FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   How much do they really pay for salmon (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/1382541-how-much-do-they-really-pay-salmon.html)

libuser Aug 30, 2012 6:49 am

How much do they really pay for salmon

Now I have been to many Marriott's and I have seen my fair share of salmon as part of the morning buffet. Now I have to wonder how much do they really pay for that stuff? In Costco a tiny fraction of the exact salmon they serve costs like $13+. I alone eat more than that and then some. That definitely does not justify what they pay for it.

I recently talked to a server about it and was told that they pay at about 30% discount over retail. I beg to differ. I am just wondering does anyone with inside information know exactly how much do they really pay? I am guessing 8-12% of the retail price.

I am in love with that stuff and would happily pay(over the weekend of course) for the buffet just to get a hold of it. :)

SkiAdcock Aug 30, 2012 7:18 am

Well for folk like you who eat a lot of it, there are folk like me who don't eat it at all. I'm sure it evens out in the end.

Cheers.

satman40 Aug 30, 2012 7:25 am

Sockeye and Silver sell for $8.99 at Costco now, season is over as for Kenai Kings never seen one a Costco.

Time for Moose burger, and a little bear meat..

Hallibut is out of sight at $17.95..the new white meat..Costco Style..

jerry305 Aug 30, 2012 7:27 am

8 to 12% ???? Why would any distributor sell product to one place for several times less than they sell product to someone else?

dayone Aug 30, 2012 7:56 am

Originally Posted by jerry305 (Post 19222083)
8 to 12% ???? Why would any distributor sell product to one place for several times less than they sell product to someone else?

Not "several times" but a volume discount from a distributor could reach 20% on some items.

DillMan Aug 30, 2012 7:56 am

I've almost universally found the salmon at Marriott buffet's to be really sub par. I also have issues with the display and refrigeration thereof so I don't quite trust it enough to eat it unless I'm just hands down feeling fishy.

dc333 Aug 30, 2012 8:29 am

Originally Posted by jerry305 (Post 19222083)

It's the norm. Lots of factors come in to play. Markups and total cost to the property vary greatly based on average drop size, negotiated volume discounts, GPO contracts, etc.

I haven't had the buffet salmon, but what properties are we talking about? Full service Marriotts? Any locations specifically? The brand used will also vary based on geographical location and local distributor, whether it's a master food distributor such as Sysco/US Foods, or a specialty foods distributor.

formeraa Aug 30, 2012 8:40 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock (Post 19222028)
Well for folk like you who eat a lot of it, there are folk like me who don't eat it at all. I'm sure it evens out in the end.

Cheers.

which is, of course, the point of a buffet...

As for the cost of salmon, Costco's price is a cost-based price (no profit built in -- Costco's profit comes from the membership fees). I would assume that Marriott gets it for approximately 10% less than Costco's price, but it depends on quality/grade/type of salmon (Costco's products tend to be higher end; Marriott may purchase lesser quality salmon).

gj83 Aug 30, 2012 8:47 am

what kind of salmon is this?
Back in July from one of the big 2 distributors based on GPO pricing but before any rebates or quick pay incentives:
Atlantic 40-4 oz filets went for $90
Scottish salmon was $7.70/lb
Norwegian smoked salmon was $11.61/lb

jerry305 Aug 30, 2012 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by dayone (Post 19222239)
Not "several times" but a volume discount from a distributor could reach 20% on some items.

Oh. I see now that OP meant 8-12% "off the regular price", not "8-12% of the regular price".

But, yup, they must get a deal somewhere.

BostonFlyer1624 Aug 30, 2012 2:35 pm

Marriott salmon across the board is average. I've never had an issue, nor have I felt a need to get more.

My issue is with the powder eggs they have in the concierge lounge for breakfast at some properties...man those suck.

billycwhatup Aug 30, 2012 7:44 pm

Am I hallucinating or actually reading through a thread on Marriott buffet salmon costs? :confused: I am more in love with FT today than I was yesterday.

will2288 Aug 30, 2012 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by jerry305 (Post 19224451)
Oh. I see now that OP meant 8-12% "off the regular price", not "8-12% of the regular price".

But, yup, they must get a deal somewhere.

Well if we read the OP that way, then it makes some sense.

I believe the average super market mark-up is arond 25%, FWIW.

libuser Aug 31, 2012 9:17 am

for those saying that its average can you tell me where I can get better grade/quality salmon?

Because the one that I have tried in IAD Marriott a few ago was just awesome...

slowly Aug 31, 2012 4:49 pm

Sure: https://www.caviarhouse-prunier.com/...-nikolaj-no--1