Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Essex House, New York City (Manhattan) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 19, 2021, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dgreen12
Email address (per post 312): [email protected]
Print Wikipost

JW Marriott Essex House, New York City (Manhattan) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2014, 6:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
For those who have stayed in suites with a Manhattan view vs Central Park view which is better?
Old Mar 5, 2014, 6:45 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by njcommodore
For those who have stayed in suites with a Manhattan view vs Central Park view which is better?
Generally speaking, the central park view is better. We did get a Manhattan view suite on a high floor that had a great view of Columbus circle and the southwest corner of central park. The rest of the times we had a manhattan suite, the view was fairly limited to nonexistent because of the close buildings nearby.
Having said that, I have stayed in a central park suite that theoretically had a nice view but the windows were sort of small and it wasn't very conducive to sitting and taking in the view.
The staff has been very accommodating in the past for my requests to change suites because of the view or room layout.
I do like the hotel and it has become my favorite Marriott in NYC.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 6:19 am

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
A heads up that the lounge is closed for renovations. Coupons are being given instead for an appetizer and soft drink in the evening and for continental breakfast in the morning.

Breakfast was a huge letdown...two boxes of cold cereal and three small pastry items. A far cry from what is normally in the lounge. There seemed to be lots of complaints that I could overhear from people using the coupons...certainly this isn't what anyone was expecting.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 10:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by bitburgr
A heads up that the lounge is closed for renovations. Coupons are being given instead for an appetizer and soft drink in the evening and for continental breakfast in the morning.

Breakfast was a huge letdown...two boxes of cold cereal and three small pastry items. A far cry from what is normally in the lounge. There seemed to be lots of complaints that I could overhear from people using the coupons...certainly this isn't what anyone was expecting.
I contacted someone re: the lounge renovation & received the following info:

"Brand new renovation to be opened on 4/18. Last lounge version was a temporary solution. New one will be MUCH better experience."

I'll update the exec lounge sticky to reflect the lounge is undergoing renovation until April 18th & that coupons are being provided instead.

Cheers.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 3:41 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
I am amazed as I was there just 2 weeks ago and the lounge looked modern, large and more than adequate to me! Maybe not for NYC standards....
Old Mar 16, 2014, 6:30 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, DL 1MM, Marriott Platinum Premier and Lifetime Platinum
Just spent 3 nights here in a Manhattan suite over the weekend. I had seen the unfortunate news on this thread about the lounge being closed upon arrival. They gave us coupons for continental for Friday morning .. Agree fully with previous poster that it was very basic and less than any nice lounge would have on a normal morning. Also to my chagrin, I pressed hard but ultimately failed to get coupons on any form of free breakfast on Sat or Sunday morning even though had the lounge been opened, we would have gotten a nice breakfast. Wrote a fairly strong email back to hotel management ..

Also for what's it worth found housekeeping to be subpar and even turn-down now is something that has to be requested.

Had hoped this was going to become my favorite Marriott hotel in Manhattan but will probably return to Hotel 57 in the future.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 8:07 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select

Very interesting.

I was only given a voucher for breakfast.

But I'm only gold. Maybe you need to be plat to get the appetizer/soft drink voucher as well.

No upgrade, no late check out allowed, no lounge: was not a good visit for demonstration of loyalty.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 3:37 pm
Suspended

One of the worst Marriotts ever. I wouldn't attempt to stay here for any reason.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 5:33 pm

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
Originally Posted by Allvest
One of the worst Marriotts ever. I wouldn't attempt to stay here for any reason.
Wow. I've only had a handful of stays but this place wouldn't even come close to the bottom (although my last stay was during the lounge renovation and there were a number of other issues that happened).

Care to elaborate?
Old Apr 27, 2014, 12:12 am
Suspended

Wow. I've only had a handful of stays but this place wouldn't even come close to the bottom (although my last stay was during the lounge renovation and there were a number of other issues that happened).

Care to elaborate?
Here is the story I posted on Tripadvisor

“I moved before staying the night”
2 of 5 starsReviewed 1 week ago NEW via mobile

I guess if you reserve a park view or suite this might be the place to be. Despite being one of Marriott's highest level elite members (invitation only) I was given a room that looked upon an endless grey wall. Basically a jailyard view. No piece of sky. No tree. No garden or city view. Simply a grey wall and mechanical shafts!

Yes ok, they were nearly sold out. But I booked my room months ahead and there is simply no excuse for this. I don't expect an upgrade to the presidential suite but I certainly expect more than a jail cell or else an advance note that would warn me to perhaps look for alternate accommodation. Out of my 2200 nights at Marriott in the last 15 years this was easily the biggest insult I have experienced. Yes I was offered a better view room but it was small queen size, reserved for someone's anniversary already and after seeing stains on the sofa I lost my desire to even talk about it. Essentially I was being walked without the compensation normally given. There was simply no better way to tell me that my business wasn't welcome at this property. Even for NYC this was unexpected.

I had the standard apologies of course and was thinking not to post a review. But really, there is no mention on the website "fully obstructed window" or some such thing. Just shows up as King Room: Platinums and PP be warned...especially on busy days.

Ps: the new residence inn on 54th has fantastic views.
Stayed April 2014
Old Apr 27, 2014, 12:36 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
While I understand your disappointment, if this concrete wall is view the worse that has happened to you at a Marriott stay, then you lead a charmed life.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 1:28 am
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
Essentially I was being walked without the compensation normally given.
Are you saying you were downgraded from what you booked or that you were not given the view/upgrade that you expected? Either way it is not a walk, though the former is a much more formidable case than the latter even for a "by invitation only" Platinum Premiere.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 7:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
H I was given a room that looked upon an endless grey wall. Basically a jailyard view. No piece of sky. No tree. No garden or city view. Simply a grey wall and mechanical shafts!

Yes ok, they were nearly sold out. But I booked my room months ahead and there is simply no excuse for this. I don't expect an upgrade to the presidential suite but I certainly expect more than a jail cell or else an advance note that would warn me to perhaps look for alternate accommodation.
You got that bent out of shape over a lack of a view? If you had booked a room guaranteeing a Central Park view I'd understand but if you didn't then while it's a disappointment it happens, especially in nearly sold out situations. I do agree they should have pre-assigned a better room to a PP, but I think that this is the worst ever ever in several years of staying at a Marriott is a bit of over the top. But to each their own.

BTW - it's not a walk situation. You had a room that presumably met your needs other than lack of a view.

Cheers.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 11:49 am
Suspended

Duplicate post.

Last edited by FlyerTalker683455; Apr 27, 2014 at 11:54 am
Old Apr 27, 2014, 11:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
You got that bent out of shape over a lack of a view? If you had booked a room guaranteeing a Central Park view I'd understand but if you didn't then while it's a disappointment it happens, especially in nearly sold out situations. I do agree they should have pre-assigned a better room to a PP, but I think that this is the worst ever ever in several years of staying at a Marriott is a bit of over the top. But to each their own.

BTW - it's not a walk situation. You had a room that presumably met your needs other than lack of a view.

Cheers.
Yes. For $300+ a night I don't book a jail cell. Do you ever look at their website? I see beautiful views and NOTHING stating that a standard room is a jail cell. So yea. It's THAT bad.

It's my whine. My tragedy and I stand by it. It is the worst ever. No doubt.

I wasn't walked. I walked myself. And I was offered a central
Park view room but along with the "I had this set aside for an anniversary weekend couple who are only gold"

Now how does a gold trump a PP for a. Upgrade? Go figure that one. I didn't want to take it away and besides, the room looked grimy.

You just don't do that to the most loyal clients. Period. End of story.

Anyway like I said. I had amazing views and super clean rooms at the Residence inn. For less money. No point trying Essex house again. Anyway it is rumored to be closing for a renovation next year. It really needs one, too!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.