Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Do Not Disturb - Hotel Policy to Enter Room

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2012, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Next time you put out the DND sign, slip a $1 under the door so they get a clue... Canadians can tape a Loon to the DND sign. Any bets it will gone even if there is nothing delivered? hehehe
Old Jul 17, 2012, 3:53 pm

Programs: UA, SPG, Hilton, Mrt., PC, Hertz
Very funny. I also would have lost it. Like having a sign on your door and they are vacumning and knocking on everyone elses doors before 8am! Don't they know I am sleeping?? I did come in very late one night and forgot to put the latch on the door and the maid did not knock - just barged in. Nice.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 3:53 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Annoying, but it hardly rises to the level of getting emotional.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 8:08 pm

Programs: AA exp(6mm), United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Happened to me at the Ritz st louis a few years ago. With my do not disturb sign out, they called to see why I didn't want the turndown service, twice. I got a free night from it.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 6:13 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Platinum
.. and here in the UK!

I have had the same thing. Maidstone Marriott: check in and ask that the arrival gift is sent up straight away so I could get some sleep having been up since 5am and it is now 3pm. Wait and wait and wait and then give up at 4.30 and put the DND on the door. Just drifting off to sleep and there is a knock at the door, then the phone rings and I can hear the waitress in the corridor as well as on the phone. She has an in house portable phone and is ringing to say she wants to deliver the arrival gift but I am not answering. Sheesh, just what can you say to these people. Mind this is the wonderful hotel that wouldn't accommodate me with a second chair to sit on in the room and when I see the housekeeping room opposite, lo and behold they have 4 spare chairs that the staff are using for lounging in and putting coats on. I think I give up with expecting anything approaching "service" at this hotel.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:56 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Another vote for "I would have (almost) lost it."

I'm reasonably easygoing, but I'm not a doormat.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
I have never understood why hotels don't just leave a message in your voicemail or slip a note under the door if they have something "urgent" when the DND sign is up. Seriously, they have to have annoyed enough people by now to have figured this one out.

Mike
Old Jul 18, 2012, 12:28 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
So guess what happened today - housekeeping knocked
on the door when I had the DND sign on. I told the person
to go away, which she did. Shortly thereafter I got a call
from someone or other. No pretense of politeness this time.
I got an hour extension from the normal late checkout,
even though I'm not going to use it. [This is not at a
Marriott property.]
Old Jul 18, 2012, 12:47 pm

Programs: BMI DC Gold, BA Gold, LH SEN, Priority Club Platinum, Nectar purple
Originally Posted by elmococker
Why not just tell them to leave it at the desk and you would just pick it up later?
Did you actually read the original post?

The fact is that they called him to tell him and woke him up, for a non important letter. They didn't tell him what it was, just said that they had something for him - for all he knew it could have been something important.

What if he had an early start in the morning and needed the sleep?

I would have almost lost it too.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by skyemema
I did come in very late one night and forgot to put the latch on the door and the maid did not knock - just barged in. Nice.
I hate when they do that. Happened to me this past weekend in New York at the Marquis. Room service knocked and opened the door right away, didn't wait for me to answer.
I did not have a DND sign up but I would still expect them to wait for me to answer the door.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:14 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by CJKatl
FWIW, I wish the front desk wouldn't call to make sure everything in the room is okay. First thing I do when I check in is wash up. Having to run for the phone for that call is ridiculous. We all know how to call the desk if there is an issue. There is no need for the call.
My reply (especially if it's an hour or so after check-in): "Everything was fine until you called. You woke me up from a sound sleep. May I have your home phone number so that I may call you when you're sleeping?"
Old Jul 19, 2012, 4:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, MR Silver, HH Diamond.
I was pleasantly surprised this past Sun-Tues at the Albany Courtyard near the University. I hung the DND sign on the door right after I checked in Sunday and left it there until I checked out Tuesday morning. No knocks, no calls - it was perfect!

The FDC even thanked me for being Plat and remember to offer the amenity! A good stay overall.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 9:22 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium

I'm currently staying at the Hamburg Germany Marriott - for 3 nights.

On my first full day at hotel, I put the Do Not Disturb sign on the door. It was on the door all day long. At 7:30 pm, while I'm in bed asleep, I hear someone knocking loudly and trying to enter the room. I got up and went to the door - to find a Housekeeper and the Manager on Duty.

The Manager on Duty stated it was "hotel policy" to enter the room when the Do Not Disturb sign has been on the door all day long.

I expressed to her that I was sound asleep, and that I've only been at the hotel for 24 hours.

I've never experienced this "hotel policy" before, wondering if anyone else has?
Old Dec 9, 2013, 9:24 pm

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium
I have never heard of that before -- what is the point of having the sign then?

How do they know the sign was up there all day long? Is there someone standing there 24 hours a day staring at your door?
Old Dec 9, 2013, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Hoteliers walk a fine line between DND and ensuring guest safety. It's likely a housekeeper saw the DND on the door in the morning, noted it, and then perhaps the hotel has a 12-hour policy to check on guest welfare.

Think about it. If you lock yourself in your hotel room for 12 hours...24 hours...48 hours...at what point does the innkeeper have a duty to ensure that you're, at the least, still alive? And if something bad were to happen to you - diabetic coma, slipped in the bathtub, stroke - wouldn't you want SOMEBODY to check up on you at some point?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.