Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Free breakfast most requested thing by biz travelers...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2014, 12:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by bigshooter
I don't get it... mist biz travellers are on expenses account. why would they care about a usually mediocre free breakfast?
Guess you haven't factored in those who are self-employed or those who work for small firms & not large F50/F500s.

Cheers.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 12:59 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MileageGoblin
It still baffles me they won't have a continental breakfast offering in one of the conference rooms or the in-house restaurant. Is it that hard/expensive to offer danishes and croissants while upping room rates $5 for everyone (elite and non-elite) accross the board?
Or even just a credit at the Bistro...enough for a bagel/juice would make me happy.

(I'm actually okay with the Bistro concept at Courtyards... I realize 99% of CY's don't have lounges or dedicated space for a Gold/Plat breakfast.)
Old Apr 14, 2014, 1:08 pm

Programs: HH gold, Marriott PLT, LH FTL, A3 *G, IHG Plat Ambassador, CC Gold, Mileage+ Silver, TK Elite
Originally Posted by BrightlyBob
It seems strange to me that the massive (in USA) Courtyard brand and (EU) AC brand both don't do free breakfasts. In the EU this has cost AC business since for a recent stay I chose the Ren over an equally convenient AC because when I factored in the free breakfast the Ren turned out (fractionally) cheaper. Equally when I have business in the Crawley area I ALWAYS choose the Lingfield Marriott over the Gatwick Courtyard on the same maths.
For me what is being served in the US Marriotts or Rens in the CLs can hardly be called a breakfast. Restaurants of sometimes different but mostly the same food. Not even worth to go imho. Europe is a different story and btw ACs are banned on my hotel list
Old Apr 14, 2014, 1:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Sky Miles, and S&H Green Stamps
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
...edging out free i-net this year, although free i-net is listed #1 once within room. Guess I'll be keeping the exec lounge sticky going!

http://www.business-standard.com/art...1300195_1.html

Cheers.
Free Wi-Fi is here to stay because it's getting cheaper and cheaper to provide. Not so with food items. So I'm sure the wise traveller knows this and voted accordingly.

I didn't see where water was listed?
Old Apr 14, 2014, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by djswa007
For me what is being served in the US Marriotts or Rens in the CLs can hardly be called a breakfast. Restaurants of sometimes different but mostly the same food. Not even worth to go imho. Europe is a different story and btw ACs are banned on my hotel list
They are still MUCH better than the powdered eggs and disgusting sausage they serve in the FI and SHs.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 8:24 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MileageGoblin
It still baffles me they won't have a continental breakfast offering in one of the conference rooms or the in-house restaurant. Is it that hard/expensive to offer danishes and croissants while upping room rates $5 for everyone (elite and non-elite) accross the board?
I suspect that it doesn't have anything to do with how easy or hard it would be to offer some type of elite breakfast benefit at CYs.

My guess would be that they don't need to do that to bring in guests at CYs.

So why would Marriott want to force CYs to offer free breakfast to elites when CYs are already bringing in the guests as well as, if not better than any other Marriott brand?
Old Apr 14, 2014, 8:53 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
I agree with hhoope01 that the current CY business model including the bistro appears to be working well for Marriott. I have already made enough rants about how I don't like the CY bistro on FT, so I won't do it again.

I also agree with the posters who have talked about convenience. When I am traveling on business, a quick <= 15 minute breakfast is what I am looking for. Some yogurt, cereal, fresh fruit and coffee is all I really want. The offerings at most FI's and SHS's meet this requirement though sometimes the fruit is processed and not fresh. At CY I have to spend more time to get my meal in addition to spending money for breakfast. Time is the bigger annoyance factor.

Finally even though I am on expense account, I do get a daily maximum for all food for the day. I prefer not to use it on breakfast and save it for a nicer dinner. Most days I just try not to spend any where near the limit and save my company some money. My two cents....

--Jon
Old Apr 14, 2014, 9:30 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
Originally Posted by CJKatl
Funny thing is, CY manages to continue on without my business, and I manage just fine mostly staying at FS/Ren and SHS/FIs.
+1
Old Apr 14, 2014, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by FinnishFlash
You sure most biz travellers are on expenses account? What statistics is this based on?

Around here the norm is to get a certain fixed tax-free amount per day, aka per diem, no matter what you spend it on (or if you spend it on anything at all or just pocket it). I sure prefer "free" breakfast at the hotel instead of using part of that extra money to buy a breakfast.
I would assume most in US would be on expense accounts.

I have for example: $15 breakfast, $25 lunch, and $35 dinner limits.

Unfortunately I can't really combine the above to say have a $50 dinner and skip breakfast.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 9:50 pm
Original Poster

not everyone is on expense account

Not everyone is on an expense account. Geesh. There are self employed folk who travel and it's on their dime, also a lot of folk who work for small companies that don't have expensive or hi end expense accounts or per diem. Geesh.

Cheers.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 3:27 am

I didn't say everyone. I said most. Even as self employed you expense your travel. Most of the people who work for small companies do the same. Are you saying that self employed and those who work for small companies write it as "unreinbursed business expense" vs. expensing it with the business they work for?
Old Apr 15, 2014, 7:49 am

While my expenses are "unlimited" I certainly get growls or comments from upstairs if I go over the city norm without a legit business reason. While a $10 breakfast won't make a big difference, it is one less line on my expense report when it is free.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 8:13 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Also, if you are self employed, don't you only get a 50% deduction on meals? But if you get a rate that includes breakfast, the entire rate is 100% deductible.

Examples:
  • You pay $100 for the room and $15 for breakfast, you write off $107.50.
  • You pay $115 for a room with breakfast included, you write off $115.

Even if the meal is charged to the room, you only write off half of a meal expense on the folio. If the meal is included in the rate, you write off the entire expense. The same thing is, of course, true for businesses, but with a self employed borrower, there is a more immediate connection between the write off and money in the businessperson's pocket.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 8:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by iztok
I didn't say everyone. I said most. Even as self employed you expense your travel. Most of the people who work for small companies do the same. Are you saying that self employed and those who work for small companies write it as "unreinbursed business expense" vs. expensing it with the business they work for?
I was responding to the FTer who said why should biz travelers care about free breakfast since they're on expense accounts. Not everyone has the high roller expense accounts implied by that comment. And yes as a self-employed biz person, having a free brekkie or free i-net does make a dif; the same with small companies that are also on tight budgets. Being self-employed the travel gets expensed at tax time but until then it's $$ out of my pocket.

Cheers.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 9:34 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I was responding to the FTer who said why should biz travelers care about free breakfast since they're on expense accounts. Not everyone has the high roller expense accounts implied by that comment. And yes as a self-employed biz person, having a free brekkie or free i-net does make a dif; the same with small companies that are also on tight budgets. Being self-employed the travel gets expensed at tax time but until then it's $$ out of my pocket.

Cheers.
And even those of us who may be on liberal expense accounts still care about saving our companies money.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.