using spouse's free night

Old Aug 21, 2014, 12:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by joshua362
Yes, exactly this. Seems to be an artificial restriction designed to discourage use through unreasonable restrictions.
Actually I figure it's Marriott's way of increasing the breakage rate - ie, cert going unused. But that's just my take on it.

There are a few things that are technically against Marriott T&Cs, yet Marriott doesn't necessarily enforce them. If they (or properties) were so inclined to do so to the nth degree they could; that they don't to me means they're willing to let it slide unless it becomes a problem.

And getting back to the OP - he's been given the instructions should his wife decide to use the cert for him even though she can't be there.

Cheers.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 3:33 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Actually I figure it's Marriott's way of increasing the breakage rate - ie, cert going unused. But that's just my take on it.
I think we said or meant the same thing, you just more eloquently as usual.

Originally Posted by CJKatl
Both points certs and cc/bonus certs are non-transferrable. Certs issued for points can, per the T&Cs, be issued in the name of a third party. The cc/bonus certs are issued in the name of the person who earned the cc/bonus cert only. (Look at #8 under Hotel Rewards.)

Last year, when this came up, I asked on the Insiders site. The Marriott rep checked and a day later confirmed intra-family transfers are against their terms. You can justify by calling the clear restrictions unreasonable. That's your choice, but let's recognize it for what it is.
I agree its against the T&C but have no problem "correcting" an unreasonable situation when I feel being taken advantage of. I paid my annual fee in exchange for the night (which is harder and harder to use). I don't chase certificates anymore but I read the hoops & efforts of others that do. I've had many certificates expire because I ran out of time to use them. And the clerk at the $79 a night Fairfield Inn just doesn't care...

Last edited by joshua362; Aug 21, 2014 at 3:43 pm
Old Aug 24, 2014, 4:56 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum, AA EXP, UA Gold
YMMV.. but... (anecdotal)

I run a non-profit program and one of my staff members needed to drive her students to orientation. She asked if we could pay for lodging. I said no, but I had a free cert that we could try and use.

I called MR Platinum line and explained the situation. They added her name to the reservation and booked it under my MR numbers. Very kind, very helpful, very willing to help us out.

She checked in and out without incident. I even got the points in lieu of welcome amenity. ^

YMMV... but it worked out for us.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.