Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Ritz-Carlton Kapalua, Maui [Master Thread]

Ritz-Carlton Kapalua, Maui [Master Thread]

Old Aug 23, 2004, 10:28 pm
dcr

Programs: UA 2P, Hyatt Gold
Please see my comments posted under the "Ritz Kapalua, Maui. Comments?" thread also.
Old Aug 24, 2004, 7:56 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum Million Miler, Lifetime Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by dcr
Now for the caveats: I had booked a "full ocean view" room for the "big event". However, when we arrived around 7:30 p.m., we were taken to a room apparently facing the pool/gardens. Because it was dark, we could not tell exactly what the view was. However, the next morning, we found that ALL the regular rooms face this way. The hotel is set up with wings running perpendicular to the ocean. So, the only rooms with an actual straight-on ocean view are the suites at the end of the halls.
dcr,

I have read some really mixed reviews for this hotel on tripadvisor.com. I booked a deluxe ocean view room for this coming weekend. I am concerned that I have paid extra for this view and may end up with a pool/garden view. What is a garden view ? How can this be ? Are you sure that you didn't book a partial ocean view ? I have the chance to book a suite for an additional $100 per night. Do you think it is worth it ?
Old Aug 24, 2004, 8:45 am

Programs: Aeroplan 75, Marriott Platinum
fingers crossed

I'm going to keep my fingers crossed. Staying in a garden view room the first night when we arrive late and then doing the club level for 3 nights after that. Hopefully it'll be a nice stay.
Old Aug 25, 2004, 12:32 pm
dcr

Programs: UA 2P, Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by 1K-DFW
dcr,

I have read some really mixed reviews for this hotel on tripadvisor.com. I booked a deluxe ocean view room for this coming weekend. I am concerned that I have paid extra for this view and may end up with a pool/garden view. What is a garden view ? How can this be ? Are you sure that you didn't book a partial ocean view ? I have the chance to book a suite for an additional $100 per night. Do you think it is worth it ?
I'm pretty sure that's what I booked also - "deluxe ocen view", and what that means is that if you stand at the edge of your small lanai and look way to the side, you can see the ocean. All of the rooms other than suites face each other and the pool, not the ocean. I would grab that suite in a heartbeat!
Old Aug 25, 2004, 7:49 pm

property? golf?

what's the property like? anyone know what golf costs at that place?
Old Aug 25, 2004, 8:39 pm

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
Ritz Beach Comments

Could anyone please comment on the beach in front of the hotel?

Are there chaise lounges provided by the hotel directly on the beach?

How far is it from the pool to the beach?

Is it a long walk from the rooms to the pool?

Mahalo and aloha...
Old Aug 26, 2004, 9:09 am

Programs: CO AA
Just got back. As someone pointed out, for the most part the hotel faces perpendicular to the ocean. Almot everyone has a "ocean view" as both sides of the hotel wing get views of the ocean.

I would suggest you call the hotel directly. Ask really nice and see if they will fax you a map of the property - the one that directs you to your room. The ocean is shown but I don't remember room numbers. Then ask them if they can tell/show which are the ocean view deluxe.

Ask nice or shoot, tell them you want to book 20 rooms for a wedding and you want to see where the wedding pasrty will be.
Old Aug 26, 2004, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Mrs. dchristiva and I went in late Apr./early May. Were upgraded to an oceanfront suite, which, as another poster correctly points out, was located at the end of one of the wings. All other rooms face perpendicular to the ocean, though the ones that face the inside (towards the pool), generally allow a partial view of the ocean. Rooms that are located closer to the center of the hotel are "garden view" as they generally only offer a partial view of the pool. If you're farther out on the "arms" of the building, then you have a view of the pool. The closer you get to the ends of the arms, the more likely you are to see the ocean. Rooms that face away from the pool either look out on one of the Bay or Village (I forget which) course holes (a long par 3), or they view the mountain side (up towards the Plantation course - well off in the distance). Some of these rooms also offer a long distance view of the ocean.

Golf isn't cheap. Look into some of the packages. When we were there in April, they were offering a "Customer Appreciation" package that gave me a round of golf on each course (Bay, Village & Plantation) for about $125 or $150 a round, plus free use of the driving range each day, or something like that. It wound up being cheaper than if I paid to play each course separately.

I think this hotel is terrific. In fact, next to my experience with some properties in Hong Kong, the RC Kapalua is my favorite vacation spot around the globe. The Four Seasons on the South Shore is also very nice, but if you're staying up in Kapalua or Kaanapali, the Ritz is tough to beat. Excellent service, great bars and restaurants, and a pretty good beach. It's not the best on the island, but it's directly accessible from the hotel (a few minutes walk down from the pool). They offer chaise lounges (though you can't take them ONTO the sand), and the surf's not too rough, so it's good for those who aren't expert swimmers. Take a pair of water shoes or old sneakers, though, as it's a bit rocky under the surface of the water and it's easy to stub or cut a toe or foot.

Mrs. dchristiva and I have been twice (both times in Apr. & May) and have had wonderful experiences. I highly recommend this property. Just be sure to bring a lot of cash or a lot of points. It's not a cheap place to stay.
Old Aug 26, 2004, 4:48 pm

golf

so it seems golf and the spa are equally expensive! but then again you cant expect less from a resort.

I wonder why reviews are so mixed on this property on tripadvisor etc... All I'm hoping for is no rain and a relaxed time!
Old Aug 27, 2004, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by deeman
so it seems golf and the spa are equally expensive! but then again you cant expect less from a resort.

I wonder why reviews are so mixed on this property on tripadvisor etc... All I'm hoping for is no rain and a relaxed time!
Yes, golf & the spa are equally expensive. I think it's a conspiracy so that it equals out for both sexes.

If you go to the RC solely hoping for no rain and a relaxed time, I'd say that there's a strong chance you'll get your wishes. Aloha and have a lava flow for me!
Old Aug 27, 2004, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by dchristiva
Yes, golf & the spa are equally expensive. I think it's a conspiracy so that it equals out for both sexes.

If you go to the RC solely hoping for no rain and a relaxed time, I'd say that there's a strong chance you'll get your wishes. Aloha and have a lava flow for me!

thanks dchristiva... heres a silly question for you.... whats a lava flow? Also do you recommend any food places around the hotel? we'll have a car.
Old Aug 30, 2004, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

thanks dchristiva... heres a silly question for you.... whats a lava flow? Also do you recommend any food places around the hotel? we'll have a car.
Lava flows are (relatively) popular local drinks in Hawaii. Ask for one at any bar, or better yet, poolside at the Ritz! It's worth trying once.

I could go on and on about restaurant recommendations on Maui. Some of my favorites include David Paul's Lahina Grill and Mama's Fish House. On the Kapalua property, the Plantation House is good (reserve a table about 1/2 an hour before sunset) and one other restaurant whose name escapes me was also worthwhile. It's right on the water and is also a great sunset-viewing spot. I'll try to come up with the name and post it here. As a matter of fact, I think that it was mentioned in a thread on "great views, mediocre food". Personally, I thought the food was far better than "mediocre", and the view definitely made it worthwhile.
Old Aug 30, 2004, 9:41 am

well, you seemed to have a disagreement on one message board regarding the bay club at the Kapalua Bay Hotel in Maui, could that be the one

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryFF
The Bay Club at the Kapalua Bay Hotel on Maui.

I'll disagree with this one. Mrs. dchristiva and I dined here in late April 2004 and had a great meal, and a great view of the sunset.

Originally Posted by dchristiva
Lava flows are (relatively) popular local drinks in Hawaii. Ask for one at any bar, or better yet, poolside at the Ritz! It's worth trying once.

I could go on and on about restaurant recommendations on Maui. Some of my favorites include David Paul's Lahina Grill and Mama's Fish House. On the Kapalua property, the Plantation House is good (reserve a table about 1/2 an hour before sunset) and one other restaurant whose name escapes me was also worthwhile. It's right on the water and is also a great sunset-viewing spot. I'll try to come up with the name and post it here. As a matter of fact, I think that it was mentioned in a thread on "great views, mediocre food". Personally, I thought the food was far better than "mediocre", and the view definitely made it worthwhile.
Old Aug 30, 2004, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

well, you seemed to have a disagreement on one message board regarding the bay club at the Kapalua Bay Hotel in Maui, could that be the one

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryFF
The Bay Club at the Kapalua Bay Hotel on Maui.

I'll disagree with this one. Mrs. dchristiva and I dined here in late April 2004 and had a great meal, and a great view of the sunset.
Bay Club - yes, that's the one. I thought the meal was good and the view and location were excellent. Neither the Plantation House nor the Bay Club are cheap, but I enjoyed both. Heck, I found very few restaurants on Maui to be "cheap", but I was on vacation and expected to pay a bit of a premium. I'm sure the Hawaii board or any Hawaii travel books can direct you to some good restaurant "values", if that's what you seek.
Old Jan 1, 2005, 11:22 pm

Post Hotel Review - Ritz Carlton Kapalua

Hi There,

I've been making some notes on the hotels I've stayed at during my recent Christmas vacation point burn and thought I would share them. I did a three island tour on Maui, Hawai'i and Oahu.

The first stop was Maui and the Ritz Carlton Kapalua for 6 nights.

<---- start review ---->

Overall Rating (out of 5) - :-: :-: :-: :-:

^ Good Points
- Love the location it was remote but services were accessible a short cab ride down the road.
- In room fridge was empty and you could order stuff in bulk (e.g., 6 x 500 ml waters for $12) from room service.
- The resort has a little package store close to the Ritz where things can be purchased cheaper than at the Ritz "in room shopping" itself. Handy for stocking the fridge with water.
- Concierge staff was first rate and very helpful with setting up scuba trips, prearranged cab pickups, restaurant recommendations, etc.
- If you run in the early morning, there are bottles of water and towels available at the main entrance. There is a pretty good map that shows relative distances. Beware the hills they don't seem that long in the shuttle but when you're running up them....
- Beach was nice. The snorkelling is not that great but you can see some things if you go to the far right of the bay. There is a shower station and a snack bar on the beach. This is a shuttle that will get you back and forth to the hotel as it is about 200 m from the pool area in the courtyard to the beach but it is also a nice walk (down to the beach and up to the hotel).
- The fitness facility was well set up and had personal video monitors on the cardio equipment and free headsets available as well.
- Couples massage was very nice. It was in a small tent in the courtyard. I'd recommend this at night (we did ours at 7:00 pm) as the pool area is closeby and so there were no screaming kids running about, just the odd chatter from the hotel and the sounds of the birds in the trees.
- The bathrooms were well equiped. Our room had two sinks, a bathtub, shower enclosure and a small doored room for the toilet.
- Complementary flower lei's upon arrival for both myself and my wife.
- Complementary shuttle service about the Kapalua resort.

Bad Points
- Breakfast Buffet at the Terrace restaurant (in the hotel) is incredibly expensive at $26 per head (not including tip). Oatmeal is made to order as part of the continental buffet ($19 I believe) however, I didn't find out about this until I asked one day if oatmeal was available.
- Wife was a little distraught at the cockroach she found crawling around our bathroom at 2:00 am. Later in our stay, she found a lizard which she took a picture of and then helped leave our room rather quickly.
- My wife, being hearing impaired was disappointed that the TV did not have any closed captioning. She likes to watch a bit of TV before going to sleep. I was surprised that there was nothing the hotel could do in providing closed captioning boxes.
- Outside of the pool area, the hotel is rather plain architecturally. There is the central area for checking in and such but then two wings around the pool that hold the room and other amenities. Nothing outstanding.
- No guest laundry services. It would be nice to have one of these. I understand its the ritz and you're there to be pampered but paying laundry service pricing for day to day items can get expensive quickly. There is a coin op laundry about 2 lights down from the hotel in the bottom floor of the strip mall by the Outback Steakhouse. (Its about a $10 cab ride).

@:-) Other things of Note:
- Sansei Restaurant on the resort grounds is awesome. Its a short hop on the resort shuttle from the Ritz. The panko crusted ahi in wasabi butter sauce was amazing. I ate there three nights in a row (not bad given I was only at the resort for 6).
- Breakfast at the resort itself is expensive. There are a couple alternatives. The Honolua store had a basic breakfast that is much cheaper or for a more upscale choice, catch the shuttle to the Plantation House at the Plantation golf course. I had a great breakfast for $15 including tip (ham and cheese omlette, breakfast potatoes, tea).
- Plantation course is great but I have to admit, I enjoyed the Bay and Valley courses just as much. I would probably play either of those courses again before I went back to the Plantation course. The views on all three courses were stunning with Plantation being probably the best of the three).
- The cab ride to and from the airport in Kahului was about $80 - $85 with tip.
- Lahaina Divers was a first rate organization to do a trip to Molokini. I would dive with them again.
- I was on a MR stay so I got a basic room. The room was garden/golf view but did not have a view of the ocean. If you are in the left wing of the hotel and on the left most side of it (as your looking at the main entrance) you will not have a view of the ocean. That being said, you will have a great view of the par 3 third hole of the Bay Course.
- Proshops for the 3 golf courses have about 50% common items and 50% unique. I found a great shirt at the Bay course that I really liked that was not available in any of the other shops. If you don't find exactly what you're looking for in one, check the others before settling for something else.

<---- end review ---->

Blain

Last edited by Blain; Jan 1, 2005 at 11:43 pm Reason: added the overall rating icons and mentioned in room fridge

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.