Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Slickw
LINK TO CHART

Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2019)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

The codes for the new partial packages are:
New Cat 1-4: QP83
New Cat 5: QP91
New Cat 6: QP99
New Cat 7:

Originally Posted by Marriott Rewards Insider
Members who purchased a Category 6, Category 8 or Tier 1-3 certificate prior to 8/18 are able to request a one-time exchange for a Travel Package one category lower. This process will cancel your current Travel Package, reissue a Travel Package one category lower and result in a refund of 30,000 points to your account. To submit a request, follow these steps:
  • Select “Packages - Deals” from the “Topic” drop down menu
  • Submit your request
As a reminder, status.marriott.com will periodically have additional updates.
Source: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...es-update.html

The legacy certificates map to the new certificates as such:
Cat 1-5 => Cat 1-4
Cat 6 => Cat 1-4
Cat 7 => Cat 5
Cat 8 => Cat 5
Cat 9 => Cat 6
Tier 1-3 => Cat 6
Tier 4-5 => Cat 7
==================================================

If you are unsure where you will use your 7 night stay, when you request the package, just ask for a category 1-5 hotel. That way you are out of the least number of points. If later, you decide to book for a higher level category, then you can do so and pay the difference the travel package points. If you can't use your certificate within the year, then as close to the one year anniversary (without going over!) call to extend the certificate for one more year. That's as long as they will typically allow, one extension. There is an option to expedite the mileage delivery to within three business days (sometimes faster) for $15. There are reports that this fee may be waived for platinum members.

Effective April 1 2017 re: Southwest & the companion pass:

"Purchased points, points converted from hotel and car loyalty programs, and e-Rewards, e-Miles, Valued Opinions and Diners Club, points earned from Rapid Rewards program enrollment, tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and partner bonuses (excluding points bonuses earned on the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not count toward Companion Pass."
Can I book SPG properties with my Marriott Travel Package? As of 9/1/2018 apparently not. see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30155836-post6529.html
Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2016, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by trouble747
I'm trying to imagine where we might reasonably go and stay in one hotel for 7 nights...
I've honestly been thinking about adding recommendations to the Wiki, particularly as I'm struggling with the same thing myself again. I previously stayed at the Prince Sakura Tower Tokyo during Cherry Blossom season and I thought it was a great use that went beyond the typical "beach for seven days." The hotel itself has a ton of cherry trees and was absolutely gorgeous this time of year. Also conveniently located to the train station and you can easily grab trains to leave Tokyo for day trips.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 5:16 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I'm trying to imagine where we might reasonably go and stay in one hotel for 7 nights...
I take it you prefer to visit multiple locations while traveling, not staying in any one place for more than a few days. If so you will have to break with your habits to take advantage of this excellent offer. Fortunately there are lots of hotels in places worth spending a week at.

I suggest you look for a hotel that is both next to something nice and also a reasonable base of operations for visiting multiple things in the broader area. That's the approach I use. I've booked week-long stays at beach hotels that are also near cities, parks, and/or cultural attractions I'd like to visit. Understand that "near" may mean 2 hours away by car or transit. The world doesn't come on a silver platter.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 6:49 pm

Updated Data Point - I was still unsuccessful in my latest attempt, but i can confirm the package definitely still exists for Vacation Club owners

TBD if is now restricted to them in practice, and not just in theory
Old Dec 8, 2016, 9:29 pm

Programs: Marriott LTPP
What number to call to extend a travel package?
Old Dec 9, 2016, 4:34 am

Originally Posted by jr1202sr
Any ideas?

I wanted to get Cat 9 Package and get SWA miles. My hope was to get the companion pass which you have to earn in 2017 in order to get maximum use. My stay is going to end January 3rd and I was hoping to use the Free week. Any idea on how I could use the Cat 9 Vacation week and have the SWA miles hit in 2017?

My travel dates are Dec 27th through the 3rd of January. Will They allow me to submit the voucher by the end of the trip!??!
any help appreciated.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 4:46 am

Originally Posted by jr1202sr
any help appreciated.
Call MR. Explain your situation. If agent can't help ask for supervisor. Worst case they can't do it.

Doesn't hurt to ask. In my experience if something can be done, they will do it.

Good luck.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 8:54 am

Programs: Marriott LTPP
Thanks. The deed is done.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 9:44 am

Advice needed.

I'm just a bit short of the 270k needed for a cat 1-5 package + 120k AS miles.

I have about 296k UR and 118k MR.
Should u transfer my UR 1:1 to Marriott or MR to SPG to Marriott?

I think MR are valued less?
My primary redemption are primarily premium seats to Asia.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 9:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
MR = the original Amex home-grown program?

I *think* UR has a better theoretical value, as high as 1 Hyatt point which is around 2 cents for most people. But I don't know (Amex) MR well at all. I briefly had that in the 90's...haven't done anything with it since acquiring my SPG Amex some years ago.

So if both MR and UR are 1:1 to Marriott, I guess I'd use MR first...
Old Dec 9, 2016, 10:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
We did a 7-night one in Paris and another TP in Hawaii at a resort. Lots of options...think of it as a base for exploring nearby areas instead of being stuck in one place for 7 nights and more options become available.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by pinniped
MR = the original Amex home-grown program?

I *think* UR has a better theoretical value, as high as 1 Hyatt point which is around 2 cents for most people. But I don't know (Amex) MR well at all. I briefly had that in the 90's...haven't done anything with it since acquiring my SPG Amex some years ago.

So if both MR and UR are 1:1 to Marriott, I guess I'd use MR first...
Yes MR is the Amex home-gown program.

I figured as much as well, but MR does have some interesting transfer partners such as ANA.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 11:11 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by crazytravelguy
Yes MR is the Amex home-gown program.
The problem, especially on this board, is that MR usually means Marriott Rewards and not Membership Rewards. So it would be better to clarify "MR" as "Amex MR".
Old Dec 9, 2016, 8:14 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Marriott has the book four award nights and the fifth night free. Would this apply to a five night cert, get the sixth free ?
Old Dec 10, 2016, 4:20 am

1. By all available evidence, you will simply not be able to get the 5-night package unless you're a Vacations owner. No reports of success in the last few months.

2. No further free night on top of the package free nights.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by HMPS
Marriott has the book four award nights and the fifth night free. Would this apply to a five night cert, get the sixth free ?
If you do the math on the 7 night packages and count the miles at a 1:1 ratio with MR points, you will find that you are only paying for 6 nights when you get 7 on the certificate side. It is because the fifth night is free. Even with the travel package.

Here is an example of the Hotel + Air Package 1 category 8 where you get 120,000 miles.

Package Cost: 360,000 MR points
Subtract 120,000 Miles.
Cost of Hotel Portion: 240,000 points

Regular Category 8 Night Redemption per night: 40,000 points
Cost of 7 Nights: 280,000 minus 40,000=240,000 points

So you see, in the end, you are kind of getting the fifth night free. These same numbers work out across all packages with the exception of United. Though even with United, the numbers work out the same if you don't include the 10% bonus points.

This however doesn't apply to the Marriott Vacations Owner five night travel packages. Those packages are based on the pricing of the 7 night packages prior to Marriott devaluing the program in 2011. There is no free fifth night free in the five night package like you see in the seven night package. In face, in the case of the category 9 five night package, you are paying for all five nights and all the miles at a 1:1 ratio. Other tiers have a slight discount on the fifth night.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.