Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

How are you using your Cat 1-4/5 certs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 26, 2016, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Jaenks
Post great vacation hotels worth saving certificates for. Include the State/Country and category and reason.

Canada

Residence Inn Montreal Westmount Category 4
Located right outside the busy downtown but a quick walk or train ride away. Right near shopping center.

Malaysia:

JW Marriott Hotel Kuala Lumpur Category 4
Great value for a JW, in the heart of the city and excellent service

Phu Quoc, Vietnam:

JW Phu Quoc - Cat 5 - beautiful beachfront resort with rates from $350-$650 ++/night

Bangkok, Thailand:

Three of the full service Marriott properties are Cat 5. All three have central locations and reputation for good elite recognition:

Renaissance Ratchaprasong
Marriott Suk 57
Marriott Marquis

USA
Florida:

Courtyard Fort Lauderdale East Category 5
One of the closest hotels to the beach that is available for cert use and has a free shuttle to take you to the beach

Curacao, Netherlands Antilles:
Renaissance, DT Willemstad. Category 5.
On an ocean harbor, not a swimmable beach, but in the center of the action for nightlife, also for NYE, Mardi Gras, etc. festivities.

Bonaire, Netherlands Antilles:
Courtyard, Category 4!
Brand-new hotel. 5--10 minute walk inland from the ocean beach. It's the only major chain hotel on that island, so all other hotels are available only by paying real money.

Quito, Ecuador
JW Marriott, Category 5

Sao Paulo, Brazil
Renaissance Săo Paulo, Cat.5 Very good location,excellent quality of service,pre-confirmed suite upgrades,executive lounge F&B.
Print Wikipost

How are you using your Cat 1-4/5 certs?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2013, 3:41 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by nineworldseries
BTW I'm using my Cat 1-5 certs to actually stay in nice FS Marriott hotels. From the sounds of the complaining on here, one would think these are just entirely worthless scraps of e-paper. Yes, you can't use them in Manhattan, but other cities worth traveling to certainly exist.

I'll be using mine at the Renaissance Suites O'Hare, Marriott O'Hare, Renaissance Grand St. Louis, Marriott at the Renaissance Center Detroit, Cleveland Airport Marriott, etc.
Well, much of California, Florida, PHL, SEA, PDX, and DC are off limits if you want the FS properties for a category 5 certificate. Some places are good with category 5 for FS properties, but I don't know if I would put Detroit and Cleveland as highly desirable places to visit. I'm not saying that those hotels are not useful. It is just that Cleveland and Detroit do not rank high as must visit places for most people.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 8:31 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
I picked up two cat 1-5s via cheap one-night stays throughout Florida this summer and will use them next summer at the Athens Ledra. I have an expiring cc cat 1-5 so my family is going to take a 5-hour road trip next week to Phoenix for the Chargers-Cardinals preseason game. Hey, better than letting it expire (although with the way the Chargers have been playing tonight against the Bears...)
Old Aug 16, 2013, 6:51 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond DL Platinum UA 1K, DL Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by BKKLEE
perhaps YOU look at how long a poster has been member of FT...............
I could care less as I only read the post and respond (accordingly).............
you can ALWAYS put me on ignore if you don't like my style!!!!!!!!!!
Can't imagine anybody liking your style???
Old Aug 16, 2013, 8:15 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
THXs for the complement...........
I leave it for others who have a kiss a** style.........

Originally Posted by kapkap46
Can't imagine anybody liking your style???
Old Aug 18, 2013, 5:38 pm

Programs: Southwest, United, Marriott
Originally Posted by BKKLEE
perhaps YOU look at how long a poster has been member of FT...............
I could care less as I only read the post and respond (accordingly).............
you can ALWAYS put me on ignore if you don't like my style!!!!!!!!!!
So you in fact, could care less? I'm glad.

Old Aug 19, 2013, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Calipso
Using my certificate at the Courtyard in Danvers, MA in two weeks.
Sad isn't it, that a CY is about the only place in MA where you can use the cert
Old Aug 19, 2013, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VA1379
Well, much of California, Florida, PHL, SEA, PDX, and DC are off limits if you want the FS properties for a category 5 certificate. Some places are good with category 5 for FS properties, but I don't know if I would put Detroit and Cleveland as highly desirable places to visit. I'm not saying that those hotels are not useful. It is just that Cleveland and Detroit do not rank high as must visit places for most people.
You can also include the entire northeast seaboard region... NYC-PVD and up past BOS if you want to use it at a FS hotel. As far as I'm concerned the cert is devalued past its usefulness. I'm not going to waste staying in a CY or FFI that is 30 min+ from anything because thats the only thing around that is under cat 6.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 11:35 am

Programs: Marriott LT Gold, IHG Club, Hertz Gold, Aeroplan, Avios, SkyMiles, Thrifty, AMEX
Originally Posted by rylan
Sad isn't it, that a CY is about the only place in MA where you can use the cert
Actually, if it's a Cat. 1-5 cert, they could use it at the FS Marriott Peabody or, further up the road, Marriott Burlington. As well as the nearby SHS or RI. North of Boston is actually a pretty good spot for burning the certs.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 3:27 pm

Programs: Southwest, United, Marriott
Originally Posted by rylan
It's a 1-4 Cert (VIA Marriot Rewards Primier). Courtyard isn't bad, it's adequate. In Arizona, New Mexico or Georgia I could have stayed somewhere nicer. I need to use the certificate before it expires. I wasn't planning on going anywhere before the expiration.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 3:36 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Does anyone have a recent experience in converting a cat 1-4 cert into points?
I know it's been done in the past, I called and tried to do it to no avail.
Want to know if someone has recently done it so I can keep trying or forget about it.

Thanks.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 6:22 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Flying Blue Gold, BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
I'm using mine at the Courtyard Omaha downtown - not a FS, but given that I'm staying over Berkshire weekend and rates start at $399/night, I think I'm getting pretty decent cash value!
Old Aug 20, 2013, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Twickenham
Actually, if it's a Cat. 1-5 cert, they could use it at the FS Marriott Peabody or, further up the road, Marriott Burlington. As well as the nearby SHS or RI. North of Boston is actually a pretty good spot for burning the certs.
Good use for the 1-4 at the CY Danvers, but in terms of others I'd say that only the FS Peabody Marriott is worth the Cat 5 cert. Burlington Marriott can be had for low cash rates on weekends, and it is in an awkward location for touristy stuff compared to others unless you just want to go to the mall.

Oh and no you can't convert a cert into points.
Old Aug 24, 2013, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Used a Cat 4 at the Courtyard Denver Downtown on a Thursday night. Cash rate would have been > $175, and bidding for 3.5* on Priceline wouldn't have worked as the trip was one that had a reasonable probability of being cancelled.

Given that I paid about $130 for the two one-night stays near IAD which yielded the cert, I was pretty pleased.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 6:48 am

I used it at Residence Inn Concord. Wonderful hotel and staff and breakfast was outstanding. It was during a road trip and couldn't have served our purpose any better.

Last edited by COOLIO; Aug 26, 2013 at 4:49 am
Old Aug 25, 2013, 7:28 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
But wait- how are you people using these? I thought they were worthless!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.