Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Loyalty Programs > Marriott and Ritz-Carlton | Rewards
Sign in using an external account

Old Sep 16, 12, 5:29 pm   #1

Programs: BA Gold. Hyatt, Marriott, Accor, etc.
Gold & CL

Should MR Gold always be given a room on the Concierge floor if there are rooms available - or is it normal to be left on a different floor and just have card access to the Concierge Lounge?

First time I can recall not being put on CL floor as a MR Gold. And the hotel appears to be empty (very quiet, not seen a single other non-staff person all day, very few cars in lot, no-one in bar, ...). Not complaining as the room I do have on another floor is fine. Just unusual enough to prompt the question.
manord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 12, 5:39 pm   #2

Programs: LH M&M, SK EB, UA MP, TK Miles & Smiles Elite, Marriott Gold, A-Club Plat, PC Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by manord View Post
Should MR Gold always be given a room on the Concierge floor if there are rooms available - or is it normal to be left on a different floor and just have card access to the Concierge Lounge?

First time I can recall not being put on CL floor as a MR Gold. And the hotel appears to be empty (very quiet, not seen a single other non-staff person all day, very few cars in lot, no-one in bar, ...). Not complaining as the room I do have on another floor is fine. Just unusual enough to prompt the question.
Not according to the T&C, as elites you get lounge access. CL floor is not a guarantee.

I have tried several times that I don't get CL floor as Gold. Once I asked and they reassign me a room on CL floor.
Old Sep 16, 12, 6:06 pm   #3
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA 1K, AF PE, BA Gold, HH Gold, MR Gold, some Amex
Quote:

As Nacho said, no CL floor guarantee w/ Marriott, just lounge access. Happens to me evyer once in a while.
cfischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 12, 6:14 pm   #4

Programs: US-CP, MR-PP
What I found out that I get CL access automatically (as one should) and as a Plat if CL level room (with my bed preference) is available I get it. However not guaranteed. Sometimes only 2Q or 2D rooms are available on CL (I usually have 1K preferred). They would tell me that upon checking (when I ask if there is an upgrade available) and I can make a decision what I would like CL or 1K room or something.

Usually a nice question at check-in helps resolve any issues with upgrade (perceived or real). Usually I find that it is just perceived (not that I have a way of knowing if they are sandbagging me or not
iztok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 12, 6:54 pm   #5

Programs: UA 1K 1.94MM, DL GM (by 3.5MM), Marriott Lifetime Plat., Marriott Plat. Premier
I rarely get a room on the Concierge floor. Don't know why.

Most hotels, there is little to no difference in rooms. Maybe robes or something like that. I'm more interested in a larger room anyway - and those upgrades happen frequently enough for me.

Billy
Delta3MM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 12, 7:06 pm   #6

Programs: BA Gold. Hyatt, Marriott, Accor, etc.
I'm not the DYKWIA type so the room I have is perfectly OK for me (no upgrade of any kind as far as I can tell) - and getting the elevator up/down 3 floors to get to the CL doesn't bother me.

I just don't recall not being put on the CL floor before when the hotel has been so obviously empty - i.e. its not an availability thing. No complaint, just odd in my experience to date.
manord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 12, 8:00 pm   #7

Programs: US-CP, MR-PP
How do you know it is not availability thing? Sometimes hotels would have reservation for the following day or something?

There might be some Platinums pre-booked to CL rooms for next days.
iztok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 12, 8:14 pm   #8

Programs: Marriott Plat Prem..;UA 1.2MM; UA 1k; Delta Plat.
I am Plat and seldom make the actual CL floor
boss315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 12, 9:31 am   #9

Programs: AirTran A+ Elite, Marriott Rewards Plat, Rapid Rewards A List, National Exec, USAir Div Mil
I'm also a Plat and only once have had a room on CL - usually a nearby floor with CL access.
DoctorK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 12, 9:48 am   #10
Original Member

Quote:
I'm not the DYKWIA type so the room I have is perfectly OK for me (no upgrade of any kind as far as I can tell) - and getting the elevator up/down 3 floors to get to the CL doesn't bother me.

I just don't recall not being put on the CL floor before when the hotel has been so obviously empty - i.e. its not an availability thing. No complaint, just odd in my experience to date.
Also, remember as a gold you are number 3 in line for upgrades.
rthib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 12, 10:46 am   #11
TalkBoard President, A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold/1.78MM, Marriott LifetimePlatinum
I'm # 2 for upgrades being Plat & don't always get the exec floor. As long as I have exec lounge access I don't actually care that much.

Also, some hotels have a LOT of Plats/Golds check in daily, so some may check in before another Gold/Plat & get the available exec level room.

Cheers.