Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Tampa Water Street [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2021, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold

I just wrapped up a weekend stay at the new JW Tampa Water Street and wanted to report back.

A few days before my stay, I got an email asking me to send in my arrival and departure times. When I replied, I got a very quick response, and to the property's credit, my room was ready at 8:30 AM, and I received no push back on a 4 PM late checkout. I was upgraded to a Superior Corner King with a Harbor View, and I did ask at check-in in-person if there were any suites (I knew there were Executive Suites for sale online). The associate typed a bunch but ended up coming back that there weren't any suites available. I chose to not push as I was happy to have a room ready so early, and I really didn't need a suite (although, I do think the suites have separate bathtubs, which would have been nice).

My Superior Corner King was on the 18th of 27 floors (floor 27 doesn't have rooms - I think it should be a rooftop bar at some point). The room faced the pool, nearby hockey arena, Garrison Channel, and Harbour Island - it was a nice view made better by the floor-to-ceiling windows. When you walked into the room, there was some extra space in the turn with a smaller third window and bench. The bathroom had a separate room for the toilet and a walk-in shower with great pressure and temperature. The bedroom had the aforementioned floor-to-ceiling windows, TV with Marriott's latest smart TV software (the one that says "Bon Voyage"), lounger at the foot of the bed, circular desk/dining table, leather chair, and an additional chair with an ottoman. The bed itself was nice - although, to be honest, there isn't any negative or overly positive to say about it. The covers were a bit thicker than other JWs I have stayed in (surprising for Tampa), which was nice, but the mattress itself was a tad firm for my liking. Despite the floor-to-ceiling windows and nearly constant sun, the AC did a good job keeping the room comfortable (although, it ran constantly to try to keep up). I was a big fan of the overall styling of the room - light woods and stylish furniture with a modern take on beachy, wicker styles.

The Executive Lounge has still never opened, so breakfast is served in the restaurant, Driftlight. You either get a continental breakfast (cold options only) or a $10 credit towards the menu. I'm not sure what it's like during the week, but Sunday morning offered a full buffet. I was encouraged to take my continental breakfast by partaking in the "cold" side of the buffet (the full buffet would have been $25, so $15 after the credit), but the continental breakfast could have been served a la carte, as well (not sure how that would have come). The "cold" side of the buffet was actually quite nice - I had a delicious yogurt parfait (bananas, kiwi, strawberries, granola, and yogurt), and the pastry selection was quite vast (I actually quite enjoyed the cinnamon rolls - great texture, flavor, and vanilla bean frosting). There were also cold cuts, cheeses, and other fruits. My waiter was very friendly and was very prompt in his serving of a glass of delicious orange juice, large pot of coffee, and keeping my water refilled. Overall, despite the continental nature of the breakfast, I left quite full and satisfied.

The pool was another highlight of the hotel - it was busy, but it was a great place to cool off from the heat and humidity in Tampa. Plus, most people stuck to the sides while they were eating and drinking, so it wasn't too hard to get some calm laps in.

Service overall was quite friendly. From the pool staff handing out towels to the aforementioned staff at Driftlight, everyone seemed to be trying to please. I did have to remind the check-in associate about breakfast by asking about what was included - once I did, they apologized for forgetting and went through the necessary explanation. I did appreciate the little details, like the front desk associates stepping to the side to greet you without the plastic barriers in the way. In addition, when I noticed a strong weed smell near the elevator lobby on the 18th floor, I sent a quick chat message, which was responded to promptly, and the smell was gone by the time I left my room 20ish minutes later. It really did seem like everyone was trying their best.

The property is also quite pretty - the "Skybox" meeting room hanging over the lobby from the 3rd floor is quite an impressive architectural detail. I also really enjoyed the Bright Ice ice cream shop across the street at the Marriott - all of the flavors I sampled (coffee toffee, espresso with Kahlua, and cookie cake & cream were quite delicious).

As I haven't stayed at the Marriott, I'm not sure if the JW is worth the price premium (although, it was only $19 more a night during my stay), but I did enjoy my stay and would return.
lamphs, svo242 and candgfan like this.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 7:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, American Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Adding another data point here. SNA request for a suite or spa superior room (essentially a junior suite) was denied. Both showed as available online & in app. However, requested upgrade at check-in & got an upgrade to the spa superior room. There's a entry hallway which separates the room from being directly off the main hallway, which is nice, you're also at the water end of the building so great views with floor to ceiling windows all around the corner. Very comfortable bed & bedding. The really special element of this room type is the very nice bathroom. Double vanities, separate shower & deep soaking tub & fantastic view over the pool & toward the hockey arena. Executive lounge is only open Sunday evening-Friday morning. Breakfast voucher value has been increased to $12.50 per person, doesn't fully cover much of anything on the menu but the food was high quality so that sort of made up for having an overage. Pool area pretty spacious for an urban property. Overall finishes/hard product was very nice, would recommend.
Old Dec 16, 2022, 7:52 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Some data points and a full tour of this awesome property: SNA was approved for the one-bedroom suite. Loved the room, and I really thought their club lounge, which was open, was fantastic. Really great food at breakfast and in the evening, though my only gripe was the honor bar was a little pricey in my opinion. Check out what the full property looks like as of December 1st below:

Old Dec 27, 2022, 9:03 am

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
Thanks for this; going to Tampa in a few weeks and the Westin offered a much better redemption but reading the reviews this seems like a much nicer stay. Trying with SNAs to see what they give me.
pbiflyer likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by TheTravelPlaybook
Some data points and a full tour of this awesome property: SNA was approved for the one-bedroom suite. Loved the room, and I really thought their club lounge, which was open, was fantastic. Really great food at breakfast and in the evening, though my only gripe was the honor bar was a little pricey in my opinion. Check out what the full property looks like as of December 1st below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Z7HxH9eK_U
I was there last winter and thought it was a great property. Food at the restaurant by the pool was excellent. I was upgraded to a corner spa room with the nicest bathroom I've ever had in a hotel room. The lounge was easily one of the best I've been to in some time.
Its a great spot, but I'm not 100% sure the price differential (if it's high) is worth it between this and the connected Marriott across the street. If pricing/points are close, I'd 100% stay here again
Old Dec 27, 2022, 9:01 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Million Miler, Marriott platinum, lifetime platinum
I"ve stayed approximately 5 times here - love it. Got a one bedroom suite every time with Suite Night Awards, confirmed 5 days out, and had 4pm check out everytime.
Food was excellent at pool, and lobby. Breakfast at Driftlight was excellent.

Great hotel - highly recommend!!
Old Dec 27, 2022, 9:02 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Million Miler, Marriott platinum, lifetime platinum
I"ve stayed approximately 5 times here - love it. Got a one bedroom suite every time with Suite Night Awards, confirmed 5 days out, and had 4pm check out everytime.
Food was excellent at pool, and lobby. Breakfast at Driftlight was excellent.

Great hotel - highly recommend!!
Old Dec 10, 2023, 10:24 am

Programs: Brand loyalty is for suckers
Stayed here one night as a platinum to burn an expiring free night certificate. Booked a standard 2 queen, upgraded to top floor (26) water view king room on arrival. Free champagne at check-in. Weekend breakfast buffet was totally comped as a platinum benefit and was delicious. Excellent service and status recognition.

This place continues to reinforce my view that JW properties are the best use of free night certificates -- sometimes more so than RC/Regis/Edition hotels.
ElevatorEnthusiast likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.