Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

What happens to your Marriott Reward Points when you die?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2012, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, WN, WOH
Points after death

Will Marriott allow you to transfer a late family member's points to another's account? I know that many of the airlines allow this, even though it is technically against the terms and conditions of the program.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 11:26 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by FLYERIL
Will Marriott allow you to transfer a late family member's points to another's account? I know that many of the airlines allow this, even though it is technically against the terms and conditions of the program.
Yes they will. I helped a relative do this. IIRC we had to send in a written request and a copy of the death certificate. Not sure if it makes a difference if the deceased and recipient of the points are related.

Not that you asked but British Airways on the other hand does not. Fortunately I got an understand agent on the phone who pretended not to hear what I said and gave me some good advice.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 2:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
yes - Points are transferable to a legal spouse or domestic partner in the case of documented death of the Member.
https://www.marriott.com/rewards/terms/default.mi

Originally Posted by FLYERIL
Will Marriott allow you to transfer a late family member's points to another's account?
Old Aug 25, 2012, 4:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Yes, Marriott allows you to do it for legal spouse/domestic partner. If you want to do it for sister or brother or parent, best to get their id/password before death (if possible) & then book awards or transfer points as though you're them. Some FTers have done that w/ various programs.

Cheers.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 2:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
at your own risk...........

Accrued Points and Miles do not constitute property of the Member. Points accrued by a Rewards Program Member are for the Member's benefit only and may not be transferred to anyone except as provided below. Points are transferable to a legal spouse or domestic partner in the case of documented death of the Member. In addition, there is a limited exception for the transfer of Points into the Rewards Account of a legal spouse or domestic partner in order to qualify for a specific Reward. See “Earn Points – Transferring Points from One Account to Another.” Points are not transferable to another person for any other reason, including divorce or inheritance. Any Points which Marriott Rewards deems in its sole discretion to have been transferred in violation of Rewards Program Terms and Conditions may be confiscated.
In the case of fraud or abuse involving the Rewards Program, Point credit, Miles credit, Reward use, or a participating hotel, the Company and its travel partners have the right to take appropriate administrative and/or legal action, including but not limited to revocation/cancellation of any Reward and/or termination of Rewards Program Membership, and all Miles or Points and certificates (“Certificates”) earned through the Rewards Program may be forfeited and any relevant Membership Account(s) closed.

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
If you want to do it for sister or brother or parent, best to get their id/password before death (if possible) & then book awards or transfer points as though you're them.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 8:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
The OP asked if folk could transfer points in case of death. If it's a spouse/partner, Marriott provides a way. If it's another close family member such as siblings or parents, there's also a (possible; not guaranteed) way.

If the Marriott member is already deceased, it's probably not going to happen. If s/he is still alive, then the Marriott member can transfer up to 50K to another account if an award is being booked/e-cert attached. Technically the T&Cs say up to 50K transfers are only for spouse/legal partner, but we know that's not actually the case. If the Marriott member is still alive & willing to provide his/her id/password for access post-death, then the sibling or parent could book awards as though they're the Marriott member.

Note I didn't say to do it; that's up to each person to decide for him/herself, and discuss w/ the family member. FWIW - it's been mentioned on many FT hotel & airline forums over the years, so it's nothing new.

My guess (and it's only that) is if the person was 'caught', Marriott would just cancel the award and shut down the account. And while Marriott's T&Cs say points can't be transferred in divorce cases, some judges have ruled they can be. So as with all things, it varies.

Cheers.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Aug 27, 2012 at 8:30 am Reason: fixed a bunch of typos & some sentences for easier reading...
Old Feb 12, 2013, 2:25 pm

A friend of mine is an executor of an estate where the man died with lots of Marriott reward points. The deceased was single and my friend is trying to figure out what can be done with the Marriott reward points. I tried to search the Marriott website and I couldn't find anything that directly covers this. Does anybody know? Thanks.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 2:57 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Welcome to FT. Interesting first question, given your screen name....

I've posted this before, and it's information from over 20 years ago, but when my dad passed away, it only took one phone call and a death certificate to have his points transferred to my mom. Interestingly, they had a trip to Florida planned, with a reservation to use his points. Instead, we had his funeral that day. At the time, I had no status with Marriott, nor did my mom.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Google "Marriott points death" - 1st hit:

Rewards Terms & Conditions

Accrued Points and Miles do not constitute property of the Member. Points accrued by a Rewards Program Member are for the Member's benefit only and may not be transferred to anyone except as provided below. Points are transferable to a legal spouse or domestic partner in the case of documented death of the Member. In addition, there is a limited exception for the transfer of Points into the Rewards Account of a legal spouse or domestic partner in order to qualify for a specific Reward. See “Earn Points – Transferring Points from One Account to Another.” Points are not transferable to another person for any other reason, including divorce or inheritance.
Looks like they turn into dust.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by CPRich
Looks like they turn into dust.
Or, if you have the deceased's password, you simply call and redeem awards from his account for yourself. Hypothetically that is.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by UpgradeMe
Or, if you have the deceased's password, you simply call and redeem awards from his account for yourself. Hypothetically that is.
If you don't know password do you know his email? You might be able to sign on with email and ask for password forgotten
If his email still is working
Old Feb 12, 2013, 9:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
With the devaluation of points and increasing level of categories, imagine what category Heaven is. Gotta be at least a 15.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 9:31 pm

Programs: Airtran, Mileage Plus, AAdvantage, Sky miles, Marriott Rewards Gold, Priority Club
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
With the devaluation of points and increasing level of categories, imagine what category Heaven is. Gotta be at least a 15.

+1
Old Feb 13, 2013, 2:37 am

Programs: Thai silver(expired), Eva Gold(expired), SPG Gold (expired), MR gold, AA Exp 1MM, UA platinum.
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker

You still can redeem 5 nights and pay 4?
Old Feb 13, 2013, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by UpgradeMe
Then you might get to learn about section 12 of the T&Cs. Hypothetically.

(hint: it includes the word "fraud")

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.