Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The end of an era for Marriott

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2014, 9:33 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
Originally Posted by Armani
Does anyone else believe that the incremental revenue we provided to Marriott over the years due to our loyalty (and additional weekend stays because of BOGO's) was much greater than the cost of these benefits. With no incentives, appreciation, or superior products, why should anyone choose Marriotts over other hotels?
Noticed a recent enhancement from Carlson Hotels that made me think about this topic again.

I'll modify that to say why should anyone choose non-resort full-service Marriotts on the weekends over competitor hotels? The answer is they are usually totally non-competitive in their weekend rates. I'll guarantee you that if I want to I can get a similar quality hotel for about half of the Marriott FS rate about 90% of the time under this scenario (sometimes the very same FS Marriott through something like Priceline bidding). And yet the Marriott brass still thinks that removing the BOGO / EEOs was worth all the angst it caused.

Of all the devaluations (and yes there have been enhancements that I appreciate just on the devaluation theme at the moment) this is the one that seems the most senseless. Noticed that Club Carlson recently introduced a BOGO of their own:

http://www.clubcarlson.com/2for1

Wish Marriott would bring the BOGOs back.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 4:35 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by GrizShel
Noticed a recent enhancement from Carlson Hotels that made me think about this topic again.

I'll modify that to say why should anyone choose non-resort full-service Marriotts on the weekends over competitor hotels? The answer is they are usually totally non-competitive in their weekend rates. I'll guarantee you that if I want to I can get a similar quality hotel for about half of the Marriott FS rate about 90% of the time under this scenario (sometimes the very same FS Marriott through something like Priceline bidding). And yet the Marriott brass still thinks that removing the BOGO / EEOs was worth all the angst it caused.

Of all the devaluations (and yes there have been enhancements that I appreciate just on the devaluation theme at the moment) this is the one that seems the most senseless. Noticed that Club Carlson recently introduced a BOGO of their own:

http://www.clubcarlson.com/2for1

Wish Marriott would bring the BOGOs back.
I miss the BOGOs, too.

Most weekend travel is non-business and therefore elective - at least in my family, we can choose whether or not to spend a weekend in a hotel. The BOGOs sure made it an attractive option. But I guess Marriott is filling their hotels enough on weekends that they don't have to offer it.

Now you've made me sad by bringing up the good old days!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.