Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tip envelopes in rooms

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2014, 7:03 pm

Programs: MR Gold, IHG Gold AMB
Originally Posted by dimramon
When I got to my room, there was a tip envelope sitting on the desk in front of the lamp. It had the name of the housekeeper and my room number on the envelope.
Never experienced that. I'd find that extremely tacky.

Originally Posted by Often1
At higher end properties, the staff keeps track of everything, including tips. That's why some people get great rooms when they come back and others get the ice machine.
I do recognize you're just trying to troll but the idea that the front desk manager systematically executes revenge to guest who didn't tip housekeeping during previous stays is just too comical to deserve a rebuttal.

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I always leave a tip... I would not want to clean someone else's scummy bathroom habits - I think they well deserve it.
I wouldn't want to run a hotel either, so I guess the GM deserves a tip, too. I'd hate to frisk people so a hefty tip goes to the TSA gal. Actually there are hundreds of jobs I wouldn't want to do, apparently all deserving tips for that reason!
Old Jun 14, 2014, 12:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I've always assumed that the purpose of the cards with the housekeeper's name is to encourage them to take pride in their work and perhaps raise morale a bit.
Old Jun 14, 2014, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The whole tipping thing is just so confusing. I am actually seeing more and more instances where hotel or parking shuttle bus drivers are not tipped - even after helping people with their bags. In Taiwan, where tipping is not the norm, they are trying to get the tipping thing going at hotels.

I too keep my hotel rooms tidy - I actually clean up a little and return things to where they were when I check out. So, unless it is very high end hotels, I don't tip anymore. I think they should tip me for making their lives easy
Old Jun 17, 2014, 6:09 am

Programs: BA
I always leave hotel junk mail (tip requests, bills etc.) in a pile on the desk when I leave. Anyway I believe you should only tip when the service was exceptional - and as most of my travel is business and my company doesn't refund tips or service charges exceptional really has to be exceptional.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
When I'm staying at a hotel in NAmerica I always leave a tip for the housekeeper, and scribble a "thank you" on the note pad where I leave the money. $1 a night is the norm. My only concern is that it is somehow shared with the night staff who do turndowns. These women (and occasionally men) have the toughest job in the hotel business, making beds (how often do you change the sheets?), cleaning washrooms, clearing away our messes (not that I consciously leave a mess)...and they earn the least money. Actually I would prefer to find an envelop.

Elsewhere in the world, there is a service charge added to the bill, which I assume is divided amongst the housekeeping staff, so I don't leave anything at these properties.

Let's face it, until the US adopts a living wage minimum wage, and we are willing to pay an extra couple of dollars a night to ensure the lowest paid staff get such a wage, then as with wait staff, it becomes the customer who must subsidize the employer by leaving tips for the poorest paid. Unfortunately, the government also "tips" by providing food stamps, medicaid and other support programs because companies like Macdonalds and Walmart won't pay a living wage...surely they are great Corporate Welfare Bums!)
Old Jun 17, 2014, 6:16 am

Programs: UA-Gold AA-Gold, Marriott Lifetime Tit. Elite
Originally Posted by writerguyfl
I've worked in two upscale hotels. In one, tips weren't tracked. In the other, all cash tips were meticulously tracked. It had nothing to do with the guest. Rather, tips were tracked to ensure that the employees were adhering to tax laws. Additionally, that data was collected and used during union labor negotiations.

I can only speak to where I worked...but, I agree that idea that tips are formally tracked is far-fetched.

First, as a general rule, the overwhelming majority of Housekeeping employees don't ever use computers. That fact means they aren't tracking guest tips.

Second, the people who are assigning rooms are usually managers or supervisors. Even if tips were tracked via guest profiles, there would be no incentive for those folks to give a high tipping repeat guest a better room than a stingy repeat guest.

This seems to infer if used in negotiations, that the more that is tipped, on average, at a hotel, then they can use that to "pay less" on an hourly basis. I would imagine those tracking were mainly for tax purposes, but the union negotiation, while logical, seems to imply that encouraging tipping by guests just inflates profits by hotels....perhaps in lieu of raising room rates....perhaps to just pad the bottom line...
Old Jun 17, 2014, 6:53 am

Programs: MR Gold, IHG Gold AMB
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Let's face it, until the US adopts a living wage minimum wage, and we are willing to pay an extra couple of dollars a night to ensure the lowest paid staff get such a wage, then as with wait staff, it becomes the customer who must subsidize the employer by leaving tips for the poorest paid.
Yes, if you subsidize big businesses by tipping, wages will only decrease and you will feel obligated to tip even more.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 10:59 am

Programs: Outgrew all status except AA: Plat for life (the program's); Costco: Ex Plat
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jn in ca
An envelope marked "tips" is only one small step above having the employees' kids beg for change at the entrance to the hotel restaurant.
+100
Old Jun 17, 2014, 11:13 am

No problem

Nothing wrong with it. It clearly identifies the tip and there is no obligation. I have had housekeepers ask me if the money left was intended for them. Especially in foreign countries, employees are given very strict instructions on removing items, even if it clearly is left out for them.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 11:20 am

Get With It

After reading the boards, I wonder what is wrong with some people. Being a housekeeper is not an easy job. Leaving a dollar or two sure adds to a basic wage that is fully earned. It seems the people who worry about tipping a maid, also have a problem with a waiter. Think about it, if higher wages were paid the cost of the room would be more. As far as not being reimbursed are you really going to miss a dollar a day (or more if you are feeling generous) to someone who really deserves it. Believe me after seeing what is expected and accomplished by a maid, I have no qualms about sharing a dollar or two. If your really concerned make it up by taking the soap and shampoo with you. With a tip is just might be replaced everyday, needed or not.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by writerguyfl
I've worked in two upscale hotels. In one, tips weren't tracked. In the other, all cash tips were meticulously tracked. It had nothing to do with the guest. Rather, tips were tracked to ensure that the employees were adhering to tax laws. Additionally, that data was collected and used during union labor negotiations.
Yeah! We definitely don't want the lowest paid of society to emulate those with big incomes who hide their money abroad.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 11:34 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
Originally Posted by Mooseley
It seems the people who worry about tipping a maid, also have a problem with a waiter.
Two completely different animals. The minimum wage for waitstaff is set much lower than other hourly workers due to the expectation of tips. When housekeeping starts earning two bucks plus change per hour, then I'll feel obligated to tip.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by plagwate
The minimum wage for waitstaff is set much lower than other hourly workers due to the expectation of tips.
In some states.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 5:01 pm

Programs: HAL Platinum, JetBlue, KrisFlyer, NWA, USAirways, Alaska Air
There was a tip envelope in my room when I was on a Navigator of the Seas cruise a few months back. The name of the person and room number were on it. I assumed it was because they might not be the person working when the envelope is picked up, and that insures the proper attendant is given the tip.

I always leave a tip on the pillow with a thank you note - every day I'm there. That usually insures a little better treatment. Plus, I know shifts change and people don't work every day I'm there, so that insures the right person is tipped, not just the one working the last day I'm there. A couple of bucks here and there are expected expenses for us. For Housekeeping staff, it may mean better groceries or a fuller gas tank. I don't mind.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by BSpeaker
There was a tip envelope in my room when I was on a Navigator of the Seas cruise a few months back. The name of the person and room number were on it. I assumed it was because they might not be the person working when the envelope is picked up, and that insures the proper attendant is given the tip.

I always leave a tip on the pillow with a thank you note - every day I'm there. That usually insures a little better treatment. Plus, I know shifts change and people don't work every day I'm there, so that insures the right person is tipped, not just the one working the last day I'm there. A couple of bucks here and there are expected expenses for us. For Housekeeping staff, it may mean better groceries or a fuller gas tank. I don't mind.

+1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.