Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Ritz Carlton Kyoto, Japan [Master Thread]

Old May 30, 2019, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bhrubin
Expert Review (posted to Luxury Forum) from May 2018:

https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...-recovery-2624
Print Wikipost

Old Mar 20, 2014, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, MR Gold, Avis First

It opened February 7, 2014 but I don't see anything about it.

http://www.ritzcarlton.com/en/Proper...to/Default.htm

Anyone stayed? I'm thinking of staying in April but there are so many nice ryokans in the same price range.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
We are here now. Fabulous property. Service still a little spotty but they'll work out the kinks.
Review of the Ritz-Carlton Kyoto
Old Apr 3, 2014, 4:44 pm
Suspended

Enjoy, Enjoy! I wonder if the Ritz's opening has anything to do with SPG's re-categorization of the Sheraton DOWNWARDS!! Shocking, I know!
Old Apr 3, 2014, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, MR Gold, Avis First
Originally Posted by SFO777
We are here now. Fabulous property. Service still a little spotty but they'll work out the kinks.
Review of the Ritz-Carlton Kyoto
Yes, I saw that it was on your itinerary. I've been refreshing the page for days waiting for your TR!
Old Apr 4, 2014, 5:37 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by SFO777
We are here now.
How do you like the location? Are you walking distance to anything interesting?
Old May 28, 2014, 8:47 am

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
Just stayed there 2 weeks ago.

Modern hotel but not much character. Make sure you get the room facing the river, otherwise you'd be facing a cemetery. Don't like the lack of self-parking.

The location is good though not perfect. One would be in the center of Kyoto with a 10-minute walk.

Since I don't have status in Marriott or Ritz Carlton, I would prefer Hyatt Regency in Kyoto the next time, only because of the value. The service seems the same to me at both hotels.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by jarusoba
Since I don't have status in Marriott or Ritz Carlton, I would prefer Hyatt Regency in Kyoto the next time, only because of the value. The service seems the same to me at both hotels.
How are rooms comparable between the two?

We're currently booked in an Exec Regency Suite at the Hyatt.

In terms of hotel design, gardens, common grounds, etc. which did you find had a more thoughtful aesthetic reflective of the surroundings?

Thanks!
Old Aug 17, 2014, 5:34 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Memorable experience. Exceptional staff.

We arrived on property for the Daimonji festival. The main attraction being five giant bonfires are lit on mountains surrounding Kyoto. Kyoto recently has experienced some of the heaviest rains so there was a little question in our minds if the bonfires would be lit.

I had communicated with the Hotel prior to our arrival. One of the senior staff members came from the Ritz-Carlton Hong Kong so we were in good hands. Upon arrival learned we had been upgraded to a Garden suite located the top floor. The upgrade was very much appreciated facing the city. Not the Kamogawa river which is preferred of course. The suite was very spacious and well thought out. It totally respected Japanese tradition and style with of course yes the modern bent. The property owner is Sekisui House so you know there were many interesting items. We had ceiling to floor glass which looked onto a well maintained Japanese garden. Two sets of panes on the living room and bed room. There were many surfaces for laying things around along with drawers for storage. Double vanity sinks with another small sink in the restroom. Asprey amenities.

We had a plate of fruit, bottle of Roederer champagne, sweet treat and greetings from Hotel / contact. The Hotel is a make over / renovation / conversion of the Fujita Hotel. We have actually watched the transformation during the past couple years walking by the property on our way to favorite restaurant in Kyoto. The entry alone is stunning with the use of stone and water flowing. You are constantly taken into new areas similar to the dramas you watch entering Daimyo castles.

As stated the weather was not good the morning of the viewing so we had to plan our strategy with local friends to view the bonfires. It was all dependent on the rains and if they would let up a little. Before heading out we saw our contact and talked about the evening with our concerns. We talked about the property giving a few hints on items. That evening it was decided our friends would meet us at the Hotel and we would head out from there to view the main character which is easily viewed from the river bank. At six we received a call in the room from our contact telling us a room facing the Kamogawa river was being prepared so we can view the first bonfire in comfort without any possibility of getting wet. Apparently the mosquitos are pretty nasty in Kyoto this time of year also. I let him know we were a party of four that evening. Shortly thereafter a key was brought up.

We arrived into the room floored by the attention to detail. Four comfortable chairs were positioned at the window with two sets of candles (electric/battery) around the room. A bottle of champagne on ice with four bottles of sake completed the drink set. Sweet treats also. We were very thankful and appreciative of the kindness accorded. At 8 PM we were at attention for the first bonfire. It was beautiful and we got many nice pics. But that was not all. Shortly thereafter our contact came up with the guitarist who was playing in the lobby bar area for a little concert. This made a perfect evening truly memorable. The staff of the Ritz-Carlton Kyoto made all this possible. There are many things one can accomplish on their own but other things can only happen because of a caring and considerate staff.

In the past few years I've been drawn to the Ritz-Carlton brand particularly in Asia. So much so that I will pass over a brand I have highest status with in a city if the spend / experience is worthy. I know ours will not be everyone else experience but you have to know the effort is there in Kyoto. Cheers.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 12:59 pm

RTW, thank you for the write up--hopefully you can add some pics

How was the occupancy during your stay?
Old Aug 17, 2014, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Originally Posted by op487062
RTW, thank you for the write up--hopefully you can add some pics

How was the occupancy during your stay?
Sorry. I did not get any interior suite pics. We unpacked quickly so my wife was hesitant of me taking pics. I'll try for a bonfire pic from floor number 4. Got a sense the place was pretty full with only several rooms not occupied. That is the reason we had a room to view the main bonfire. We did not occupy that room for evening. Back to our garden suite.

The Hotel has three breakfast options in the morning. According to our friends only the continental option offered in the lobby lounge is available to outside visitors. The buffet and Japanese style in the morning only host registered guests. We did the buffet each morning. The rate is 4500 yen plus service (13%) plus 8% consumption tax. A good deal as friend reported her father paid 2000 yen for coffee in Lobby lounge. We walked down to ask about the Japanese breakfast set but my wife really like the pastry upstairs. Everything was very fresh with eggs to order. My wife thought the grape fruit juice was the best she has ever had. OJ was good also. The selection was above average in offering. Not extensive. The only disappointment was grill salmon and tamago which was left out under a heat lamp.

We wanted to try but had to cancel tea service in the Lobby. It looked very nice. Wish we had made it. 6000 yen plus plus. The walk to the "center" of town aka Takashimaya department store was very easy. If you walk along the canal where merchandise was transported there is an EXCEPTIONAL photo stop with a wooden long boat that used to ply the canal. My wife said it was donated to preserve the history of the neighborhood. Make sure to walk the numerous dori aka shopping streets.

In terms of transportation there are no direct links (to Hotel) but the Keihan line bound for Demachiyanagi station (Kyoto) will bring you in from Osaka with a short walk to Hotel. Get off at Sanjo station which is second from last stop noted above. Exit 12 up and walk straight north. Cross the street once. You will see the Ritz on the left of the Kamogawa river. This exit has no stairs. According to my wife this is the easiest and most cost effective from Osaka. Works in reverse. The Keihan lines are know for being reasonable. No train change.

From the area take the subway from the Hotel Okura (3 minute walk) with one change to Kyoto Station.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 11:17 am

Going to stay here end of the month-- hard to find much on the property online. Is there a lounge here? Breakfast for Golds?
Old Dec 6, 2014, 7:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by djtsukasa
Going to stay here end of the month-- hard to find much on the property online. Is there a lounge here? Breakfast for Golds?
If there is a Club Lounge you will have to pay for it. RC does not make its lounge available for free, even to its own members from what I understand. You won't get breakfast as Gold unless your room rate includes it. Having said that, it's Asia where service is better so maybe. Go in with low expectations in terms of elite bennies & they'll either be met or you'll be pleasantly surprised if you do get some.

Cheers.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 10:53 pm

The RC Kyoto does not and never planned to have a Club lounge.

You can easily call or e-mail the property to determine if Gold are given breakfast. I did not ask specific who receives the benefit.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
If there is a Club Lounge you will have to pay for it. RC does not make its lounge available for free, even to its own members from what I understand. You won't get breakfast as Gold unless your room rate includes it. Having said that, it's Asia where service is better so maybe. Go in with low expectations in terms of elite bennies & they'll either be met or you'll be pleasantly surprised if you do get some.

Cheers.
Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
The RC Kyoto does not and never planned to have a Club lounge.

You can easily call or e-mail the property to determine if Gold are given breakfast. I did not ask specific who receives the benefit.
Aaa I see. Thanks for the help guys. Cant' wait to check this property out.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
If there is a Club Lounge you will have to pay for it. RC does not make its lounge available for free, even to its own members from what I understand.
Sharon you understand correctly. If by "own members" you mean RC rewards, there are no differences in benefits for RC rewards and MC rewards. (Sorry MARRIOTT or "FS" rewards )

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.