Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott Rewards 2014 Hotel Category Changes

Marriott Rewards 2014 Hotel Category Changes

Old Mar 18, 2014, 2:01 pm

Programs: AC SE, Marriott Platinum Lifetime, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Platinum,
It's not just the Visa Certs. The last two years of Megabonus offers have been Cat 1-5 certificates for me. So along with the Chase cert, that's 7 nights.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I also see some properties moving up two categories from 7->9, such as the vacationclub locations in Aruba.

Meanwhile if you want to trade your timeshare week for marriott rewards points, you only get enough for couple days stay at a hotel since those values have never gone up despite the yearly devaluation.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Agree with what others have said.

By these metrics:
27% of the hotels are changing; of these 22% are decreasing by one category and 78% are increasing by one category

... it doesn't seem bad. 3/4 are unchanged, of course more go up than down, but none go up by more than 1 category. And in the middle of the chart, a cat 5 > cat 6 is a 20% increase, a much lower percent bump than a Starwood category increase.

But in the end, we don't evaluate this just by the metrics. We each look at how we personally have redeemed and will redeem. If your regular hotel goes up, that isn't offset by category drops at hotels in countries you'll never visit.

And the certificate issue is significant. Both the megabonus and the credit card certs are quickly devaluing. MR really needs to raise the categories on these, or at least let you buy up a category for 5K points.

I look at 4 out of 5 of the Cat 5'sin New Orleans going up, and really doubt I'll keep the Visa.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 2:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Courtyard Ocean City MD Category 9. Laughable. From Memorial Day-Labor Day very busy. Then offseason hits. Who is going to spend 45k points/night in March there? They should lower the category and reel in the number of award rooms during high season.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 2:15 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AAdvantage, United MP, Marriott Rewards
I'm surprised by the rather positive comments. I was expecting a devaluation like this but it doesn't mean I'm happy with this.

If it's true that only hotels with a significant raise in award redemptions get to move up one or more tiers it certainly means that people do a lot more award redemptions since last year. I still have a hard time believing that...
Old Mar 18, 2014, 2:27 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
It's the usual death by a 1,000 cuts effectively devaluing everyone's stash of points by 20-25% by unless your vacation goal is a FI in Buffalo alongside the NYS Thruway.

At least they haven't cut an arm or leg off cleanly like Hilton where I'll never stay there again on that principal.

But Marriott can't be far behind as they keeping giving away / minting / challenging elites. Something will have to give in 2015.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 2:31 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Not too bad, but very surprised to see that Renaissance Dusseldorf has moved up one category, place is so outdated that being cat.5 is justified.
Do agree that lots of the increase are on holiday type destinations.

Cheers!
Old Mar 18, 2014, 3:02 pm

Cosmopolitan Las Vegas moving up to a category 9. With the benefits they keep cutting, that's outrageous
Old Mar 18, 2014, 3:10 pm

The category drops are telling as well. Only two properties dropped from 6 to 5, neither in the US. Of the rest, very few are full-service properties in developed countries.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 3:16 pm

Drops are in places like BAKU, Egypt, Sharm El Shek
Old Mar 18, 2014, 3:31 pm

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Based on my redemption-profile I got "hit" pretty hard. For this year I have redeemed:

- Residence Inn SFO/Oyster Point: Up from Cat. 5 to Cat. 6
- Residence Inn Delray Beach: Up from Cat. 5 to Cat. 6
- Residence Inn Fresno: Remains at Cat. 3
- Marriott Sao Paulo Airport: Remains at Cat. 3

So 50% of the hotels I booked went up a category - luckily I have everything settled, so I still will get the rooms at the old price. However all in all this does not compare that favourably to SPG, where the majority of properties actually went down...

Greetings - Dirk
Old Mar 18, 2014, 3:46 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Devils is in the details my friends. For someone like me who banked 2MM points since my immediate situation rarely affords me to plan leisure travel in advance or spend 5 nights in a row, I'm always paying the highest rate of current redemption. So my banked points are probably worth close to 1/2 what they were years ago.

But what are you gonna do?
Old Mar 18, 2014, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
Courtyard Ocean City MD Category 9. Laughable. From Memorial Day-Labor Day very busy. Then offseason hits. Who is going to spend 45k points/night in March there? They should lower the category and reel in the number of award rooms during high season.
Assuming you're correct (and this does happen quite often) the hotel will drop back down next year as guests refuse to spend the increased points to stay there
Old Mar 18, 2014, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by nldogbert
Not too bad, but very surprised to see that Renaissance Dusseldorf has moved up one category, place is so outdated that being cat.5 is justified.
Do agree that lots of the increase are on holiday type destinations.

Cheers!
the conditions of the hotel nor the amenities have nothing to do (directly) with the hotel...the number of folks wishing to use points does
Old Mar 18, 2014, 4:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by socrates
Assuming you're correct (and this does happen quite often) the hotel will drop back down next year as guests refuse to spend the increased points to stay there
We shall see. The opposite has happened so far. Probably meaning I am wrong.

Opened 2-3 years ago as a Cat 7. Went to Cat 8 last year. Cat 9 this year.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.