Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Are "Airport" properties expected to have shuttles?

Are "Airport" properties expected to have shuttles?

Old Sep 20, 2014, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
I also find it irritating when resorts do not use the word "resort" in their name. Not being a resort provides certain benefits. I think if you are a resort, you should say so. Doesn't happen often, but there are several in Orlando like this.
This to me is done intentionally to mislead the consumer. One day someone is going to Sue Marriott over False Advertising.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 9:37 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by cova
To get back to the original example - the train from Manchester Piccadilly is 15 minutes via non-stop train for 4.10 GBP. That is actually cheaper and more convenient than getting from the Manchester Airport Marriott to the Manchester Airport.
You then have a 10-15 minute walk from the station at MAN to the terminals. That's longer than the 6 taxi from the Marriott would take.

You'd have to be crazy to stay in the City Centre if all you were doing was flying out of MAN.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
You then have a 10-15 minute walk from the station at MAN to the terminals. That's longer than the 6 taxi from the Marriott would take.

You'd have to be crazy to stay in the City Centre if all you were doing was flying out of MAN.
The best alternative is to stay at another hotel at the MAN airport - like the Hilton Garden Inn - across the street from the train arrival station at MAN.

Of course if you are out at the airport at any hotel - you are somewhat isolated. The extra few minutes taking the 4.10 train is worth it - since you are in the city that evening.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 10:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by cova
TPA Airport Marriott is also in the terminal.

Monorail, right-in-terminal, etc. meet the requirement - same as a shuttle. The Monorail would be considered a form of shuttle. Use your feet to walk and you are shuttling. Using the word "shuttle" means that there is regular transportation to the airport - short of having to make your own arrangements (taxi or rental car).

To get back to the original example - the train from Manchester Piccadilly is 15 minutes via non-stop train for 4.10 GBP. That is actually cheaper and more convenient than getting from the Manchester Airport Marriott to the Manchester Airport. Maybe then all the Center City hotels in MAN would be more appropriate as an airport hotel than the Airport Marriott. The city of Manchester has 3 free "MetroShuttles" which circulate the city and the train stations.

The DoubleTree across from Piccadilly MAN train station is more convenient.

I still think the word "Airport" in the name implies some convenient transportation method. One can take a taxi or drive a car from any location to the airport.
By the same argument, from SEA one should use the light rail to downtwon hotels rather than paying for an airport hotel's shuttle service.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hotels with Airport in the name just tells me they are near the airport. Any other information I need I go to the website and see what it says.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:21 pm
Suspended

Courtyard DFW Airport West Bedford DOES NOT!

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...-west-bedford/

Here is a very easy way to find out if your Marriott property provides an airport shuttle. -- Use the Transportation Box on the right hand side of the screen and there is a drop down box to check off requesting those properties that have an "Airport Shuttle."

The above-noted hotel drops off the screen when doing so.

Q.E.D.

Of course, one still must delve further and probably contact the property to see if the shuttle runs 24 hours/day -- if you need that -- and/or whether there is a charge or not, but this removes those properties that have airport or the acronym for an airport in their name as the above-mentioned property actually has both!!!

Last edited by NJUPINTHEAIR; Sep 22, 2014 at 5:26 am
Old Sep 22, 2014, 8:23 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Sky Miles, and S&H Green Stamps
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
ATL Marriott is connected to the airport by the monorail. At PHL, the Marriott is right in the terminal, so no shuttle is needed.
Aaaah. But the Atlanta Airport Marriott is NOT connected to the airport by the monorail. You have confused it with the Atlanta Airport Marriott Gateway.

The Atlanta Airport Marriott has a bus shuttle.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 8:25 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Sky Miles, and S&H Green Stamps
Originally Posted by Baze
Hotels with Airport in the name just tells me they are near the airport. Any other information I need I go to the website and see what it says.
Hotels with _____ in the name just tells me they have something to do with ______ and I need to research more which includes a visit to FT.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 11:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Old Hickory
Aaaah. But the Atlanta Airport Marriott is NOT connected to the airport by the monorail. You have confused it with the Atlanta Airport Marriott Gateway.

The Atlanta Airport Marriott has a bus shuttle.
Sorry. I hadn't realized that there is more than one FS Marriott at the ATL airport.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 5:02 pm

It is reasonable to assume that they would, but this is not always the case. I guess that the availability of a shuttle is determined by (1) Marriott's policy regarding it's owned or operated hotels, (2) the franchise agreement or (3) what the local market dictates.

Also, as others have suggested, it is always prudent to confirm with a hotel that offers a shuttle, the exact operating hours and whether the shuttle operates on demand or simply periodically circles the airport's arrival areas.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

4) Local laws. Some actually prohibit hotels from running their own shuttles.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
4) Local laws. Some actually prohibit hotels from running their own shuttles.
Vicki, that's a new one for me. Would you please cite an example?

Thanks.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by SCEflyer
Vicki, that's a new one for me. Would you please cite an example?

Thanks.
Example: SFO - Hotels are mandated to use shared shuttles and not their own. And for some reason they didn't pair up by chain or even proximity.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by RogerD408
Example: SFO - Hotels are mandated to use shared shuttles and not their own. And for some reason they didn't pair up by chain or even proximity.
While I see your point, may I respectfully suggest that you might be splitting hairs? At the end of the day, the hotel does provide a shuttle service, not necessarily its own, but a shuttle nonetheless.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As mentioned previously on this thread Heathrow hotels are not allowed to offer free shuttles. The Hoppa is a paid shuttle, or you can use the public bus.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.