Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Houston, TX

Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Houston, TX

Old Sep 16, 2011, 11:24 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards-Lifetime Titanium, Priority Club-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, United-Silver
Originally Posted by Muerz
I'm looking to do a vacation in the Houston area in early november and have trouble deciding on a hotel. I haven't been to Houston before so I don't know which area the hotel should preferably be located in. This trip will mostly about shopping and the usual touristy sights as well as the coastal area around Galveston. Galleria looks like a good bet but is rather expensive. What about Energy Corridor or North Houston? Are those convenient or should I stick to the Galleria/Downtown area?
I'd be most interrested in full service properties or Courtyards. I'll have a rental car but I wouldn't want to be located in an area with unbearable traffic.
A question that is really important to me: which properties have in-room safes? This is really important to me since I don't like to store a laptop at the front desk and being there on vacation I don't want to take it along every day!
Thanks in advance for your help!
The Galleria area is probably best for you given what you want to do. The Energy Corridor is way out on the west side of town and downtown is more for business folks than tourists. THE JW is one of the best hotels in Houston. If you can afford to stay there, then do that. Its right across the street from the Galleria and a few blocks to I-610 which will be convenient to traveling around the city. If the JW is too expensive, there is a Courtyard on Sage which is a few blocks away from the JW but still walking distance to the Galleria. The Courtyard is nice, I stay there most of the time I'm in Houston, but nothing remarkable about it.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 12:20 pm

Programs: DL Plat,AA Plat,UA 1Peon,SW(WN) Passing Grade
.....agree that you'll want to be near the Galleria for sights and shopping.....there's a ResInn on McCue Rd just a block from Galleria.... it's an aged property, but that means large rooms and free parking .....and when we are on a buying-and-art trip, having the ResInn kitchen (and free breakfast) makes for a more adaptable stay..... there are those times you just want to have warmed-up take-out, not be out in public at restaurants

Because of the "oil bidness" there's a good amount of international, errrr, non-Texan sights....... the Menil art museums (menil.org) and its Rothko Chapel seem to be the "must-see" sights for the outside-USA crowd.

Enjoy!
Old Sep 16, 2011, 2:09 pm

I also like the J.W. Marriott and agree that for vacation purposes is probably the best choice (if price is less important) as it across the street from Galleria and many good restaurants are close by.

I stay frequently at the Marriott Energy Corridor and while it is new and a well run property, it is a little far away for vacation purposes.

Dan
Old Sep 16, 2011, 8:03 pm

Houston Marriott's w/bonus promo?

I was thinking I read somewhere that a few of the Houston, TX Marriott's were running a promo for extra points or maybe it was miles.

Does anyone know if this is true? and if so, which one's? I did find the three on the Marriott website, but I was thinking there were others somewhere, just can't find where I read it.

I am a newbie to FT and thought the original poster might be interested in the info. as well. I hope this is not highjacking the thread. If so, I apologize.

Last edited by shoreline; Sep 16, 2011 at 10:54 pm
Old Sep 17, 2011, 7:03 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
While I don't know much about Houston, I have stayed at both the JW and the FS in the Galleria area recently and can offer this perspective. The JW is a very, very nice hotel. The FS is a very, very nice, but not as nice, hotel. Both are on my stay-again list.

Price being my factor, the FS is actually often a bargain, so it wins. The rooms were non-descript up-to-date FS. The employees were above-and-beyond helpful at every turn. (And, in the case of the evening CL Attendant, almost oo much so.) If your plan is to do little more than sleep in the room and use the CL, this is a good choice.

If you do stay at the FS... someone at the front desk recommended the Greek restaurant around the corner from the hotel. It was awesome.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 8:16 am

I has been some time, but at one point, a guest could hear road noise from the FS property, but not at the J.W.

They might have remedied that since my last stay (a few years ago), but I would put that warning out there if you are a light sleeper.

Dan
Old Sep 18, 2011, 10:20 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
I've stayed at the JW a few times and love it. There's a free shuttle to restaurants that are a few minutes away in addition to the Galleria right across the street. You also might want to check out the Renaissance which is nearby and VERY nice. Check out the write ups on Marriott.com and reviews on Trip Advisor, but I think you'll be happy at either one.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by dan1431
I has been some time, but at one point, a guest could hear road noise from the FS property, but not at the J.W.

They might have remedied that since my last stay (a few years ago), but I would put that warning out there if you are a light sleeper.

Dan
My recent room faced a solid cement wall. While the view was one of the worst ever, the room was very quiet.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by njcommodore
I've stayed at the JW a few times and love it. There's a free shuttle to restaurants that are a few minutes away in addition to the Galleria right across the street. You also might want to check out the Renaissance which is nearby and VERY nice. Check out the write ups on Marriott.com and reviews on Trip Advisor, but I think you'll be happy at either one.
Just a warning RE: the Renaissance, while it is a very nice hotel, Sundays can be a disaster if you desire to leave their parking lot at certain times of day.

There is some sort of arena/convention center across the street from Renaissance that seems to frequently be in use on Sundays (talking like Las Vegas sized conventions) and you have to compete for space on the main road with all those people coming and going from the large area/convention center.

Otherwise a great property.

Dan
Old Sep 18, 2011, 3:59 pm

Just a warning RE: the Renaissance, while it is a very nice hotel, Sundays can be a disaster if you desire to leave their parking lot at certain times of day.

There is some sort of arena/convention center across the street from Renaissance that seems to frequently be in use on Sundays (talking like Las Vegas sized conventions) and you have to compete for space on the main road with all those people coming and going from the large area/convention center.

Otherwise a great property.

Dan
Are you referring to Lakewood Church? (Joel Osteen's Church) It seats about 17,000 and attracts something like 45,000 people each Sunday. It's also kinda across the street from the Ren and is bigger than many stadiums.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 4:01 pm

If you don't mind not being right at the Galleria, the Marriott Westchase is nice.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 5:18 pm

Programs: DL Plat,AA Plat,UA 1Peon,SW(WN) Passing Grade
Originally Posted by CJKatl
Are you referring to Lakewood Church? (Joel Osteen's Church) It seats about 17,000 and attracts something like 45,000 people each Sunday. It's also kinda across the street from the Ren and is bigger than many stadiums.

......and the building is the former NBA stadium in Houston.....now the church!
Old Sep 18, 2011, 6:37 pm

I have no idea, it might be I honestly have no idea.

Dan
Old Sep 19, 2011, 6:52 am

I have no idea, it might be I honestly have no idea.

Dan
When you drive past on the highway, you cannot help but see the church. When you drive to or from the hotel, though, you probably won't see it. It is the huge thing right by the hotel, and would be active on Sundays, so it's gotta be it.

I did stay there on a Sunday, but didn't get to the hotel until around six. By then, the there didn't appear to be too much traffic.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 7:26 am

When you drive past on the highway, you cannot help but see the church. When you drive to or from the hotel, though, you probably won't see it. It is the huge thing right by the hotel, and would be active on Sundays, so it's gotta be it.

I did stay there on a Sunday, but didn't get to the hotel until around six. By then, the there didn't appear to be too much traffic.
Learn something new every day, I had no idea that huge building was a Church, never imagined that a single Church could attract so many people, but it does make sense that it would be busy on Sundays.

I rarely take the 59 and thus probably would not pass the front of the building (only ever seen the building from the side facing the Renaissance).

Dan

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.