Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Marquis Washington DC [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 3, 2014, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DELee
M Lounge open 24/7. On weekends evening food/drink service is not available Fri/Sat eve, but is open for breakfast Sat/Sun mornings. Per goodeats21: "During breakfast and evening hors d'oeuvres, there was a staff member posted at the door to check off names to ensure access was eligible."

Property Details: 16 floors, 1126 rooms, 49 suites

Hat tip to driggity: "I parked in the City Center parking garage a couple of blocks south on 9th. It was a relatively short walk and was $21 for overnight parking in an underground garage. I was there a Thursday through Tuesday and never had an issue with finding a spot when arriving between 4:30 and 6:30 PM. I didn't mind the walk and once taxes are included it was over $30 a night cheaper than parking at the hotel."

Per goodeats21: "lots of siren/traffic on Mass Ave. Light sleepers should definitely request atrium room. I was on 14th floor and it was still noticeable.

Easy access via connected hallway to convention center.

Closest Metro stop is "Mt Vernon Sq 7th St-Convention Center". Easy 5 minute walk to Marquis."

Also a lot of reports on TripAdvisor that people are gettingg back to their rooms late afternoon/early evening & the rooms haven't been cleaned yet by housekeeping.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Marquis Washington DC [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2014, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by TJQuill
Someone else will have to weigh in on breakfast and Platinum treatment as I haven't stayed at the Metro Center location in years.

Marquis is definitely a nicer, newer hotel. Metro Center was pretty unremarkable when I stayed there.

If you are going to be hiking around and doing the tourist thing, Metro Center is those five blocks closer to White House, the Smithsonians, the Mall, etc... Not a big deal if you do it once, but adds up after a couple of days. Also, obviously, sitting right on top of a Metro stop rather than being three blocks away as the Marquis is.

Metro Center is right in the middle of the restaurants and life of that part of the city. The Marquis is sort of on the edge, bordering on the "less nice" part of town. Nothing right next to it, and nothing heading any direction besides south which you are going to want to walk to.

Make sure you eat at the Shake Shack on the low end. And if you like Mediterranean, Zaytinya is a good Med tapas place (get the lamb shank). If you make it over the Georgetown and like Italian, Filomena's is an institution.
Thanks, after reading your reply I feel like staying at Metro Center will be best choice for me.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 11:52 am

Programs: AA-gold(MM); Marriott-Lifetime Titanium Elite; Hilton-Gold;
Hey Ski, thanks for a very detailed review. I stay in DC pretty often, the JW being my first choice. After its growing pains I may give it a chance. Awesome that the Executive lounge is open weekends.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 4:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by trekker954
Hey Ski, thanks for a very detailed review. I stay in DC pretty often, the JW being my first choice. After its growing pains I may give it a chance. Awesome that the Executive lounge is open weekends.
Just to clarify. I wasn't the one who did the detailed reviews. Awesome e.l. is open weekends - not so awesome if there isn't any food or cutlery

What I'm still interested in (if someone wants to try it while they're there to see if it works)

"Amenities via mobile app: In addition to checking in and out of their rooms using the company’s mobile app, guests at the Marriott Marquis Washington, D.C. can request everything from more blankets to wake-up calls with the push of a button. This is the first Marriott hotel in the Washington area to provide the amenities-via-app service, which the company began rolling out last year."

Cheers.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 9:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: DeltaPrivateJet, Ritz PP, Delta 4 million miler - Flying Colonel; AA Exec Plat (3 million + USAir)
The Mayflower is my favorite next to Ritz
Old Jun 29, 2014, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Marriott Marquis Washington DC

I sm getting a little tired of these huge hotels not having the lounge capacity and staffing to handle the numbers.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
I sm getting a little tired of these huge hotels not having the lounge capacity and staffing to handle the numbers.
Agree. And you would think since it's the new flagship hotel in DC for Marriott and such a behemoth that they would plan accordingly.

Cheers.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 7:38 am

I wanted to provide a little extra info on the Marriott Marquis in Washington DC. The lounge is open for breakfast all weekend but they don't have the evening hors d'oeuvres on Friday or Saturday evening. They have some yogurt covered raisins, pretzels, mixed nuts, water, soda and juice, but not the meats, cheeses, and veggies that they have other nights. They also don't have alcohol for sale Friday or Saturday evening.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 6:01 pm
Zip

Programs: UA-MM; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold
We stayed there a couple weeks earlier than driggity. He beat us to the Fri & Sat "no hors d'oeuvres" lounge policy. However, both days (Fri & Sat), they had out the yogurt covered raisins, pretzels, mixed nuts, chocolate kisses, and fresh-cut veggies and dip -- all afternoon and evening. Yes, they were replaced regularly. Could be because there was a huge meeting at the convention center (infectious diseases??); the lounge as quite busy. Breakfast was always busy, but everyone could always find a seat. I thought the lounge was huge!

We were given an "upgraded view room" on the 9th floor. At first I was a bit disappointed, but I they realized it was a better view than the "atrium views" on the 12th floor. Seemed that almost all of the non-suite rooms were the same size.

Valet experience (for $47/day) was horrible; did any of them know how to start/stop a hybrid?? Fortunately ours turns off automatically after about 45 min. Think that happened first night; didn't pick up the car until our departure 3 days later. Got down front shortly after we called, and the car was there. Valet gave me the "keys," and said they had just shut it off. Got in, and the electrical engine was running, and that engine's battery indicator showed it was near-discharged; I have never seen it that low any other time. Complained to the valets, and wasted time going to the front desk, but noone seemed to care about this.

After a great experience with caring staff all three days, what a terrible way to end the stay.

Last edited by Zip; Sep 23, 2014 at 6:03 pm Reason: Correct a phrase
Old Sep 24, 2014, 12:19 pm

I'll add one more item about the parking. I parked in the City Center parking garage a couple of blocks south on 9th. It was a relatively short walk and was $21 for overnight parking in an underground garage. I was there a Thursday through Tuesday and never had an issue with finding a spot when arriving between 4:30 and 6:30 PM. I didn't mind the walk and once taxes are included it was over $30 a night cheaper than parking at the hotel.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by driggity
I'll add one more item about the parking. I parked in the City Center parking garage a couple of blocks south on 9th. It was a relatively short walk and was $21 for overnight parking in an underground garage. I was there a Thursday through Tuesday and never had an issue with finding a spot when arriving between 4:30 and 6:30 PM. I didn't mind the walk and once taxes are included it was over $30 a night cheaper than parking at the hotel.
Good to know. Thx.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 10:45 am

Based on another thread, checked tripadvisor for recent reviews of this property. Guess not everyone is enamored of the Dine My Way concept:

As a business traveler, however, I am not impressed with their weird version of "room service." As others have said, they have a limited menu and your food is brought to your room in a plastic bag with plastic containers and plastic utensils. After a long day with work still left to do, I don't think it's asking too much to order a decent dinner on a real plate. I don't buy their argument that people don't want the expense or intrusion of room service.

This property is piloting a "Have it Your Way" menu which basically amounts to prepackaged food warmed in a microwave and dropped at your door in a plastic bag. it was like I paid someone to run to Starbucks and get me something from the freezer case. Have it THEIR way is more like it. Clearly it's a cost saving measure - but a deal breaker for me who puts high value on convenience and actually havings things MY way.

Room service menus are sparse to a Spartan degree. And they bring in a take-out bag... not 5-star quality.

The downside: room service doesn't exist. Instead you can have delivery from the hotel restaurant, and their food is terrible. I ordered an egg and spinach and cheese wrap, and it was clearly a frozen wrap reheated in a microwave. The too half was still cold when I but into it.

Marriott Room Service - "Your Way" ... is NOT your way... It is a sack lunch... their way.
An experience unlike any full service Marriott. A fixed limited menu that is unlike any full service Marriott. Marriott can do better and should.

The other thing that seemed to crop up with some frequency is that people would come back late afternoons or even in early evening & their rooms hadn't been serviced yet.

The property has assigned someone to respond to all TripAdvisor reports. Title is "Front Office Voyager". Most of her responses are canned, although some she says she's passed it along to the various depts or it won't happen again if they stay again.

Cheers.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 8:17 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
no recent updates? i'd expect service and issues to be improved by now... one year later
Old Apr 30, 2015, 9:10 am
Suspended

Significant other and I had a recent stay, we really enjoyed it. As a Platinum was upgraded to a nice suite but that could have been due to the fact that the wife was being honored for her being the recipient of an award from an organization that had taken a block of rooms at the hotel.

24/7 lounge was also quite nice.

Enjoy!
Old May 18, 2015, 4:29 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
stayed last week for 5 nights as part of a conference on-site.

hotel has been practically sold out recently due to events and graduations in the area, so i did not get an upgrade as a Gold. The agent apologized for not being able to grant me one (I did not inquire.. he mentioned, himself). I was put on the 15th floor (requested due to colleagues on same floor). Originally on 12th. I utilized app online check in before i even made it to DC.

Drop-off/valet can be an incredible pain and cluster depending on time of day. I just did Uber.

Check in/out was smooth and efficient despite the size of the hotel. Never had to wait.

M lounge is really nice and you can get a good fill-up at breakfast. Plates shouldn't be housed below the specialty coffee machine, tho, as i had to move out of the way several times for those needing a plate. I managed to figure out the steam cleaner machine thing. Worked really well, too. I used the "refresh" feature for two shirts and it took about 35 minutes to complete. They do need to provide some instructions, tho, as I have no clue what half of the features were for. I don't think anyone else did, either. Honor bar entirely too expensive.

The lobby, restaurants, and bars are laid out really well. I didn't dine at the restaurants but did have a few drinks here and there.

Everyone on the staff I encountered was very polite. Customer service is definitely top-notch for a major metro area hotel of this size.

It's a 10+ minute walk to any of the 4 closest Metro stops. Convenience to Chinatown is great.

Four levels of meeting spaces below the lobby means they host most anything and do it well. no hiccups or technical issues at all.

Room, itself, was fresh and modern. I LOVED how the shower handle was on the opposite side of the shower head. That way you don't get soaked trying to adjust the temperature.

Splendid stay. I would most definitely recommend.
Old May 18, 2015, 6:53 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
I am a Platinum who just checked out... arrived by cab at 5 PM, very crowded entry full of vehicles, not a well designed area for a hotel of this size, especially for a convention center hotel where literally the entire hotel's slate of guests may be arriving in a several hour window of time. Just had carry-on bags so don't know how the bellman service is.

The onsite restaurants are limited... Anthem just for breakfast and lunch, High Velocity is a sports bar, a jazzed up version of Champions (owned by Marriott) is really the only venue for a sit down full dinner. And the menu is typical for a sports bar, but the item that stood out was a prime bone-in ribeye with potato and veggies for only $29. And it was excellent. There are nibbles in the atrium bar and I never saw the food menu in the Dignitary Bar.

This new style "room service", with your food being delivered in a white plastic bag with plastic utensils and plates would not be to my liking, and I did not try it.

I had a king room on 11th floor, outside view of not much. A completely typical Marriott room, plenty of electrical connections on the desk and the bedside tables. Functional bathroom, but one of my pet peeves is one bar of soap to share between the sink and the shower. I grabbed another off a housekeeping cart in the hall.

The M lounge is on the 12th floor, and has been mentioned on this board, while it is open 24/7 for water and soda, there was no food put out on Friday or Saturday evening. I had checked in on Friday, and this was not mentioned, so I did go up to the lounge 2 or three times until I realized there wasn't going to be any food. The snacks and candy were out though. There is no sign of info given at checkin as to what to expect from the lounge on any given day. Still, congrats to the lounge model which at least offers snacks and water and soft drinks over the weekend (San Diego Marquis Marina, are you listening?).

The full service upscale restaurant that was to have opened in 2014 is still not open. One of the concierges even joked about that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.