Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott Praia Del Rey Obidos (Portugal)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2014, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Hi, I checked and didn't see this hotel on the list of ones that didn't have lounges access on weekends..maybe I missed it. Anyway, at checkin I was told that they would only offer me a discounted breakfast at 10 euros each for being Platinum.
Is this normal?

Ugh..just checked again and there it is. I guess I thought the points would still be offered.

Last edited by CherylD; Mar 14, 2014 at 2:00 pm
Old Mar 14, 2014, 5:09 pm
Community Director Emerita

I had no idea that Marriott had a hotel in Obidos, a charming village where we have stayed on prior visits in the pousada. Would you please post a review when you have completed your stay? I'm very interested in learning more about it.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Resort = no breakfast.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 11:26 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold

Never been there but I know they often have elite exclusive rates that include breakfast.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 11:01 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AAdvantage, United MP, Marriott Rewards
It's a nice hotel, we were there some years ago. The hotel is not within walking distance of Obidos or anything else except the beach.
It was quite cheap to rent a car if you want to visit Obidos. (rental cars could be arranged on-site in the lobby)
Prices for drinks were hefty, prices in the restaurant were very reasonable.
We had dinner once in Atlantico Grill and liked it very much.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 2:52 am
Community Director Emerita

This hotel worked well for an overnight stay as we headed from Porto toward Lisbon. The resort is about a 20 minute drive south of the lovely medieval walled city of Obidos. We arrived after dark, after driving past a couple miles of shuttered homes. The hotel is in a large development that includes another hotel, vacation homes, and a golf course. There is nothing nearby that we saw, no restaurants, no grocery stores, no attractions. The hotel itself lacks a convenience store. If you want snacks or beverages, stock up earlier in the day.

The hotel is very comfortable. We drove up to the entry and a bellman came out to assist. My husband self parked. It was immediately across the forecourt and is free. I am a platinum, and the Director of Operations came out to greet me. I was handed the usual Marriott amenity card. I chose the cheese and crackers, an assortment of six different cheeses and 2 kinds of crackers. Nice. I was here on an award booking and had been upgraded to an ocean front room. Be aware that the hotel is built in the shape of an E with the ends of the 3 crosshatches to the ocean. The room we had been given was between two of those crosshatches, so some distance back. I asked if a suite was possible. One was cheerfully found on the ground level. It was called a junior suite, but is a full suite with a door between the bedroom and living room. The bathroom has two doors and can be reached from either room. It was extremely comfortable. It's probable we got the suite because early January is dead to travel.

The morning view was stunning, of rolling surf along the coast. There wasn't an obvious approach to the beach from our room, though I think if we had walked a bit to the north we would have found it. Breakfast was served in the Atlantico Grill and was excellent. It was just 10 euros for platinums and golds. It was a buffet with hot and cold choices and choice of eggs. It had a very appetizing selection of Portuguese pastries and cookies.

This hotel was a great choice for our travel needs. It exceeded our expectations by a wide margin. Mind you, I was very happy about facing the ocean and having a suite.
River in Sight likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 9:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the trip report! Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 2:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, United Silver
Yeah, thanks for the report. I'm heading there this weekend.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 2:33 pm

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott TfL, Hertz 5*
Great stay there at the end of March

We stayed there for an extended weekend at the end of March, incredibly cheap rate, ca 80 Euros/night inc. breakfast. Service was excellent as was food and drink in the bar, good quality and very affordable (Beer 3 Euros/pint !).

Steps down the cliff to the beach had been washed away, I was told this happens most winters and they repair them for the Summer season.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 4:10 am

Programs: FB LT Plat, BA LTG, LH HON
Stayed there for three nights a couple of weeks ago. The first night (Friday) the place seemed to be very empty, but filled up with families and golfistas the other two nights. Chatting to the manager, they said that the location is virtually full from the end of June to the end of September.

The rate was excellent 79 euros per night including breakfast. The staff are excellent - very friendly and even tolerated my dubious Portuguese. I ate in the small restaurant next tot he bar and had a three course meal (good seafood & cooked well) with decent local wine for about 30 Euro.

As a plat, I got a voucher for a free cocktail on the first night - not sure if this is typical.

I have meetings in Oporto and Lisbon in October and will definitely be staying here again
Old Jun 17, 2015, 8:30 am

Thanks for the recent updates, wenzlydale & FatnLoud. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 10:41 am

If someone stays at this property & their rate does not include breakfast, can they report back on how it's handled for Gold/Plats? This is what I have in the exec lounge sticky, but it was based on a 2012 report. Thx!

* Obidos / Praia D'El Rey Marriott Golf & Beach Resort/ NO LOUNGE; Plat/Gold -- buffet breakfast was 50% discounted to 15 euros from 30; 09/12 update

Actually I just realized that sandiego1k posted that brekkie for Gold/Plats is 10Euros (if rate doesn't include brekkie), so have updated the sticky.

Cheers.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Jul 16, 2015 at 12:25 pm
Old Jul 20, 2015, 11:29 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, ITA Elite+, Cathay S, Singapore S, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I am staying here next week, wanted to email the hotel beforehand but am not able to find an email address anywhere.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 4:58 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, ITA Elite+, Cathay S, Singapore S, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Checking out today. Enjoyed the hotel very much, we were in one of the ground floor rooms, one level down from reception. looking towards the pool area. Room was very large and well designed. it has a nice little patio, from which you could easily stroll to the pool. or the hotel gardens/grounds. They told us at check in they could only give us a small upgrade to a partial sea view as the hotel was pretty full, and it was very full indeed, looking at the carpark. However it never seemed to busy anywhere on the hotel grounds.

The pool is very well laid out, with a very deep area and more shallow area and it was very big. It never felt to crowded, and even tough there were quite a few kids, it was never to noisy or chaotic. There is a nice poolside bar, which is a great place to have a beer or a cocktail. The cocktail of the day is 7,50 Euro, which is not too bad value. We had lunch here one day and it was not half bad.

All the staff we interacted with were very friendly and caring. Housekeeping was top notch, vacuuming and mopping the room each day, we got evening turndown service every day, restocking towels and amenities twice a day.

We had dinner at the hotel buffet one night, and it was a bit poor and overpriced. They only had seafood, and no other options. We did have a excellent wine tough. The next night we ate at a local restaurant about 5km from the hotel called TriBeCa where we had some excellent food and good value. I would highly recommend going here http://www.tribeca-restaurante.com/. The last night we had dinner at the Italian restaurant which is a bout a 1,5 mile walk along the beach towards one of the other hotels on this resort. Its a stunning walk and hight recommended. The food was great, but service very slow, however if you are a bit assertive ordering it was ok. The view from the restaurant was amazing!
Old Jul 24, 2016, 4:44 pm

Lovely stay in July

We were here a few days ago. Our $94 rate included a wonderful buffet breakfast. As a platinum, I received a full bottle of red wine and a generous cheese plate. A manager greeted us personally as we registered. The staff were welcoming. The staff in the gym was helpful to our adult child who rented a surfboard. The steps to the beach are a bit of a workout, so fair warning if you are physically challenged. The pool was a good size and refreshing. We were upgraded to an ocean view room that had a lanai big enough for 2 chairs and a small table. Parking was valet but free otherwise. It was a great stay that we hope to repeat!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.