Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Dubai, UAE

Old Mar 5, 2018, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Dubai, UAE

Old Nov 3, 2007, 12:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Silver, Hertz 5*
The JW

Originally Posted by okz
Planning a trip in March to Dubai using reward points, wondering if anyone has any recommendations about Marriott locations you have enjoyed and why. Thanks.
I am leaving for Dubai for a week in the next couple of weeks. Based on reviews I read here, I think its worth spending 130K points for 7 nights. There is also a Renaissance and I think its closer to the city center but not as grand. The JW is supposed to have a great lounge too. I'll post a trip report after I get back. But I do recommend that u make a booking if you are getting it at the standard redemption level.
Old Nov 4, 2007, 1:45 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Platinum, 2MM since 1981, MAR Lifetime Plat, IHG Plat Amb. Global Entry
Definitely the JW. Last time I was there, Mr. Marriott Jr himself was there.

The Rennaisance is only a five minute walk away, but is not nearly as nice.
Old Nov 24, 2007, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
There seem to be few comments on the Renaissance...has anyone stayed there? What's the club lounge like?
Old Aug 19, 2008, 2:03 pm

Renaissance Dubai - Comments?

I have a rewards stay planned for 7 nights at the Renaissance Dubai later in the year. Couldn't get the JW at the standard redemption level so took the Ren instead.
Can someone who has been there let us know what to expect? Is there a Lounge for Plats or do we get breakfast comped? What about room upgrades? etc?
Old Aug 21, 2008, 9:31 am

I was thinking of booking this hotel as-well. Anyone have any comments?
Old Aug 21, 2008, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
There is a small lounge for Platinum guests. Breakfast is OK, nothing special, a couple of hot items and the usual Middle East olives/cheese/yogurt/bread spread if I recall correctly, with fresh juice.

I have been upgraded to a huge two-room suite on each of a few stays. The room is not that upscale, but comfortable enough. The restaurants are decent -- the Spice Market is probably the biggest buffet in Dubai if you're into that sort of thing. Kind of fun every once and awhile.

This hotel is decent. It's too bad that you couldn't get the JWM around the corner, which is far, far better and often a similar rate (I guess the same or close rewards category too).
Old Aug 22, 2008, 9:52 pm

Thanks....

.... for the reply. Yes I am kinda disappointed that I didnt get the JW around the corner. I was there last year around the same time and it was available this far out and it was totally well worth paying the extra 15K points (cat 5 versus cat 6 for 7 nights). I couldnt however bring myself to give up 260K points (at the double rate) instead of 115k.
Old Aug 23, 2008, 4:29 pm

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Originally Posted by crazyhorse
.... I couldnt however bring myself to give up 260K points (at the double rate) instead of 115k.
I agree. I wouldn't, either, no matter how many points I had.
Old Sep 11, 2008, 11:48 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Hotel Contact-email request

Hi,

Just stayed at this hotel twice, overall quite a good hotel with really friendly staff and very nice lounge.
For those planning for short future stay, the hotel is going through some renovations, the lounge was just recently completed and it is really nice.
Food offering in the lounge is really good and staff friendly. Overall, I would recommend this hotel, it might be a bit older compared to the Marriott down the road, but I think it is value for the money.

However, I would just like to express a small surprised I had on my last stay, I was more or less trapped into taking most probably an "unofficial" taxi to the airport. I requested for a taxi down at the concierge, and instead of the normal "Dubai Taxi", the guy loaded my bags into a "private" car. I confirmed with the security guard who was there if that was a taxi and he confirmed it. Since my bags were already loaded in the car, I too just stepped in. I noticed that there were no meters, or anything official about it being a taxi. I questioned the driver on how much it was to the airport. At first he did not answer and after a second time, he informed me it was 50 AED! I told him that it was not possible, and he answered that I was in the hotel official car. I don't think it was the case. I told him that I did not have that much of cash with me and he lowered it to 40 AED, which I replied that I have max. 30 AED with me and if he could not accept that, he can leave me at the side of the road. He just rode on and upon reaching the airport, he did accept the 30 AED I had left. (A normal taxi ride to the airport should cost no more than 30 AED, even with the airport taxi, it would cost at least 28 AED!).

If I am wrong here, I would like to mail someone at the hotel to report this as I think this is really a bad reflection of the hotel. I could not find any contact email from the official website.

Please feel free to PM me or mail me for a contact email.

Thanks and becareful to those planning especially when getting a cab to the airport. Make sure it is an official hotel taxi or public one.

Old Sep 11, 2008, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by nldogbert
Hi,

Just stayed at this hotel twice, overall quite a good hotel with really friendly staff and very nice lounge.
For those planning for short future stay, the hotel is going through some renovations, the lounge was just recently completed and it is really nice.
Food offering in the lounge is really good and staff friendly. Overall, I would recommend this hotel, it might be a bit older compared to the Marriott down the road, but I think it is value for the money.

However, I would just like to express a small surprised I had on my last stay, I was more or less trapped into taking most probably an "unofficial" taxi to the airport. I requested for a taxi down at the concierge, and instead of the normal "Dubai Taxi", the guy loaded my bags into a "private" car. I confirmed with the security guard who was there if that was a taxi and he confirmed it. Since my bags were already loaded in the car, I too just stepped in. I noticed that there were no meters, or anything official about it being a taxi. I questioned the driver on how much it was to the airport. At first he did not answer and after a second time, he informed me it was 50 AED! I told him that it was not possible, and he answered that I was in the hotel official car. I don't think it was the case. I told him that I did not have that much of cash with me and he lowered it to 40 AED, which I replied that I have max. 30 AED with me and if he could not accept that, he can leave me at the side of the road. He just rode on and upon reaching the airport, he did accept the 30 AED I had left. (A normal taxi ride to the airport should cost no more than 30 AED, even with the airport taxi, it would cost at least 28 AED!).

If I am wrong here, I would like to mail someone at the hotel to report this as I think this is really a bad reflection of the hotel. I could not find any contact email from the official website.

Please feel free to PM me or mail me for a contact email.

Thanks and becareful to those planning especially when getting a cab to the airport. Make sure it is an official hotel taxi or public one.

This is a good lesson whenever a hotel bellman arranges a "taxi" for you in any city.

You could try contacting Marriott corporate, although you handled it fine and anyone who is vigilant, as you were, can avoid being taken advantage of in this way.

P.S. Glad to hear about the renovations and the new lounge!
Old Sep 12, 2008, 12:42 pm

the taxi fare is actually around 18 AED....

from what I remember from last time. I know I had to pay 40 AED coming FROM the airport since all airport taxis start at that price. On the way back its just a normal metered cab ride and from the JWM around the corner it was definitely < 20.

In any case, you did handle the situation well. My guess is the doorman or bellboy or whotever gets a small cut from the private cabbie.
Old Oct 18, 2008, 6:56 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Thought I'd ressurect this post...

Just looking at visiting the JW Marriott hotel in the next year for a reward stay and notice that it only accepts 'anytime' stays (no luck with the flexible stay finder, which only gives anytime as an option). I'd probably prefer it over the Rennaisance judging on posts here.

Is this hotel a special one that has an exemption that means it doesn't have to offer standard award stays at all? Judging from the posts here it is worth the extra as its so special... have to judge if its worth using points over cash though

Anyone know anything more?
Old Oct 18, 2008, 8:10 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
I thought perhaps you weren't searching properly, but I went and checked myself and you are absolutely right. No standard awards for any night over the next 50 weeks!

This hotel, nor any other, is exempt from providing minimum amount of Standard Award availability. Now there are the following hotels that do not fully participate in Stay Anytime Rewards as noted in #13 of Marriott T&C found here:
- JW Marriott Capri Tiberio Palace Resort & Spa
- Rome Marriott Grand Hotel Flora
- Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa

I would bring this to the attention of Marriott Concierge as all hotels are required to make a certain amount of their inventory available for Standard Awards. Now some hotel's Standard Award availability goes quickly, but to not have even 1 night of Standard Award available for the next year is totally unacceptable no matter what excuse is made. Reservations may tell you that all Standard Awards have been booked but that is BS. Not that they are purposely lying, just that is their standard response. Anyone who is interested in booking a Standard Award at this hotel should press this issue for the benefit of all of us.

See this link for previous information from Marriott Concierge: Marriott Concierge - lack of inventory availability

Last edited by aaupgrade; Oct 19, 2008 at 2:01 am
Old Oct 18, 2008, 11:34 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Originally Posted by aaupgrade
See this link for previous information from Marriott Concierge: Marriott Concierge - lack of inventory availability

Thanks for the very useful link/discussion aaupgrade. I've sent a private message to the Concierge drawing attention to this thread, now its only fair to wait and see what they have to say.

As you mention - I can imagine some dates being unavailable, but, having nothing but anytime awards for a whole year is a little 'unfortunate'. Having said that, I checked out the room rates on the dates I was originally thinking of, and a standard room was around 300/night (including tax), so I can see why they might want to dissuade people being able to spend standard reward points!

(and if they do release standard awards I think I will try and pounce!)
Old Oct 18, 2008, 11:48 pm

Please let us know what you find....

I have a week's reward stay planned at the Renaissance and would love to switch to the JW instead. But when I was booking more than 6 months out, I didnt find the JW with std reward availability at all for the couple of months I was looking at. If it becomes available (not getting my hopes up) I'd love to know.

Originally Posted by littlevoices
Thanks for the very useful link/discussion aaupgrade. I've sent a private message to the Concierge drawing attention to this thread, now its only fair to wait and see what they have to say.

As you mention - I can imagine some dates being unavailable, but, having nothing but anytime awards for a whole year is a little 'unfortunate'. Having said that, I checked out the room rates on the dates I was originally thinking of, and a standard room was around 300/night (including tax), so I can see why they might want to dissuade people being able to spend standard reward points!

(and if they do release standard awards I think I will try and pounce!)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.