Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Essex House, New York City (Manhattan) [Master Thread]

Old Jul 19, 2021, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dgreen12
Email address (per post 312): [email protected]
Print Wikipost

JW Marriott Essex House, New York City (Manhattan) [Master Thread]

Old Oct 1, 2016, 11:16 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Anyone catch the exterior of the JW Essex used repeatedly in an episode of Modern Family 2 weeks ago ("promotional considerations...")? There were several room scenes as well but doubt they were actually shot inside.

I seem to always spot inconsistencies and inaccuracies in media, one scene had someone with an ice bucket in hand headed for an ice machine of which there were none as of last time I stayed there.

Seem to be a JW trait which I dislike having to call, wait and tip for a tiny bucket to be delivered.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 1:31 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

The Marina del Rey Marriott, always uncredited, has been used for several movies and many TV shows.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

actually many hotels have things filmed inside

for marriott new york, Blue Bloods filmed in a top suite at RC central park IIRC

modern family filmed at four seasons maui while guests were there

SkiAdcock, yes some have free alcohol, mostly very expensive luxury properties
Old Oct 2, 2016, 9:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
SkiAdcock, yes some have free alcohol, mostly very expensive luxury properties
Are you referring to Marriott brands? I know of very few that offer free alcohol in the lounge domestically, and we've already determined that the JW Essex House (aka, the topic of the thread) is not one of them.

Cheers.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For those heading to NYC & staying at the Essex House, this may be a fun thing to check out.

http://essexhouseexplorer.com/
Old Nov 26, 2016, 3:54 pm

Programs: United
A few questions for you experienced Essex House visitors. I'm probably going to book a 7 night stay at this hotel from March 29th to April 5. It's my families first time visiting new York and we want to have a great experience. Kids are 12 and 10. I'll likely have marriot gold status through Ritz Carlton visa which I believe gets me room upgrades and lounge access. So here are my questions

1) Lounge access is only for gold member and 1 guest (Obviously me / spouse), will they let me bring my kids in? If so how much extra would I have to pay to get them in?

2) Do I need to ask for a room upgrade or does status give it to you automatically? It will be a cash trip, no points.

3) What type of room should you request for a family of 4?

Thanks for your time guys!
Old Nov 26, 2016, 5:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by svirfnebli
A few questions for you experienced Essex House visitors. I'm probably going to book a 7 night stay at this hotel from March 29th to April 5. It's my families first time visiting new York and we want to have a great experience. Kids are 12 and 10. I'll likely have marriot gold status through Ritz Carlton visa which I believe gets me room upgrades and lounge access. So here are my questions

1) Lounge access is only for gold member and 1 guest (Obviously me / spouse), will they let me bring my kids in? If so how much extra would I have to pay to get them in?

2) Do I need to ask for a room upgrade or does status give it to you automatically? It will be a cash trip, no points.

3) What type of room should you request for a family of 4?

Thanks for your time guys!

I haven't stayed there with kids but generally there is no one watching when you enter the lounge. I wouldn't expect that there would be any issue with well-behaved kids. If they raise an issue, I'd deal with it then rather than at check-in.

In terms of a room upgrade, I'd ask for it at check in and try to get in early. You'll probably receive an email welcoming you and you might want to call in advance. But, I wouldn't expect much although they might offer you a choice between a smaller room with a Central Park view or a larger room in the back. Since you're staying there for seven nights, they need to have an upgrade available for seven nights that they will release without an expectation of a sell which is unlikely. I'm not sure I've ever been upgraded at any Marriott to anything other than a concierge floor for a seven day stay. It's much easier to get upgrades on a one or two day stay where they have a better handle on short term occupancy. Also, even on my last two day stay at the Essex House, I received a room with a wonderful alley view, notwithstanding that I am a Plat Premier, have stayed at the hotel a dozen times, and had my Elite Concierge call .... seems they had two weddings and a religious holiday celebration (not a great impression for a new girlfriend ... grumble!). This is my third time in a row with no upgrade from an ordinary room and its not high on my list for a fourth try since they basically blew off my status and concierge. Then again, most of the Marriott's in NYC aren't particularly strong on the upgrade side.

I expect they will be very busy in the March-April time frame.

It's a classy hotel right across from Central Park. I'd set expectations for the family based on a great location with a nice breakfast, and not so much on an exciting room. I'd also discuss with the spouse that you might have the option between a smaller room with a Central Park view vs a slightly larger room without a view.
Old Nov 26, 2016, 6:19 pm

Programs: United
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
I haven't stayed there with kids but generally there is no one watching when you enter the lounge. I wouldn't expect that there would be any issue with well-behaved kids. If they raise an issue, I'd deal with it then rather than at check-in.

In terms of a room upgrade, I'd ask for it at check in and try to get in early. You'll probably receive an email welcoming you and you might want to call in advance. But, I wouldn't expect much although they might offer you a choice between a smaller room with a Central Park view or a larger room in the back. Since you're staying there for seven nights, they need to have an upgrade available for seven nights that they will release without an expectation of a sell which is unlikely. I'm not sure I've ever been upgraded at any Marriott to anything other than a concierge floor for a seven day stay. It's much easier to get upgrades on a one or two day stay where they have a better handle on short term occupancy. Also, even on my last two day stay at the Essex House, I received a room with a wonderful alley view, notwithstanding that I am a Plat Premier, have stayed at the hotel a dozen times, and had my Elite Concierge call .... seems they had two weddings and a religious holiday celebration (not a great impression for a new girlfriend ... grumble!). This is my third time in a row with no upgrade from an ordinary room and its not high on my list for a fourth try since they basically blew off my status and concierge. Then again, most of the Marriott's in NYC aren't particularly strong on the upgrade side.

I expect they will be very busy in the March-April time frame.

It's a classy hotel right across from Central Park. I'd set expectations for the family based on a great location with a nice breakfast, and not so much on an exciting room. I'd also discuss with the spouse that you might have the option between a smaller room with a Central Park view vs a slightly larger room without a view.
Wow! What a great answer - Thanks for taking the time to write back in detail
Old Nov 26, 2016, 6:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Wow! What a great answer - Thanks for taking the time to write back in detail
You're welcome! Have a great time ... make sure you get some pictures of the kids in Central Park looking up at the Essex House sign on top of the hotel!
Old Nov 29, 2016, 6:50 pm

For what its worth, I am Plat. Premier. I stayed here this past March for my first trip to NYC. I booked standard Essex King room on points and at some point before my stay was pre-upgraded (checked reservation few days prior) to a Central park view king room.

I cant speak for the other posters upgrade experience (or lack there-of) but I got the sense that they stick to the marriott rule of upgrading the room up one level as outlined in the terms (if available of course). At check in, the agent even said "we have upgraded you to the next room level but if interested we have other options" and rattled off the costs associated with such. The speech sounded rehearsed and almost as if she states it several times per day.

Also, in regards to the lounge, there was a white podium as you walk in and it was staffed each morning. The woman running it was checking key cards and names and even gave one mother who brought her two adult daughters in with her each morning some sort of grief. i dont know what sort of resolution they came to though.

I am going to NYC again in two weeks with new girlfriend in tow. Have been going back and forth with myself about maybe trying the Marriott marquis or maybe even a starwood property but i think i will stick with the Essex house for this trip since I know it is decent. I was going to spend the points and go with a junior suite (since a one category upgrade of that would be pretty sweet), I realize we may not be in the room much and getting a smaller room with a central park view (versus larger room with no real view) plus saving 100k points to put towards going some place warm later on may be a better deal.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 7:55 pm

Finished up three nights here this past weekend making it my second stay here.

Was treated very well. For what its worth, I am Plat. Premier.

Booked standard king room on points several weeks out.

The night before the stay I was prebooked into a central park view room which is a one category upgrade and was satisfactory to me and about what I expected. When I got up the next morning it was changed to a Manhattan view suite. Woo-hoo. I checked periodically on my way to NYC and in the middle of the ride in it was changed again to a Manhattan view family suite (extra half bath and what not) so it just kept getting better and better. About a half hour from the hotel it was changed again the other way to just a standard family suite (no view worth mentioning). One door away from the JW suite..so close! lol Part of me wonders what I would have received if i got there just an hour earlier.

At any rate, the upgrade was appreciated and more than I could have expected. I dont know if it was because of Plat. premier or if i would have scored that room if i was just lowly plat.

Lounge and breakfast was great. For the month of December breakfast is extended until 11. Dinner offerings were meals in themselves. They know how to operate a lounge correctly. With that said, it seems quite a few elites / lounge users do not know how to use the lounge correctly. Specifically, trying to bring in more than the elite plus 1. They do stop and question (as they should) at least during the breakfast offerings. The podium at the front is staffed and has a computer. Busy mornings, they maintain a wait list for tables as they open up.

For what its worth, I know in a lot of past discussions here, its always been a question of what some of the rules are for lounge access. I received a winter guide from the hotel and in it, it lists lounge access rules. I assume these can also be extended to other marriott lounges.

•Only the Platinum or Gold Member gets access with one additional guest. If you have booked multiple rooms only your room gets access with one additional guest.
•The lounge is only for the member themselves, so if you are not traveling and have booked a reservation for a friend/family member under your name, they will not get access.
•Food cannot be taken out of the lounge.

At any rate, an amazing stay. I was treated very well.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 8:04 am

We stayed at the Essex House in June and I agree, the lounge is excellent. Husband is Plat, booked a suite on points.

A question about lounge access, how are children treated as it relates to lounge access?

If a husband is plat. and I am his guest, what about any minor children under the same booking?

We stay at Marriotts/JW/Ren at least 4x a year with our 11 yo son and were never questioned about bringing him in.

We are thinking about another NYC trip in the spring.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 1:41 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Lounge children

I callled ahead and was told children 12 and under can accompany the guest +1. In our experience staying there last week we four showed up every morning and there was never an issue.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 4:54 am
Suspended

"It was our anniversary and they delivered a small complimentary bottle of champagne and with chocolate covered strawberries about 30 minutes after we arrived. "

I had read information like this a dozen time, I am just curious, how the hotel would know that this stay is for anniversary or birthday, and they would deliver some complimentary cake or something. Do you need to mention this when you check in? Or specifically told the hotel that this stay is for special ? Would that be a little pretentious to expect for something from other people?
Old Dec 29, 2016, 5:40 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Vince Chan
"It was our anniversary and they delivered a small complimentary bottle of champagne and with chocolate covered strawberries about 30 minutes after we arrived. "

I had read information like this a dozen time, I am just curious, how the hotel would know that this stay is for anniversary or birthday, and they would deliver some complimentary cake or something. Do you need to mention this when you check in? Or specifically told the hotel that this stay is for special ? Would that be a little pretentious to expect for something from other people?
Some people have a note added to the reservation at time of booking or otherwise. Sometimes some people inform the front desk over the phone or in person before, at or after check-in. The person telling the hotel about a special occasion doesn't even need to be a hotel guest.

I've had hotels that noted from my ID that I was there during my birthday. I've also had others inform the hotel without me mentioning it to the hotel.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.