Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Cancun, Mexico [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 15, 2019, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Club 91 email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2014, 7:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold

We are staying in a Luxury 1 BR Suite; My rate does not include breakfast.

I believe that I will get access to CL. Will that cover myself and 2 guests for breakfast?

arrival gift?

room upgrade?
Old Jun 3, 2014, 7:25 pm

Programs: Hilton - Diamond / Marriott - Platinum / SPG - Platinum / Priority Club - Platinum
Originally Posted by caseminole
We are staying in a Luxury 1 BR Suite; My rate does not include breakfast.

I believe that I will get access to CL. Will that cover myself and 2 guests for breakfast?

arrival gift?

room upgrade?

Nada! Stayed there in feb as a PP, and got ZIP. (No lounge either) I must say it was a great vaca though.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrival gift
Old Jun 3, 2014, 9:42 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
No.

Resorts are excluded from the Guaranteed Lounge Access/Free Breakfast benefit.

arrival gift?
Yes.

500 points or a $10 food/beverage credit. It's officially guaranteed.

room upgrade?
Maybe.

But the key sentence is: "Based on room availability at check-in and limited to a Member's personal guestroom, we’ll do our best to upgrade your room." You booked a "Luxury 1 BR Suite," so maybe you can get one with a very nice view. Be sure to ask about an upgrade.

Remember you also get "Free Internet Access - Premium Tiered Service."

See http://www.marriott.com/rewards/memb...ts/platinum.mi

Also see http://www.marriott.com/rewards/memb...s/guarantee.mi
Old Jun 3, 2014, 11:33 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by Horace
Resorts are excluded from the Guaranteed Lounge Access/Free Breakfast benefit.[/url]
True, but with the exception of a few resorts (and the St Pancras Renaissance-which sniffs at mere golds) with "private clubs", if the resort has a lounge (and some of them do), then plats/golds get access.

Last edited by ohmark; Jun 5, 2014 at 2:04 pm
Old Jun 4, 2014, 2:56 am

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
There is no CL as such as the JW Marriott in Cancun. The only lounge is Club 91 which is only available to guests paying for a Club 91 room.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by Horace
No.

Resorts are excluded from the Guaranteed Lounge Access/Free Breakfast benefit.

Yes.

500 points or a $10 food/beverage credit. It's officially guaranteed.

Maybe.

But the key sentence is: "Based on room availability at check-in and limited to a Member's personal guestroom, we’ll do our best to upgrade your room." You booked a "Luxury 1 BR Suite," so maybe you can get one with a very nice view. Be sure to ask about an upgrade.

Remember you also get "Free Internet Access - Premium Tiered Service."

See http://www.marriott.com/rewards/memb...ts/platinum.mi

Also see http://www.marriott.com/rewards/memb...s/guarantee.mi

Considering everyone gets Internet via the Resort Fee it really isn't a perk. I rarely stay at Marriotts in Florida or the Caribbean anymore due to the lack of benefits for Platinums. Without a doubt there are Better options than Marriott in Florida/Caribbean. I think Florida has like 33 Marriott Resorts. None that I am aware of give you much. I think the Marriott at Seaworld gives an extra 1000 pts and Grande Lakes JW gives you free parking.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
Wow. None of this sounds all that good.

A 5-star hotel in a glamorous vacation spot, and top tier status, and all I can expect is a "possible" upgrade with a better room view and a dining credit?

I thought the benefits would be MUCH better than all that
Old Jun 4, 2014, 3:22 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List

A 5-star hotel in a glamorous vacation spot, and top tier status, and all I can expect is a "possible" upgrade with a better room view and a dining credit?

Probably should have researched it more if it mattered. Other programs may have been better suited for you.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 5:41 pm

Programs: LTP, PP

Yup. I'm a long time Platinum Preferred and its hard to expect much...
Old Jun 4, 2014, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joshua362
Yup. I'm a long time Platinum Preferred and its hard to expect much...
Good to know (I think!?!?)

We'll see if the upgrade pans out then.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Resorts are packed with platinums on vacation. Wailea told me once that half the peopel staying there over Thanksgiving that week were Plat or Gold.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 11:57 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, Marriott Plat
I don't think I have ever been charged a resort fee at JW Cancun (or CasaMagna next door either) so free internet is a real perk even if maybe not a huge one.

Elite status (Platinum, maybe Gold also?) also gives you 15% discount on breakfast, maybe on in-room dining and restaurant dinners as well but not sure if I remember this one correctly.

We have always been upgraded, too, but we are not from US and have probably stayed there outside of US mass vacation times so maybe fewer Plats among other guests when we have been there.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
Resorts are packed with platinums on vacation. Wailea told me once that half the peopel staying there over Thanksgiving that week were Plat or Gold.
I accept this as I was told this in Aruba too. HOWEVER this is true at ALL chains SPG/ Hilton included and somehow they offer the benefits at resorts that Marriott doesn't.

I preach it often. Marriott should not be your chain of choice if you stay mainly in Florida/Caribbean. Way too many Resorts with no benefits. Way Too many "hotels" called "resorts" too.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But it is relevant as far as upgrades to be expected.

And unfortunately booking a suite makes you harder to upgrade. Booking a standard no-view room makes all other options an upgrade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.