Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Free breakfast most requested thing by biz travelers...

Old Apr 13, 2014, 8:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

...edging out free i-net this year, although free i-net is listed #1 once within room. Guess I'll be keeping the exec lounge sticky going!

http://www.business-standard.com/art...1300195_1.html

Cheers.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 2:20 pm

Hopefully Courtyard sees this ...
Old Apr 13, 2014, 2:59 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by joetro
They won't care. I vote with my wallet, and only stay at a CY when it's the only Marriott brand option where I need to be or there is a very significant price difference. Even then, I never use the microwave, stand in a long line cafe, um Bistro. Funny thing is, CY manages to continue on without my business, and I manage just fine mostly staying at FS/Ren and SHS/FIs.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 5:00 pm

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum

I don't get it... mist biz travellers are on expenses account. why would they care about a usually mediocre free breakfast? I could understand if you are on holiday with wife and two kids to pay for, but when I'm on the road the hotel is the last place I want to eat.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 5:19 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by bigshooter
I don't get it... mist biz travellers are on expenses account. why would they care about a usually mediocre free breakfast?
You sure most biz travellers are on expenses account? What statistics is this based on?

Around here the norm is to get a certain fixed tax-free amount per day, aka per diem, no matter what you spend it on (or if you spend it on anything at all or just pocket it). I sure prefer "free" breakfast at the hotel instead of using part of that extra money to buy a breakfast.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 5:58 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)

When I do stay at CY and get a survey I am sure to give low points for Plat recognition. Complaints to CS don't seem to get traction but hopefully individual properties will see this as a cheap way to improve scores that do get monitored.

Local GMs do read the comments or question low scores from Elites as I often get emails asking for more detail on service failures.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Per diem at my last job and husband's current.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 3:09 am
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Unlimited expenses account in the 90's and up to the recession. Mostly fixed expenses now. Anything that adds to the cost is now unwelcome as it eats into the (also fixed) subsistence allowance. Hence free breakfast, free parking and free I-net are important considerations.

It seems strange to me that the massive (in USA) Courtyard brand and (EU) AC brand both don't do free breakfasts. In the EU this has cost AC business since for a recent stay I chose the Ren over an equally convenient AC because when I factored in the free breakfast the Ren turned out (fractionally) cheaper. Equally when I have business in the Crawley area I ALWAYS choose the Lingfield Marriott over the Gatwick Courtyard on the same maths.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 7:17 am

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
The last two companies I have worked at and heard about from friends hVe all dropped per diem. We get a maximum amount depending on what meal it is but if I don't spend the max I don't get to keep the balance of the amount. I assumed most places did this these days.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by bigshooter
I don't get it... mist biz travellers are on expenses account. why would they care about a usually mediocre free breakfast? I could understand if you are on holiday with wife and two kids to pay for, but when I'm on the road the hotel is the last place I want to eat.
I'm on an expense report. If I spend more than a certain amount per person on a meal, it needs to be approved. The few times I've exceeded the amount it's been approved without question, so the issue isn't cost. It's convenience. Who has the time to wait in line behind several other people followed by sitting at a table until your choice has been microwaved and is brought to your seat? Your stuck with the options on the menu, which is always either more or less than what you want.

Give me a CL or a cheap free breakfast buffet where I can run in, grab what I want, quickly eat and be done with breakfast. I'm in hotels 150 or so nights a year. Who wants to spend 20 minutes a day - or 3,000 minutes annually, on what can be done in five minutes, or 750 minutes annually?
Old Apr 14, 2014, 9:14 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Every additional line item on my expense report = my time, even if my company pays for it. Free breakfast = one less line item on my expense report, and one less receipt to potentially lose.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 10:37 am

Programs: DL PM/1 MM, Bonvoy LTT
Originally Posted by CJKatl

Give me a CL or a cheap free breakfast buffet where I can run in, grab what I want, quickly eat and be done with breakfast. I'm in hotels 150 or so nights a year. Who wants to spend 20 minutes a day - or 3,000 minutes annually, on what can be done in five minutes, or 750 minutes annually?
Agreed. While expenses can play into it, having the luxury to just swing by and grab something quick and easy on your way out the door is a key factor as to why I opt for places with a free breakfast buffet. No need to spend time waiting for a waitress, ordering, waiting for food, and then settling up the check. I generally eat cereal or a bagel on a normal workday at home (both of which are readily available at a buffet) so this is all I really need on the road to replicate my normal routine.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by SS255
Every additional line item on my expense report = my time, even if my company pays for it. Free breakfast = one less line item on my expense report, and one less receipt to potentially lose.
I don't need to keep receipts, but it's still a hassle not to have free breakfast.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 11:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I've traveled a lot under both systems (keep all receipts vs. flat per diem). Either way, I hate paying for breakfast.

Part of it is that it's just annoying. Another part is that many hotels offer no reasonably-priced middle option. If typical street value for a breakfast in a given city is, say, five bucks, then my choices at the hotel will be $0 (don't eat) or a $25 buffet.

The whole breakfast situation irks me slightly less if you can get the middle-ground via a Starbucks in the lobby or nearby. But not much...at the end of the day, if I have a viable choice between Courtyard and another brand, I'm booking the other brand. And if I *do* have to stay at a Courtyard, I'm going to do whatever I can to avoid spending a dime in the hotel. If I was at a CY that had the Bistro with the small items...and they allowed me to earn points on the spending...I might be tempted. (Might...)

It's kind of a shame considering there are some good newer Courtyard properties in the system.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by joetro
It still baffles me they won't have a continental breakfast offering in one of the conference rooms or the in-house restaurant. Is it that hard/expensive to offer danishes and croissants while upping room rates $5 for everyone (elite and non-elite) accross the board?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.