Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Hotel wrecked my night's sleep and offers 1000 points as comp...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2013, 1:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC

Hi,

had a good laugh this morning: I am staying at a full-service Marriott currently just for the one night, so after a hard day of work and a short visit to their Exec-Lounge yesterday I went to my room around 9pm noticing on the way that somewhere around the lobby there was a party going on (not unusual for the season) with some very loud music being played.

When I make it to my room that still is a problem with me feeling like I sat inside a boom-box, so I call the front-desk who is kind of annoyed that someone (again) complains about that (and I am on the 8th floor - no idea how people on the first or second floor could find sleep), but finally after some exchange agrees to at least lower the bass. Turns out it gets a little less noisy about ten minutes later, so I try to go to bed, but once the other noises around me cease the music is still loud enough to wake me up again shortly after I fell asleep.

So called once more at about 10:15p to be told the party goes on until midnight and that there is little they can do about that...and that someone from Management would meet me this morning. So I sit it out and finally find some sleep a little after midnight.

Fast forward to this morning...6am straight I wake up due to some beeping noise - turns out the alarm clock went off at the time the previous guest set it. So my night is over a lot earlier than I planned to...and to add to that it turns out that noone from management will be in today. Talked to the hotel's Executive assistant, and she offered me a whopping 1000 points as compensation for the inconvenience.

Had a good laugh about that offer - but would want some feedback from here: Is it completely unreasonable to expect that providing a good night of sleep is the main delivery of a hotel, and if it fails to provide that for revenue-reasons that this night should not be payed for, or if compensated in points at the value of a free night for this hotel, so 30000 points (Cat. 6)? Or is that unreasonable? Thanks for your opinions on that!

Greetings - Dirk (currently feeling really cranky...)
Old Dec 20, 2013, 1:29 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
Not unreasonable at all....
And as to mgt can't do anything about the excessive noise until midnight that's total BS......if mgt can't then who controls the damn property, the idiots let loose ?????

Originally Posted by djohannw
Hi,

had a good laugh this morning: I am staying at a full-service Marriott currently just for the one night, so after a hard day of work and a short visit to their Exec-Lounge yesterday I went to my room around 9pm noticing on the way that somewhere around the lobby there was a party going on (not unusual for the season) with some very loud music being played.

When I make it to my room that still is a problem with me feeling like I sat inside a boom-box, so I call the front-desk who is kind of annoyed that someone (again) complains about that (and I am on the 8th floor - no idea how people on the first or second floor could find sleep), but finally after some exchange agrees to at least lower the bass. Turns out it gets a little less noisy about ten minutes later, so I try to go to bed, but once the other noises around me cease the music is still loud enough to wake me up again shortly after I fell asleep.

So called once more at about 10:15p to be told the party goes on until midnight and that there is little they can do about that...and that someone from Management would meet me this morning. So I sit it out and finally find some sleep a little after midnight.

Fast forward to this morning...6am straight I wake up due to some beeping noise - turns out the alarm clock went off at the time the previous guest set it. So my night is over a lot earlier than I planned to...and to add to that it turns out that noone from management will be in today. Talked to the hotel's Executive assistant, and she offered me a whopping 1000 points as compensation for the inconvenience.

Had a good laugh about that offer - but would want some feedback from here: Is it completely unreasonable to expect that providing a good night of sleep is the main delivery of a hotel, and if it fails to provide that for revenue-reasons that this night should not be payed for, or if compensated in points at the value of a free night for this hotel, so 30000 points (Cat. 6)? Or is that unreasonable? Thanks for your opinions on that!

Greetings - Dirk (currently feeling really cranky...)
Old Dec 20, 2013, 3:16 am

Programs: BA, Marriott, Hertz, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
That's 1000 points more than I got offered for a similar situation. I sleepily checked into the Ren Malmo on a Sunday night around 11pm. Was too tired to argue about being in a room overlooking the front but soon regretted it when I realised it was also directly above TGI Fridays and they were having a Sunday night party. Despite assurances from reception that the music 'had' to end by midnight due to an agreement between the hotel and the restaurant, the music kept going until 2am. Eventually I gave up and asked to be moved to another room.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 4:43 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
did not ask for compensation due to the problem caused as stated here ????

Originally Posted by nobbyclark
That's 1000 points more than I got offered for a similar situation. I sleepily checked into the Ren Malmo on a Sunday night around 11pm. Was too tired to argue about being in a room overlooking the front but soon regretted it when I realised it was also directly above TGI Fridays and they were having a Sunday night party. Despite assurances from reception that the music 'had' to end by midnight due to an agreement between the hotel and the restaurant, the music kept going until 2am. Eventually I gave up and asked to be moved to another room.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 7:02 am

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
Originally Posted by BKKLEE
Not unreasonable at all....
And as to mgt can't do anything about the excessive noise until midnight that's total BS......if mgt can't then who controls the damn property, the idiots let loose ?????
I mostly agree...this is not unreasonable. However, you did get some sleep...maybe be happy with half the point (15,000) but go for the 30,000.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 7:08 am

Programs: BA Blue, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
The Premier Inn budget chain here in the UK will just refund your entire night's stay if you didn't get good sleep. I stayed in one last year which had just been refurbed and the light fitting was a bit loose so made loads of noise when the person above moved around.

Sent a mail and whole stay refunded back to my card, no questions asked.

If they can do it I'd expect the same at Marriott!
Old Dec 20, 2013, 7:27 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Fast forward to this morning...6am straight I wake up due to some beeping noise - turns out the alarm clock went off at the time the previous guest set it.
no sympathy for this, while alarms should be turned off by prior guest or house keeping, in my opinion it is your fault for not checking to see that an alarm was on. If this situation hasn't happened to you yet, consider it lesson learned, you'll never have it happen again.
So called once more at about 10:15p to be told the party goes on until midnight...
Music until midnight on a weekend I can understand, but this happened last night on a weekday (business) night? If so, this is unacceptable and I'd go with bitburgr's suggestion
Originally Posted by bitburgr
I mostly agree...this is not unreasonable. However, you did get some sleep...maybe be happy with half the point (15,000) but go for the 30,000.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by ChrisH
The Premier Inn budget chain here in the UK will just refund your entire night's stay if you didn't get good sleep. I stayed in one last year which had just been refurbed and the light fitting was a bit loose so made loads of noise when the person above moved around.

Sent a mail and whole stay refunded back to my card, no questions asked.

If they can do it I'd expect the same at Marriott!
I love shopping/staying/eating/etc... at places that have this type of policy. I do the same at my company. It's so easy. I wish more places did this. It's why I buy my clothes at Nordstroms and not Macys!
Old Dec 20, 2013, 7:32 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Definitely agree on the clock issue. I learned that lesson years ago and always check the clock to make sure it isn't going to wake me up when I don't want it to.

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
Music until midnight on a weekend I can understand, but this happened last night on a weekday (business) night? If so, this is unacceptable and I'd go with bitburgr's suggestion
And I understand this and somewhat agree. But the OP in this situation was on the 8th floor. IMHO, the hotel shouldn't be allowing/condoning a party at any time that is causing noise problems 8 floors away.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 11:33 am

Programs: DL DM / 2MM - Marriott Ambassador
Hotel?
Old Dec 20, 2013, 12:15 pm
dfe
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K/MM; *A Gold Life; CX Gold; Marriott Platinum LT; SPG Plat; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by bitburgr
You mostly agree? I totally disagree. You pay big bucks (no matter if cash or points) for a full good quiet night of sleep and wake up refreshed in the morning. So you get a little bit of sleep and that is worth only 50% comp? That's like the hotel saying go out to the park across the street and get some sleep on a bench until our party is over at 2 AM. Nonsense.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 5:13 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I would have asked to be relocated to another property as soon as I heard the noise/party.

Being able to sleep is more valuable than points in my opinion.

But since that didn't happen, I would expect at least 10,000 points or a partial refund.
I'd send an email to the manager and cc MR.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT 2MM+; Marriott PLT
Stayed at a hotel on Dupont Circle a few years ago. A musical group featuring 15 trombones* played long past midnight. Front desk said there was nothing they could do. Have not returned.

*Think jazz version of Hawaii 5-0 theme playing continuously. They switched out players periodically so there was not one moment of silence over a period of several hours.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 8:42 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott LP, Hertz Gold
I wasn't looking for points and got 10k once for a spider in the bathroom once.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 9:34 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by ZZYZXROAD
I wasn't looking for points and got 10k once for a spider in the bathroom once.
Surely, you turned it down?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.