Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

best marriott on kauai with points?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

best marriott on kauai with points?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2015, 6:24 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by msp3
My preference is in that order, but before booking I still want to know is it possible to book Waiohai and Kalanipu'u at only 40,000/night w/o the extra $200?
For Marriott to offer a room at any of those properties for the base rate (40K/night in this case) would require those properties to have lock-off units where Marriott could offer (for award inventory) just the locked-off single room portion (usually leaving the living room and kitchen area with the other bedroom.)

It has been quite a while since I was last at the Waiohai, but I didn't think they were designed with "lock-off" units. And if so, might never be able to get a unit at that property for the base 40K/night. I'm not familiar with the Kalanipu'u property, but if it also doesn't have lock-off rooms, .then Marriott will never be able to offer base 40K/night rooms there either
Old Apr 13, 2015, 11:06 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by hhoope01
For Marriott to offer a room at any of those properties for the base rate (40K/night in this case) would require those properties to have lock-off units where Marriott could offer (for award inventory) just the locked-off single room portion (usually leaving the living room and kitchen area with the other bedroom.)

It has been quite a while since I was last at the Waiohai, but I didn't think they were designed with "lock-off" units. And if so, might never be able to get a unit at that property for the base 40K/night. I'm not familiar with the Kalanipu'u property, but if it also doesn't have lock-off rooms, .then Marriott will never be able to offer base 40K/night rooms there either
After calling around and talking to reservations some more and the properties themselves, found out Kalanipu'u has all-villas and no guestrooms of any sort, Waiohai has 7 guestrooms other then villas that are not avaliable for points, so ended up booking at Kauai Beach Club instead
Old Apr 13, 2015, 5:43 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Kalanipu'u (Kauai Lagoons) has spectacular 2 and 3 bedroom villas. It was originally built as a Ritz but the timing was wrong (last recession) and became a regular MVC property instead. I stayed there a few years ago on points and loved it. I had to use 2 upgrade certs (5K Points) per night on top of the normal points (might have been less than 40K then can't remember). It was well worth it. That said, I wouldn't pay a $200 cash upgrade per night. In general, I find the upgrade certs at 5K points/cert are frequently a good value and the cash upgrades are almost always not a good value.

I have also stayed in the hotel portion of the Kauai Beach Club complex (one of the towers). It is a very nice property with a great pool and a good beach. Duke's is a great restaurant onsite in the complex. Portofinio is also onsite in the complex; however, I found them to be snooty and overpriced and I recommend you avoid it.

No matter how you slice it, you can't go wrong with Kauai. Lots of great things to see and do. Enjoy your trip.

--Jon
Old Apr 23, 2015, 10:56 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Jon Maiman
Kalanipu'u (Kauai Lagoons) has spectacular 2 and 3 bedroom villas. It was originally built as a Ritz but the timing was wrong (last recession) and became a regular MVC property instead. I stayed there a few years ago on points and loved it. I had to use 2 upgrade certs (5K Points) per night on top of the normal points (might have been less than 40K then can't remember). It was well worth it. That said, I wouldn't pay a $200 cash upgrade per night. In general, I find the upgrade certs at 5K points/cert are frequently a good value and the cash upgrades are almost always not a good value.

I have also stayed in the hotel portion of the Kauai Beach Club complex (one of the towers). It is a very nice property with a great pool and a good beach. Duke's is a great restaurant onsite in the complex. Portofinio is also onsite in the complex; however, I found them to be snooty and overpriced and I recommend you avoid it.

No matter how you slice it, you can't go wrong with Kauai. Lots of great things to see and do. Enjoy your trip.

--Jon
Unfortunately had to cancel, Was trying for the Memorial Day weekend, and all the flights that work for me are completely full for cash or miles. Will have to try again another weekend.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 4:45 pm

Programs: UA PM (by 2MM), DL GM (by 3.5MM), Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by Jon Maiman

--Jon
I like Porofino's and even the hotel restaurant isn't bad. Certainly convenient. Duke's is always great, but sometimes the waits can be long.

There are plenty of other nice restaurants on the island, we like Gaylords.

Billy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.