Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott lifetime platinum... what can I get from other hotels?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2015, 5:13 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver

I recently achieved Marriott lifetime platinum - does anyone know if you can match Marriott lifetime status to another chain's lifetime status?
Old Nov 10, 2015, 5:18 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, United 1K,
Originally Posted by TOMFORD
I recently achieved Marriott lifetime platinum - does anyone know if you can match Marriott lifetime status to another chain's lifetime status?
Other threads say no. I'd be very surprised if another chain would. They would be offering a lot, for potentially very little gain, by rewarding past performance from a competitor.

If they give you their top status, they are obligated to give you all the perks that go with it, even if you don't do any of the other activities (e.g., frequent stays, significant revenue) that makes them want to invest in you.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 7:10 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Ah... Maybe I'll give SPG platinum challenge a go...
Old Nov 10, 2015, 10:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by DAS02135
Other threads say no. I'd be very surprised if another chain would. They would be offering a lot, for potentially very little gain, by rewarding past performance from a competitor.

If they give you their top status, they are obligated to give you all the perks that go with it, even if you don't do any of the other activities (e.g., frequent stays, significant revenue) that makes them want to invest in you.
Agree w/ the above.

Cheers.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 11:08 am

I don't know about other chains, but Hyatt would be a definite "no". I have been a LT Plat with MR since 2004, and a Diamond with Hyatt GP every year since 2010. Right now I am about 100,000 points shy of achieving LT Diamond at Hyatt, so I will call every now and then to see if they would make an exception to their policy, citing my both my GP and MR status and I get nicely worded rejections each time.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 12:19 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Not a hotel chain, but LT Plat will get you MSC Cruise's top elite level (Black). And cruise elite levels work a little differently than hotel's levels. As long as you cruise at least once every 3 years, you will keep their top level elite status.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Marriott is not the only program to have lifetime status, and I've never heard of any program with lifetime status matching it any other program's lifetime status.

Gosh, many hotel programs don't even have annual status matching any more, having replaced them with "challenges".
Old Nov 10, 2015, 1:14 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Marriott is not the only program to have lifetime status...
I know Hilton and SPG have it too... I'm working on my Hilton now.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 1:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
On a slightly tangent topic, I also earned Marriott LTP recently. I also exhausted my points on TPs during the recent promo. Its prime time to explore another chain with a status match. Work travel is mostly midatlantic. Fun travel Caribbean and worldwide.

What chain would you suggest? Thanks!
Old Nov 10, 2015, 3:30 pm

I am pretty sure Best Western will give you Diamond - http://www.bestwestern.com/rewards/o...atus-match.asp
Old Nov 10, 2015, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by CouponSurfer
I am pretty sure Best Western will give you Diamond - http://www.bestwestern.com/rewards/o...atus-match.asp
Annual status match, not lifetime status match. I don't think any program every has or ever will grant lifetime status solely through a match.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 6:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold (1st choice) BW Diamond (2nd)
Lower end hotel chains like Best western would probably match it. Im not sure if they even have a lifetime status.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jm1991
Lower end hotel chains like Best western would probably match it. Im not sure if they even have a lifetime status.
And be aware the Best Western top-level status means just about nothing (except some bonus points). Maybe you get a welcome water+snack, maybe you don't. That's why it's so easy to match!

No, BW doesn't normally have lifetime status (only through rare promotions), but some people who got matched to annual BW Diamond status reported it lasting a few years, since the BW systems seemed to forget to downgrade them after a year.

Choice has lifetime Gold which they give to anyone who has had 1 million lifetime points. No one in the Choice forum has heard of any higher lifetime level. And annual Gold at Choice is achievable by holding the no-AF credit card. And Gold is only the first level. So while perhaps better than a poke in the eye, it's not a lifetime status many people care about. (At Choice, the main benefit of status is a longer booking "window" for reward stays, which for non-status people can only be booked 30 days out for domestic and 60 days out for international.)

WyndhamRewards has no true annual elite status. (They've misused the term "Gold Status" for a points promo, rather than true status! )
Old Nov 11, 2015, 11:11 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat
Thanks for the tip! Off topic, and if you can answer, how do they compare to NCL?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.