Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2008, 3:30 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 1MM - Marriott Silver
Is it possible to upgrade the hotel portion of a Travel Package? (Marriott Rep)

I´m pretty sure that I have read in this forum that the hotel portion of a Travel Award can be upgraded from a cat 1-5 to a cat 6 at any time after it was issued by paying the difference in points between both of them. I called Marriott Rewards in the US and after some internal consulting, the operator said that yes, it is possible. However, my local Marriott office says that it can't be done. I need to issue a travel package right now just to get the FF miles so I would prefer to spend the least possible MR points in the hotel portion.

If any of the Marriott reps participating in this forum reads this, I would very much appreciate your official response. Thanks all!
Old Jul 30, 2008, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by frisbeeace
I´m pretty sure that I have read in this forum that the hotel portion of a Travel Award can be upgraded from a cat 1-5 to a cat 6 at any time after it was issued by paying the difference in points between both of them. I called Marriott Rewards in the US and after some internal consulting, the operator said that yes, it is possible. However, my local Marriott office says that it can't be done. I need to issue a travel package right now just to get the FF miles so I would prefer to spend the least possible MR points in the hotel portion.

If any of the Marriott reps participating in this forum reads this, I would very much appreciate your official response. Thanks all!
Yes, it absolutely is possible.

I bought a TP a couple of years ago with the hotel portion being Cat 5. I extended it a couple of times, and within the last month upgraded it to a Cat 7 for an upcoming stay in October.

A simple phone call to SLC took care of it all.

As an aside, I think I still have the email from Chris (who was the MarriottConcierge at the time), explicitly saying it could be done.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 7:36 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Here is one post by Marriott Concierge (Chris) stating that the "official" policy is to not allow changes to a TP award once it is ordered. But it also states that the "unofficial" policy is that some Marriott CSRs can and will change the category level of a TP award: Question for Chris on Travel Package award/Stay Anytime

Since Marriott recently changed the amount of points received from a returned TP hotel award, they may have also changed their policy on changing TP hotel categories as well.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 7:52 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by hhoope01
Here is one post by Marriott Concierge (Chris) stating that the "official" policy is to not allow changes to a TP award once it is ordered. But it also states that the "unofficial" policy is that some Marriott CSRs can and will change the category level of a TP award: Question for Chris on Travel Package award/Stay Anytime

Since Marriott recently changed the amount of points received from a returned TP hotel award, they may have also changed their policy on changing TP hotel categories as well.

I saw your post in another thread as I was interested in either upgrading or downgrading a Category 6 pkg award that I had. I contacted Marriott Rewards redemptions in San Antonio (I think) and the CSR that I spoke to confirmed that one can indeed do the above, as you had first reported.

I do believe this represents a change -- a welcome change, at that -- and I thank you for pointing this out in the other thread. ^
Old Jul 31, 2008, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just as an aside ...

A lot of folks ask questions here on FT, and, sure enough, somebody here has the straight scoop. Great.

But there are questions (like this one) that could be answered a whole lot quicker by just making a phone call.

I'm as guilty as anyone else, but the thought just struck me.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by BigLar
Just as an aside ...

A lot of folks ask questions here on FT, and, sure enough, somebody here has the straight scoop. Great.

But there are questions (like this one) that could be answered a whole lot quicker by just making a phone call.

I'm as guilty as anyone else, but the thought just struck me.
As I mentioned in my post, I did call Customer Service in the US and in my country and both answers are exactly the opposite. The US rep hesitated and had to consult while the local rep was firm and sure about hers. Yes, I can keep on making international calls to CS until I feel there is an unanimous response but I preferred to post the question here to have your comments and, hopefully, an official veredict in writing which I may need in the future to upgrade my hotel certificate.

By the way, if you have Chris' email handy I will very much appreciate if you could share it with me. Thanks.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 5:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
Chris is no longer working as part of the Marriott Concierge team on FT. He has a different assignment with Marriott. You should send a PM or email to Marriott Concierge.
Old Aug 1, 2008, 1:33 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by VA1379
Chris is no longer working as part of the Marriott Concierge team on FT.
I could be wrong, but I think frisbeeace wasn't asking for Chris' email address, but a copy of the email he sent BigLar.
Old Aug 1, 2008, 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by hhoope01
I could be wrong, but I think frisbeeace wasn't asking for Chris' email address, but a copy of the email he sent BigLar.
Yes, you´re right, thanks. But I also hoped that one of the new Marriott reps that sometimes show up here at the forum would respond as well.
Old Aug 2, 2008, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by frisbeeace
By the way, if you have Chris' email handy I will very much appreciate if you could share it with me. Thanks.
Looks like I misspoke -- I know I had the email, but since it was a couple of years ago it must have been deleted. The only copies I have left had to do with splitting up the award which is not possible.

Sorry about that. But I do know what you suggest is possible. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, that very approach (buy the cheapest hotel TP and upgrade if necessary) was suggested by the Marriott team.
Old Aug 3, 2008, 3:21 pm

Earlier this year I rang the UK office to do this and was told it was impossible. It was done in a matter of minute or two later by ringing the US office.
Old Sep 7, 2008, 3:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: BMI, VS, Marriott, SPG, HH*S, GoldPoints+
Travel Package Award - assistance request

I have enough for a travel package award - combination 7 night award, airline miles plus a car hire discount.

I can't recall how to reserve the 7 nigts accommodation.

I realise I need a standard stay award for my 7 nights - it's there. I can't just enter it directly online as an award package as the system assumes its just a standard redemption, as oposed to part of a travel package, and deducts ( 115,000 ) MPs.

Is this a situation where I have to phone it in?
Old Sep 7, 2008, 4:22 pm
Community Director Emerita
Original Poster

I handled mine by phone. I'd made a standard booking, so knew the nights were available. Customer Service converted that to a travel package booking.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 1:28 am
Suspended

Programs: BMI, VS, Marriott, SPG, HH*S, GoldPoints+
Travel package

Thanks for this.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 7:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat Premier/LT Plat; SPG Plat/LT Gold; Hilton Gold; Hyatt Plat
Vacation help - 7 day award

I would like to use a 7 day award however there is a 1 day break whether the room is double pts (65k) or $450/night.

Is there anyway to do 7 nights in 8 nights with the 7 night award?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.