Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 9, 2014, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: centrifuge41
Social accounts, shared by members of Flyertalk.

Twitter
Marriott Properties:Renaissance PropertiesFacebook
Marriott Properties:Renaissance Properties:

* indicates received points
^ indicates didn't receive points
Print Wikipost

Marriott Rewards - Plus Points

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2014, 7:26 pm

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
Originally Posted by burmans
On the positive side now points for 4 actions per 24 hours.
Thanks for posting that. Big changes indeed. It's now much harder to get 2000 points. Before we could just do 8 twitter follows at once and get 2000 points a week later.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 10:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by shakezula
Answered my own question!
MASSIVE change in the points accrual.
See here

Summary:
25 points for twitter/Instagram follow. No FB.
25 points for hashtag use on twitter/Instagram, must also use hashtag #MRPoints. No FB, again.
25 points for FB check in.
25 points for RT content on twitter, must also include #MRPoints hashtag.

Sounds like they really tightened things up.
Still max 2000 points per month.
So instead of 250 points for Liking or Following a Marriott they have now decided to offer only 25?
So lots more clicks to get the 2000. Don't think I'll be bothering with that then.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 10:45 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium; UA 1K; Hertz Presidents Club
Originally Posted by HIDDY
So instead of 250 points for Liking or Following a Marriott they have now decided to offer only 25?
So lots more clicks to get the 2000. Don't think I'll be bothering with that then.
Agreed... absolutely a waste of time. I am surprised they changed it so drastically. 10% of the points you would have previously earned! Does this count as another devaluation?
Old Jul 14, 2014, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
The worst is that MR doesn't even tell us about the change. I unliked all the hotel pages on FB.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow, I just saw this, explains why my FB likes aren't getting anything. Not cool.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 1:14 pm

Just received email from Marriott with changes detailed:

Thank you for registering for PlusPoints Beta! Your participation provided new insight on ways to improve the program. As a result, we have increased the number of participating properties and simplified the way you earn points on social media actions. You can now earn points on four Marriott Rewards® related social media actions per day, with a 2,000 points maximum earning every 30 days.

Easily earn 25 points per social media action when you:
• Follow a Twitter account or Instagram page
• Re-tweet content and add the #MRpoints hashtag
• Check in on Facebook
• Include the #MRpoints hashtag with #LoveMarriottRewards, #RenHotels or #AutographHotels hashtags in Twitter or Instagram posts
Learn more about how to reward yourself using your PlusPoints Beta registration and get information about the program. We look forward to sharing with you on social media.

Sincerely,

Your Marriott Rewards Team
Old Jul 14, 2014, 1:21 pm

Programs: DL Gold; MR Plat
I wonder if the Daily Limits are still in place, or if I can just Hashtag like crazy one day a week to maximize the reward.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by Xialater
I wonder if the Daily Limits are still in place, or if I can just Hashtag like crazy one day a week to maximize the reward.
It looks like now you can only earn 100 points per 24 hours (4 actions per 24 hours @ 25 points/action). See https://www.marriottrewardspluspoint...overview-chart
Old Jul 14, 2014, 2:51 pm

Maybe it is just me but it looks like they added properties participating.

I think they pulled a UA on this one....started a promotion with an average implementation at best (missing points, spam emails, sporadic confirmation emails, awarded points over the max threshold, etc.). They also completely slash the promotion so in the remaining months you have to make exponentially more actions to get the same number of points.

Either they are giving away far more points than they thought or they aren't getting the quality of data from our Twitter/FB accounts to have any meaningful use for.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 2:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Originally Posted by nova08
Maybe it is just me but it looks like they added properties participating.

I think they pulled a UA on this one....started a promotion with an average implementation at best (missing points, spam emails, sporadic confirmation emails, awarded points over the max threshold, etc.). They also completely slash the promotion so in the remaining months you have to make exponentially more actions to get the same number of points.

Either they are giving away far more points than they thought or they aren't getting the quality of data from our Twitter/FB accounts to have any meaningful use for.
The program was clearly indicated as "beta" --- so they didn't pull a UA on this one, at least IMHO.

It will be interesting to see how "likes" from last week (promised at 250 points each) actually materialize when (if) they post this week.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 3:39 pm

Programs: MR Plat, HH Gold, AA Gold, UA Silver
Now I understand now why I had 6 random emails awarding my account on Saturday for follows and likes with only 25 points each. They were likes and follows that took me over the 2000 pt limit in the previous month.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 5:05 pm

Maybe they are bouncing between extremes, looking for a sweet spot. I haven't looked at the Marriott chain's balance sheets, but it might be that 250 points a pop was generating too much liability too fast for them, and wouldn't that have to come from someone's budget?

I can't speak for others, but at 250 each, I'd follow and like properties for as long as they give me points at that rate. At 25 each, I'll blow it off completely and would encourage everyone who reads this to do the same.

Perhaps they will eventually find a reasonable amount to compensate people for helping them market the chain, but 25 points per like/follow isn't even close. If people show themselves to be too agreeable to this new rate, Marriott will pat themselves on the back for getting their social media marketing for 10% of what they were giving just a few weeks ago.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by zippy the pinhead
Maybe they are bouncing between extremes, looking for a sweet spot. I haven't looked at the Marriott chain's balance sheets, but it might be that 250 points a pop was generating too much liability too fast for them, and wouldn't that have to come from someone's budget?

I can't speak for others, but at 250 each, I'd follow and like properties for as long as they give me points at that rate. At 25 each, I'll blow it off completely and would encourage everyone who reads this to do the same.

Perhaps they will eventually find a reasonable amount to compensate people for helping them market the chain, but 25 points per like/follow isn't even close. If people show themselves to be too agreeable to this new rate, Marriott will pat themselves on the back for getting their social media marketing for 10% of what they were giving just a few weeks ago.

I won't be liking their pages on facebook for a paltry 25 points either. Maybe 250 was to high for them. But 25 is certainly an extreme to the other end
Old Jul 14, 2014, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by dgreen12
The program was clearly indicated as "beta" --- so they didn't pull a UA on this one, at least IMHO.

It will be interesting to see how "likes" from last week (promised at 250 points each) actually materialize when (if) they post this week.
Yes it is a beta but they still drastically changed the entire program half way through the promotion. It is not like they made a few subtle changes.

Additionally, if you plug in https://www.marriottrewardspluspoints.com/ into a website archive you'll see reference to "beta" on the current page much more than the original page back in May.

For instance, the original page in May said:
Congratulations on being among the first Marriott Rewards® members to participate in Plus Points
It now says:
Congratulations on participating in the Marriott Rewards® PlusPoints Beta pilot.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 9:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Silver
Bummer - gravy train has come to an end. But glad I grabbed a few thousand points while I could. I thought 250 points was too many for a simple Facebook like or Twitter follow, but 25 is now too low. The sweet spot for me would be about 100 points. I'll still do it at 25 points when I think of it, but not going to go out of my way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.