Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott to Become Largest Hotel Company in Africa

Old May 22, 2014, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Points earned on room rate only at Protea hotels.
Print Wikipost

Old Nov 12, 2013, 4:13 pm

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
CEO Arne Sorenson blogs on Africa on Linkedin.

Arne Sorenson: Africa Connection

In the last decade, it also became clear why intellectually we wanted to join the hospitality industry in Africa. The region sports many of the world's fastest growing economies, with one of the youngest global populations and a rapidly expanding middle class. Its a huge bright spot for travel and tourism, both as a destination and a source of new global travelers.

Since that first visit to the continent, Ive been back many times, most recently to Johannesburg, Durban, Capetown and Bloemfontein, South Africa, where I stayed in Protea Hotels. Needless to say, I was impressed with the sophisticated style, comfort and service I experienced.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 2:02 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold

As happy as I am about these new choices, I'd hope they'd buy another European chain and have a better network here in Germany/France/Benelux. NH comes to mind, perfect for rebranding into Fairfield/Courtyard/AC...
Old Nov 13, 2013, 10:42 am

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
Originally Posted by Muerz
As happy as I am about these new choices, I'd hope they'd buy another European chain and have a better network here in Germany/France/Benelux. NH comes to mind, perfect for rebranding into Fairfield/Courtyard/AC...
I think they have a heck of a lot of options for France.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624
Adding AC already got Marriott properties in France. I would expect NH shareholders want a very hefty price otherwise Starwood or perhaps Hilton would have already stepped in. All IMHO.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 11:30 am
Community Director Emerita

Protea Hotel at Kruger Gate is a solid property.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 12:08 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Just In Time

My sister is getting married late next year and I hoped to use my Marriott pts as a wedding gift. Hopefully the transition will move swiftly and the hotels will have a fair redemption value.
Old Dec 25, 2013, 6:24 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
I've been (so far unsuccessfully) looking for a web page that shows a map to where the Protea hotels are located. Anyone know of such a page? Would help in planning future travel.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 5:55 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AAdvantage, United MP, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by GetawaysRus
I've been (so far unsuccessfully) looking for a web page that shows a map to where the Protea hotels are located. Anyone know of such a page? Would help in planning future travel.
http://www.proteahotels.com/Pages/Destinations.aspx
Old Dec 26, 2013, 6:00 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AAdvantage, United MP, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624
Have a look at this map. http://www.marriott.com/hotel-search/france.hotels/
It looks pretty empty for the major part of France. Even Orlons, Metz, Bordeaux have no Marriott. (not to speak of the Prigord and Provence region that attracts many tourists although that may not be the public that Marriott is aiming at.)
Old Jan 22, 2014, 8:02 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Marriott buying Protea Hospitality Holdings Bring on the Safaris!

http://www.proteahotels.com/Pages/default.aspx

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireSto...-186m-21620265

Have to check out the properties a bit more, but location looks pretty interesting.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...ghlight=africa
Old Jan 22, 2014, 4:00 pm

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
Deal is firm, now scheduled to close on April 1, 2014. Here's the press release from Marriott, and Bill's thoughts on his blog.

Press Release:
Under terms of the agreements Marriott will pay approximately 2.02 billion rand, or approximately US $186 million at current exchange rates, subject to normal closing adjustments. The purchase price represents approximately 10 times anticipated pro forma 2014 calendar year EBITDA (earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization) excluding transaction costs.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 6:06 pm

I love Marriott and I always use Protea in ZA! Perfect!
Old Jan 22, 2014, 9:21 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
So if the deal closes on April 1, 2014, is there any information on when one might be able to use Marriott points at Protea Hotels? I've not seen anything so far and I have no clue what the hotel categories might be.

Does anyone remember how quickly newly purchased hotel chains (for example, the AC Hotel chain in Europe) are integrated and available for stays using Marriott points or e-certificates?
Old Jan 29, 2014, 11:24 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Planning a Safari trip in Dec/Jan and have to layover @ JNB. The airport Protea looks fairly decent and the price good too at a third of the IC, might just make a booking now as I'm guessing prices will go up. Looks like they also have a hotel in the intl terminal which you can pay by the hour.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.