Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Khao Lak Resort & Spa, near Phuket Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 9, 2014, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: karenkay
* No Lounge.
* No shuttle to town

* Titaniums get 10% discount on food and beverage but not room service, and 20% off the spa, a la carte menu only. The spa is called Quan. The beach massages are cheaper but you pay for what you get! Especially during peak season, it's very hard to get a spot after arriving, so be prepared to reserve something prior to arrival.
15% discount on laundry

* The one thing that is (very) irritating are the sunbed baggers! You arrive on the beach at 0830 and all the beach sunbeds are covered in towels - but not a soul in sight! There are some small signs saying all unattended beds for 1 hour+ will have their towels removed - but this is not enforced.

* if you're looking for reasonable transport in and around khao lak, highly recommend 'cheaper than hotel taxi'.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2004, 3:43 am
Original Poster

Hey all,
Thanks for all the great info on here. I am a two year platinum MR member and have some questions for fellow travellers to Thailand.

For my honeymoon I will be travelling to Bangkok Marriott Resort and JW Phuket Resort (the latter for free using points). As I am paying at the Bangkok MResort, what are my chances of getting an upgraded? Does this property have a executive lounge like the JW Bangkok? Any recommened room type i should ask for?

Regarding the JW Phuket stay, what are my chances of being upgraded (I am going there during the peak 1st week of Jan 2005)?

Thanks in advance for all your help.
Old Nov 9, 2004, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Winterhammer,

Welcome to Flyertalk & Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

I would recommend using the Advanced Search function, located on the toolbar at the top of the page as you will find a lot of information about these hotels. One tip that you may want, is to call the hotel (or e-mail the GM - [email protected] - I know this because I'll be heading there in a few weeks & had to contact them about something) and let them know that you will be on your honeymoon & request nice accomodations. I've never been to the JW resort, but the BKK Riverside is a great hotel & has an awesome staff. If you try a search, you'll find a lot of information on this hotel.
Old Nov 9, 2004, 7:11 am

Programs: UA PM (by 2MM), DL GM (by 3.5MM), Marriott Lifetime Plat
I can't answer for the first hotel, the the JW Phuket really doesn't have many "upgraded" rooms, just two at the end of each row, and those are suites. I have not been upgraded duiring stays there. However, you might be moved from a garden view to a pool view or something like that. However, all the rooms are quite nice. But don't expect an upgrade. If you want a suite, try calling the hotel and ask how much additional per night would they charge you in addition to your free stay. That might be your best bet.

Billy
Old Nov 9, 2004, 7:59 am

Programs: MR Gold, LH FTL (*S), Hyatt Plat, HH Gold, Sixt Plat
Upgrading Marriott Resort and JW HKT

...well, I'd guess you have excellent chances for upgrades... however not necessarily to a suite (maybe, depending on avaibility), my personal tip would be probably to a junior suite (or at least a corner room) in Marriott Resort and a terrace room in JW Marriott. I'd even been upgraded to a terrace room in JW as a former base member in MR on a Priceline-stay and same to a river view room in Marriott Resort on a PL stay as well.
Old Nov 9, 2004, 9:09 pm

Programs: SK*G, Marriott Gold, ROP Silver
I have been upgraded at both Bangkok Marriott Resort and also JW HKT. I have silver status, not gold nor platinum. However, I have been travelling to these resorts many times, so I suppose it's a case of loyalty to hotel and not just loyalty to Marriott in general. At BMR, I have got a Junior suite and also Executive suite. At JW HKT, I too booked via PL a couple of times (those good old days) and each time I got a Terrace room, rather than a Garden room (although size is same in Terrace, Garden and Sea View) - the only diff is that you get a terrace on the ground floor (which I have never actually used because it's been too hot!). Anyhow, the rooms are fantastic and you will not be disappointed whatever room you get IMO. I think that if you have Plat status, they would probably try to upgrade you without you even asking, but maybe January is very busy - peak season - so it depends on availability. I am going to JW HKT in Dec on Marriott points, let's see what I get this time , but I am just happy being there, relaxing, enjoying life
Old Nov 10, 2004, 8:16 am

Programs: UA MM, Hilton-Dia
Originally Posted by winterhammer
Hey all,
Bangkok Marriott Resort ...Does this property have a executive lounge like the JW Bangkok?
Yes there is a lounge. It's on the lobby level, behind the piano.
Old Nov 17, 2004, 11:09 pm

Programs: UA/CO-1KPlat, MARRIOTT-LT PLAT
Thumbs down BKK Mariott Resort Jr Suites!

Originally Posted by tide
Yes there is a lounge. It's on the lobby level, behind the piano.
I have repeatedly refused this upgrade, since it has a strange uncomfortable layout with pooor TV angles to view from the chairs and from the bed!

The Jr Suites are the rooms are set at angle. Prefer the river view rooms!

Old Nov 18, 2004, 12:53 am

Programs: SK*G, Marriott Gold, ROP Silver
Originally Posted by classy
I have repeatedly refused this upgrade, since it has a strange uncomfortable layout with pooor TV angles to view from the chairs and from the bed!

The Jr Suites are the rooms are set at angle. Prefer the river view rooms!

Winterhammer will be on his honeymoon, so maybe this time round they won't be interested in watching too much tv but good point anyway about the Jr Suites - although I quite like them, and never spend too much time in front of CNN as Bangkok has far more exciting things to offer.....
Old Nov 28, 2004, 3:23 am
Original Poster

Good point

I don't plan on watching much if any TV at all Thanks for all your help.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 5:18 pm

Programs: Marriott PP
Review of JW Marriott Khao Lak Resort & Spa, outside Phuket Thailand

Hello All -

Please forgive me if I'm not posting correctly as I'm new to the site. My partner and I recently spent a few days at the JW Marriott Khao Lak Resort. It was AMAZING!

We give it 10 outta 10 stars!

This is a very special place to us and hopefully it will be to you as well. Remember, be kind to the staff, they work very hard to make sure you have an enjoyable stay and deserve nothing but kindness and respect from you as a guest. A smile, a wave and acknowledgement goes a long way here, so be a good citizen of earth and be kind.
gezza48 likes this.

Last edited by mitchh79; Oct 3, 2013 at 11:11 pm Reason: was told to move to another thread
Old Oct 3, 2013, 5:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
this prop has had a significant number of previous reviews, by myself and others..........
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...-thailand.html
to bad you did not consult this thread before staying at the JWKL otherwise you might have found info in the Jai rest which IMO is the best Thai rest I've eaten at in TH........

although you are new to FT, there's a search function in the upper right to find previous history on most, if not all, Marriott properties.......

Originally Posted by mitchh79
Please forgive me if I'm not posting correctly as I'm new to the site.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 8:38 am

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
Hotel reviews do not have to go into the general Phuket thread anymore...individual threads are acceptable.

I think there is already a JW KL thread however. This should go there
Old Oct 4, 2013, 8:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624
Hotel reviews do not have to go into the general Phuket thread anymore...individual threads are acceptable.

I think there is already a JW KL thread however. This should go there
Agree.

To the OP - Welcome to Flyertalk! Can you provide more info on why you consider this to be 10 out of 10? It helps others when trying to decide where to stay.

Cheers.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM | Marriott LTT | National Car EE
Review of JW Marriott Khao Lak Resort & Spa, outside Phuket Thailand

KL was the best experience for me and my then GF now wife of the three Phuket area Marriott properties. I need to plan another run out there!
Old Oct 4, 2013, 5:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Again, specifics on why it's the best would be appreciated by FTers.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.