Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2001, 2:49 pm

It's not so hard to see why they needed to make changes.
Old May 2, 2001, 3:01 pm

MileKing....this has long been known by most of us that are heavy Marriott stayers...that was the absolute BEST award in the industry and if used correctly(360K miles and a 7-day cert and still points left over)...one could make out very well.
Old May 9, 2001, 1:07 pm

I wanted to re-open this topic becasue I posted here in April concerning the # of points that Marriott would credit you back if you returned both 10 day hotel certs that come as part of the 714 reward that is 425,000 points. THe rep i spoke to then said yoou get 106,250 points back for returning both 10 day certs. I checked again today and got a different rep with a different story. She said 212,500 points back for returning both 10 day certs. So I am going to do as suggested. ZTransfer 19000 points from AMEX Membership rewards into Marriott acct to reach the 425,000 level. Order the 425,000 point award. Get enough mileage for 4 RT's to greatest distance I can get credited. Return the 2 day hotel certs. Get my points back and then order a 713 reward and then turn the hotel portion of that back for 50,000 points creidt.
Old Jun 28, 2001, 6:07 am

Update:
The first portion of my 714/713 transaction is complete. Received 240K DL miles & hotel/car certs, along with an AT&T 100 Minute Phone Card.

Returned the 10 day Hotel certs & just got 212,500 credited back in my MR account. Will request 713 Award now for 120K more miles and will keep the 7 day hotel cert for a future vacation stay.
Old Jun 28, 2001, 10:58 am

That is great, but I do have a 'quick' question ---

If you received AA miles did they post as miles or bonus miles?
Old Jun 28, 2001, 9:26 pm

cat...see http://www.flex.com/~dmk/marriott/ for the Award Chart.

I'm fairly sure AA miles DO NOT post as status miles if that's what you're asking. If any airline did that they would have too many instant top-tier flyers (but it's sure fun to dream about). They should count towards MM status on AA.
Old Jun 29, 2001, 8:40 am

I'm such an idiot, someone straighten me out. If I fail to use the 713 award (200k points), only 50k goes back into my MR account correct? Do they still transfer 120k into airline of my choice? I'm willing to gamble 30k miles but not 150k.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by KathyP:
If you return the hotel portion of a 713 you get 50,000 points credited back, </font>
Old Jun 29, 2001, 8:55 am

The 120k FF miles go into your airline account within a week or so of requesting your award. End of story on FF miles. They are yours to do with as you wish and when you wish.

Separate from that, you get 50k MAR points back by returning the hotel certificate. No impact on your FF miles by returning the hotel certificate.

Old Jun 29, 2001, 12:00 pm

Excellent, thank you for the reply.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Dave M:
The 120k FF miles go into your airline account within a week or so of requesting your award. End of story on FF miles. They are yours to do with as you wish and when you wish.

Separate from that, you get 50k MAR points back by returning the hotel certificate. No impact on your FF miles by returning the hotel certificate.
</font>
Old Jul 1, 2001, 8:19 pm
DKM

I just redeemed the 714 award and had the AA miles (240,000)post as bonus miles. I paid $15 to have the award fed exed and the miles posted in 3 days. I returned the hotel portion at the same time and had that posted (212,500 points) in 3 days as well. As with the others, I'll now cash in the 713 for 120,000 more miles. Sweet! :-)
Old Jul 1, 2001, 10:05 pm

Programs: Inf Elite CO, lifetime AA Platinum
DKM,

I chose not to pay the expedite price (since we had another month+ anyway to cash in on the award). The coupons arrived within four days and the miles were there within three. They were also very quick on redepositing the hotel awards. We should thank Marriott for giving us some time to use the old awards and continuing to provide miles back, which is an unadvertised benefit. This must be costing the hotel a great deal of money to buy all of these miles.

ff

[This message has been edited by freakflyer (edited 07-01-2001).]
Old Jul 2, 2001, 8:36 am

THE AA Advantage miles were posted as bonus miles
Old Dec 14, 2001, 7:51 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1MM AA PLT 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, and...Smiles Diamante
air/hotel package -- are miles deposited directly in AAdvantage account?

I'm entertaining the idea of transferring enough Membership Rewards points over to give me the points needed for one of the 7 night air/hotel complete travel packages, as it seems (?) to be a good deal.

My primary motivation for doing this is to get the 120K miles dumped into my AAdvantage account to get me closer to 1MM status.

Here's the question -- are the miles deposited directly into my Advantage account by Marriott?

Thanks in advance.

[This message has been edited by snorkmaster (edited 12-14-2001).]
Old Dec 14, 2001, 8:23 pm

Programs: UA Premier, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Yes, the points are deposited directly. I have done this twice with AA and the miles posted within two weeks in both cases.

Make sure you tell MR that you are using the award for a stay in a city that would require 60,000 AA miles for the lowest level AA award ticket. If you use a city that only requires 40,000 miles for a ticket, that is all MR will transfer.
Old Dec 14, 2001, 8:37 pm
Original Member

Location: Chattanooga, TN, USA**US Airways Gold, Marriott Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by BillMorrow:
Make sure you tell MR that you are using the award for a stay in a city that would require 60,000 AA miles for the lowest level AA award ticket. If you use a city that only requires 40,000 miles for a ticket, that is all MR will transfer.</font>
They don't ask you what city you're staying in anymore--all that matters is how many miles (or kilometers, or flight credits) you want and what category your hotel is. You pay one point per mile, plus the points cost of the stay (minimum category 5--which would hurt me, since the best Marriott in the city I'd probably use it for is a 4).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.