Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott Rewards 2014 Hotel Category Changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2014, 12:07 pm
Company Representative - Marriott Concierge
Original Poster

On April 8, 2014, we will be implementing our annual update of which hotels are in which category. View the full list of hotel changes via our Insiders community
Old Mar 18, 2014, 12:41 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Thanks for the heads up.

From a quick look, it seem that there are about 4-5 times as many hotels moving up as are moving down. I did notice that there were some moving up more than 1 category as well, but I did not see any hotels moving down more than one category.

And no high Category hotel dropped, but a large number did rise.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
From the link:

How many hotels are affected?

73% of the properties remain unchanged
66% of the programs properties will remain in Categories 1-4

27% of the hotels are changing; of these 22% are decreasing by one category and 78% are increasing by one category

Is my existing redemption reservation impacted?

All redemption reservations booked on or before April 7, 2014 for stays beginning April 8, 2014, will be honored at the point price booked. If you have not ordered your certificate prior to April 8, 2014, call Guest Services to request the lower priced certificate before your stay.

How long can I book a redemption stay using the current hotel categories?

You may book redemption reservations up to 50 weeks in advance of your stay, even before having the required points in your account. For example, on April 1, 2014 you may book your redemption stay as far out as March 15, 2015.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 12:51 pm

Programs: AC SE, Marriott Platinum Lifetime, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Platinum,
I sure hope that the certificates also move up from Cat 1-4/5 to Cat 1-6.

All my go to Cat 5 properties are gone.

Every one.

Old Mar 18, 2014, 12:58 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Well as long as moving ups far exceed the moving downs, its a devaluation although I know others don't agree.

And I'm sure, without looking, properties I might be interested in or have stayed at in the past in NYC, SF, FLL, EYW, MCO probably have risen another 5000 per night for the 3rd straight year or so...
Old Mar 18, 2014, 12:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, MileagePlus Silver,
No Category 10 and doesn't seem all that bad to me although entirely selfishly I only checked properties I redeem points at. Interestingly I am currently in one of the properties that has moved down a category - although I spend so much time here I'd never redeem points to spend any more!
Old Mar 18, 2014, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by joshua362
Well as long as moving ups far exceed the moving downs, its a devaluation although I know others don't agree.
I would think most everyone here knew a "devaluation" was going to occur. So the question wasn't if it were going to happen.

The question has always been, how bad? Were we going to be dealing with a Hilton bad devalution or just a normal yearly one?
Old Mar 18, 2014, 1:10 pm

Programs: Several
Originally Posted by yul lite

Every one.

Same here. I'm sure I'll be able to eventually find a decent Cat 5, but this is really making me rethink hanging on to the credit card.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 1:11 pm

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by joshua362

And I'm sure, without looking, properties I might be interested in or have stayed at in the past in NYC, SF, FLL, EYW, MCO probably have risen another 5000 per night for the 3rd straight year or so...
I have looked and you are correct-some of mine seems to be rising almost yearly
Old Mar 18, 2014, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by UVU Wolverine
...but this is really making me rethink hanging on to the credit card.
And that is what would most likely affect a change with the cert category levels. If enough people drop the card or stop applying for it, Chase (not Marriott) might look at increasing the category levels of the certs.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Admirals Club, Marriott PLT Premier, Hertz President's Circle
Doesn't look too terrible and 5th night is still free, so I am not too upset. I usually just use the Cat 5 for work travel (bill what the nightly rate would have been anyway) and just call it an extra $xx in my pocket. That, plus the 5x Marriott points makes it well worth its annual fee (which I have gotten waived two years in a row anyway)

Yes, I still think their tiers are hugely over valued. In my mind, a cat 5 should be an FS average Marriott hotel in an average city. Now they are relegated domestically to airport hotels and CYs, etc.

To be honest, I have never used points to stay at a hotel (yes, I know -- terrible blah blah) but as long as the price of the night doesn't go up dramatically I am really indifferent). That and they don't take away concierge access for PLTs, upgrades, etc.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 1:33 pm

Programs: Several
Originally Posted by hhoope01
And that is what would most likely affect a change with the cert category levels. If enough people drop the card or stop applying for it, Chase (not Marriott) might look at increasing the category levels of the certs.
Very true. The Hyatt card is a smoking deal compared to the Marriott now; smaller annual fee and many better redemption options with the annual cert.

Granted, they each have their own pros and cons, but it's getting harder to justify the Cat 5 free night with the Marriott card. To me, the free night is almost becoming a wash rather than a value.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 1:43 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K, Marriott Platinum, Frontier, Delta, Hertz Gold, National Emerald Club
Pretty typical and expected devaluation. Nothing to earth-shattering or surprising after my quick read.

At least happy that there are no major changes.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by yul lite

Every one.

This right here. Will the Visa certs be going up to compensate for the point inflation?
Old Mar 18, 2014, 1:59 pm

Category 9s... they're not just for NYC, London and Paris anymore. Lots of high-end vacationy properties are now 9s.

And we have our first Cat 8 Courtyards!

But for me, the biggest break is between being able to use Megabonus certs and not, which is now between 5 and 6. And the 5-->6 increases total more than four whole pages.

Could be worse, could be better. In places that had multiple Cat 1-5 properties, you mostly still have options, just fewer of them. And maybe no full-service options.

Didn't we have until June last year at the previous point levels? Now we have less than a month.

Last edited by Frequent Freak; Mar 18, 2014 at 2:04 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.