Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Venice Resort & Spa (Venice, Italy) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 18, 2016, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Elite room upgrades are iffy; they try to sell upgrades.

Hotel website: http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/vcejw-jw-marriott-venice-resort-and-spa/
Print Wikipost

JW Marriott Venice Resort & Spa (Venice, Italy) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2015, 5:28 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
If you've got until May why not keep the ressie in case things improve? Plenty of time to cancel later.

Cheers.
I already cancelled it. Things may improve, and I hope they do, not so much for the business but for the people with such high expectations that get squashed after arrival.

It's not just the mediocre reviews. It's the inability to step out the front door on a whim and walk the neighborhood for a charming cafe. We're not keen on being in the heart of hustle and bustle. That's why the Boscolo Venezia appeals to me.

After canceling the JW I looked at other hotels. Considered the Stucky but came up with similar hesitation to the location and wait for hotel shuttle boat.

I'm going to look into some B & B's Rick Steve's and Karen Brown mention. 5 nights is sounding too long. Maybe 2 or 3.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gardengirl
I already cancelled it. Things may improve, and I hope they do, not so much for the business but for the people with such high expectations that get squashed after arrival.

It's not just the mediocre reviews. It's the inability to step out the front door on a whim and walk the neighborhood for a charming cafe. We're not keen on being in the heart of hustle and bustle. That's why the Boscolo Venezia appeals to me.

After canceling the JW I looked at other hotels. Considered the Stucky but came up with similar hesitation to the location and wait for hotel shuttle boat.

I'm going to look into some B & B's Rick Steve's and Karen Brown mention. 5 nights is sounding too long. Maybe 2 or 3.
No need to rely on the hotel's boat shuttle. The public ferry is less than 5 min walk from Stucky. You would use the public ferry a lot in Venice anyway. Get a 24 hrs, 36 hrs, 48 hrs pass, whatever suits your stay, and just use the water bus. Have you checked out the Stucky thread in the HHonors forum?

The location of Sucky is good if you dont need to be in the mist of mad crowds. The island is quiet and peaceful, offers super view of the Venice proper.

Personally if we return to Venice for a few days stay (versus just day trip from Padova), we would stay at either Lido or the island where Stucky is at, than the Venice itself which is way way too crowded these days.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 10:14 am

I just finished a 3 night stay on points, as a MR Platinum.

Preface: it was extremely hot during our stay; 97 degrees and extremely humid. Everybody was sweating once outside for 20 minutes or so.

GETTING AROUND: The shuttle service is awesome. It drops you right off at San Marco and runs often and late. Being at San Marco makes it very accessible via the ACTV and Alilaguna (public water transportation). See below for the schedule. The JW shuttle has wifi and waters on board.

We bought round trip Alilaguna airport tickets, which took us about an hour from the airport dock to San Marco + another 15 minutes on the shuttle to the hotel. It sucked mostly because of the heat. We were sweating in the boat ride. Had the weather not been so hot, it wouldn't have been an issue IMO. I'm a 23 year old traveling with my girlfriend, and while we did a 2 week Europe trip on points, we opted for the much cheaper Alilaguna trip as opposed to the €120 one way private water taxi. Now... If €240 is nothing to you, the private water taxi is a NO BRAINER. Faster, private, direct, and the dock at the hotel for private arrival is a cool experience.

We recommend buying a 2 or 3 day all you can ride ACTV pass. It allowed us to check out Murano and Burano as well as access all different areas of Venice. The schedule is loaded into google maps so it was very easy to use. Grab an ACTV map and that's all you need. The schedule on google maps + the route map = super clear. Not buying a multi-day pass makes it add up quickly.

ROOM: The rooms were awesome! We reserved a standard room at The Hotel [name of main building] on points. No upgrade given, however, I asked for one and was given a Junior Suite in the main building. The bathrooms reminded me of the Signature Room at the Ritz Carlton in Montréal (just got back from there). Very minimalistic rooms, but I loved them. The Junior suite had a couch area and a very wide balcony looking out to the gardens. Here are a couple pictures....

I would say, due to the heat, the air conditioning at the property is not up to US standards. That being said, I think it is up to European standards where they prefer a tad warmer room temperature. All we had to do to fix that was request a portable air conditioner and maintenance brought one up, plugged it in, and our room went easily to US standard AC temperatures. However, if it's not 97 degrees, I think it's not an issue. The building was cold, just not as cold as most would expect.

POOL: The rooftop pool was stunning. It has awesome views of the skyline. We didn't mess around with it during the morning/day because it's not huge and we anticipated it being crowded. Instead, we did all our sightseeing stuff during the day, and as sweaty/hot as we were, nothing sounded better than coming back to the hotel around 6 or 7 and hitting the pool. It wasn't busy then and we got to watch sunset. There is also a family pool, but it's sort of remote and nothing special. It's worth going to if the rooftop pool is crowded. But don't expect drinks/food at the family pool. You can at the rooftop one as there is a very cool bar right next to the pool.

The staff was a bit off their game. My room wasn't ready at noon when we got there (straight from a red eye) and it was the first time I've ever been told my room isn't ready as a platinum member. I think it was a combo of the front desk staff not being trained enough as well as housekeeping being understaffed. I leveraged more pressure for a room upgrade because of this though. The staff was fine though, especially the concierge. It's a very European staff meaning their culture on how and when they communicate is not like a JW Marriott in the USA. So don't expect that type of service. They bother you less while you are eating, which some would call slow service, but that's how Europeans are... It's a culture thing, not a slow/bad service thing like others have mentioned.

BREAKFAST: Probably the best surprise to the whole stay was the free breakfast. After reading stuff on here I noticed people not getting breakfast as a platinum. However, even though I was on a points reservation (all paid rates state breakfast is included online, redemptions don't state it), we were told at check in breakfast was included. There is a restaurant exclusively for breakfast with a very very large/gernerous buffet offering, including an omelette bar, sparkling wine + fresh squeezed OJ and more. I would have to say, it had a €30-€40 dollar value per person and if they charged for it, a endless buffet with bottomless mimosas, factoring in Venice pricing and the island premium, I would say they would likely charge €50-€60 per person. FREE. The servers were only there for clearing and you didn't get a bill afterwards... You just left. Which means you don't have to tip either. €0 breakfast. Incredible.

Back to room upgrades...because my room wasn't ready, I went to bat and pushed hard. I noticed the Loft Pool suite was available online still, for all of my dates, so I asked for that. I didn't get it, like I said, I went from a deluxe to the junior suite. The loft pool suite is a bi-level suite with your own private pool. I would die to get it. I think your best bet if you don't want to pay for it is to buy a junior suite and ask at or call ahead of time to try and get it (assuming you're a platinum member).

MEALS: Everything on the island is expensive. We overheard a couple on the boat [Americans who were used to JWs in the US] complain about a €25 hamburger and €10 Coke at the rooftop bar/restaurant. However, we did very well. We ate breakfast for €0 each morning, had a sandwich upon arrival while we waited for our room, and those were the only meals we ate there. Everything else we ate in Venice, which I would recommend doing. It's cheaper and more authentic. Riding the shuttle back and forth multiple times a day isn't as big of a pain as you may think, especially if you are somewhat active (aka not lazy). We did it mostly to save money, as I've already set the tone in this post that we're young. Dal Moro's has incredible pasta for €5 which we did one day for lunch. Nicer restaurants on the island (granted, away from San Marco) were cheaper than eating on the island. You're definitely getting hit with an island premium if you eat on the island. But it's probably worth it to most. As the Americans on that boat were complaining, they didn't quite understand that Venice was already expensive to begin with, and they were being hit with an island premium. The way they were complaining made it seem like they've never been to Europe before. Coke isn't cheap in Europe... It's even €4 at McDonalds...

Overall, I think this property has TREMENDOUS potential once the kinks are worked out. It's a huge property and I think they may be adding more stuff to it. We didn't get to the spa, but I'm sure it's awesome. The resort is an awesome retreat from the main island of Venice. Venice was wayyyyy too crowded for our liking and being able to retreat to a private island added a lot of value for us. Would I pay €300/night? No, I'm a 23 year old, but I would say it's a great use of points and if €300-€500/night is not that much for you, I would say it's worth it. Especially considering the breakfast, being able to retreat to an island (be careful to not undervalue this... Venice was PACKED with tourists) with efficient shuttle service, and modern rooms, I would say it's worth it.

I'll for sure be back because I need to cross off the Loft Pool suite from my bucket list.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 10:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the detailed trip report & the pics! Sounds like a great trip, if hot (this summer Europe seems to be going through a heat wave).

Cheers.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 5:36 pm

While I like the looks of this Marriott, I do not like the idea of the island / transportation...

We stayed here last summer. Quite hot but the AC worked well. We would definitely stay in Dorsoduro again - loved the neighborhood and location.

https://www.flipkey.com/venice-condo-rentals/p130986/

Last edited by LarkSFO; Jul 23, 2015 at 6:40 pm
Old Jul 23, 2015, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by LarkSFO
While I like the looks of this Marriott, I do not like the idea of the island / transportation...
Given how regularly the water shuttle runs I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Cheers.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 6:40 pm

Given how regularly the water shuttle runs I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Cheers.
It does look like a spectacular property, and if you do want to be a little 'away from the crowds', then it would be a top choice.

For us, the island is more of a 'mental block' vs. a real block.

Plus, at our apt we did not have a pool!
Old Aug 1, 2015, 11:53 pm

Thought this could be interesting: Secretescapes has a promotion running

- 2nghts minimum stay
- breakfast included
- welcome gift
- 1 bottle prosecco + fruits
- 10% off f&B

Deluxe Room
August € 275 / night
October €276 - 281 / night

Junior Suite
August €450 / night
October €580 - 625 / night

Book here
Old Aug 10, 2015, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA P, BA S, A3 *G, IHG Plat, Marriott Lt P, Hilton Gld, etc.
Festa del Redentore

Hello,,did anyone stay there during Festa del Redentore festival, and if so, were the fireworks visible from the hotel and if so, can it replace the "former top" experience of watching them from gondola?
Old Aug 10, 2015, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by ctrlf
Thought this could be interesting: Secretescapes has a promotion running

Book here
But do you get points/stay credit by booking through Secretescapes - ie, does it default over to the Marriott website?

Cheers.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 12:48 pm

But do you get points/stay credit by booking through Secretescapes - ie, does it default over to the Marriott website?

Cheers.
Booking is done directly on secretescapes, can't say anything about stay credits. sorry.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by ctrlf
Booking is done directly on secretescapes, can't say anything about stay credits. sorry.
If booking is done on a 3rd party site, points & stay credit won't apply. Elite recognition bennies (ie, free internet) would, but that's about it.

Cheers.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 9:08 am

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Just received the email below from them:

Dear Guest,

Warmest greetings from Venice and from our Isola delle Rose.

We wish to contact you to inform you that, in occasion of your future stay in September, some changes will be applied and the Hotel main building will not be available; therefore, the access to some public areas of the island will not be possible. This is related to the Sagra Rooftop Restaurant and bar, rooftop pool and Rose Lounge Bar.

We gladly confirm that the Garden Pool surrounded by our century-old park will be available, as well as the Giardino Bar and Dopolavoro Dining Room, with our two-star Michelin Chef Perbellini overseeing the kitchen.

In addition, a new charming dining area will be organized at our Chapel, with outside seating close to the olive grove, the ancient part of our island.

We apologize for any inconvenience and, as a way to excuse, we are pleased to offer you complimentary access to our GOCO Spa humid area, featuring indoor and outdoor vitality pool with spectacular view over Venice. The access, which usually costs 25 Euro per person for 3-hours, will be complimentary for hotel guests.

Please kindly note that advanced reservation for the access to GOCO Spa is kindly required, to allow us better organize your relaxing experience. Do not hesitate to contact [email protected]; our Spa Manager will be happy to assist you and secure your preference, according to availability.

Please kindly consider us at your complete disposal for any further information and assistance and kindly accept our sincerest regards,

Paul Downing

Acting General Manager
Old Aug 15, 2015, 9:24 am

Programs: UN 1K MM, Marriott-LT TitanElite, Hyatt Glob; HH-Gold
More bad news for JW in Venice

So, on top of the terrible reviews coming across trip advisor (one discussing that tables have left the dining facility over lunch and dinner because of over an hour wait time and still no food), I just got an email this week about my Sept reservation, telling me that I can't use the rooftop pool and bar which I was looking forward to

..."the Hotel main building will not be available; therefore, the access to some public areas of the island will not be possible. This is related to the Sagra Rooftop Restaurant and bar, rooftop pool and Rose Lounge Bar."

The letter does go onto say that to make up for this, we can have access to the GOGO spa's pool (which usually costs 25 Euro per person for 3 hours). BUT, here is another catch, you need to reserve access to the spa if you want to use the relaxation pool area.

This was going to be the highlight of our Italy trip and now, it's too late to get a room anywhere else (we were using points for the stay). We've reduced it from 5 nights to 2, but very disappointed in seeing all of the bad reviews and now, even access to the grounds is more limited. (Fear is that the main building will be closed due to an event so the hotel will be flooded with guests).
Old Aug 15, 2015, 10:11 am
Community Director Emerita

The Venice Film Festival runs Sept 2 - 12. Is your booking during that window? While the heart of the Festival is on Lido, there will be many meals and events for celebs and studio execs elsewhere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.