Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Houston, TX

Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Houston, TX

Old Jan 28, 2004, 7:39 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA- Lifetime Platinum; Marriott - Lifetime Platinum: Starwood - Gold; IHG - Platinum
"Houston--along with Dallas/FtWorth and Austin--is a center if wealth in TX (otherwise the state is surprisingly poor)."

Huh? What a sweeping generalization! I would have to completely disagree. I will agree, though, that Houston is not the prettiest part of the state.

"Thus, you'll see plenty of folks flashing money (The local ethos seems to be 'there-no-such-thing-as-too-much'"

I have lived here for 35 years and haven't seen much of that in Houston or Dallas.
Old Jan 28, 2004, 9:41 pm

Programs: Co Plat - Marriott Plat
JW at the Galleria would be my choice. Its a great hotel and in great location.
Old Jan 28, 2004, 9:49 pm

Programs: WN Rapid Rewards, DL SkyMiles, UA MileagePlus, HiltonHonors
Though there may be some less populated counties in TX that, per capita, are wealthier than the big cities, the major centers of wealth, commerce, and industry in Texas are concentrated in the three big cities I mentioned. Indeed, Travis county (Austin), Tarrant and Dallas counties (Dallas/Ft. Worth) and Harris county (Houston) all have household incomes that are above the national median, while Texas overall has income levels that are below the national average. As for poverty: Texas has a poverty rate that is 20% higher than the national average (all data from the U.S. Census bureau at www.census.gov).

And As for flashing money: each time I visit Houston I’m amused by the significant numbers of people who wear lots of flashy jewelry, drive big fancy cars, etc. Maybe it’s just me, or maybe you’re just used to it.

Anyway, we’re off topic and could get bumped to OMNI. The original question was about where to stay in Houston. Since Houston is so spread out and mobility is a significant issue, my general advice would be to stay to close to where one needs to be.
Old Jan 29, 2004, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I would stay away from the Renaissance, unless you happen to have business South of Houston or in that particular office park. The rooms are nice, the service is good, but it fails to meet the convenience factor, particularly if you have business downtown.

In the event you do stay here, you should rent a car as a taxi from IAH runs $60+ since you must go past downtown Houston. Not to mention another $10 from the hotel back to downtown.
Old Jan 29, 2004, 4:24 pm

Programs: STARS/LUMINOUS, PRIVE, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club
Go with the JW. Its an old property but the service is quite good.
Old Jan 29, 2004, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: La Ministreuse de Surréalisme, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat
I would also say the JW. Some of the rooms are better than others (they do upgrade Plats), and the location is good. If you need some restaurant suggestions nearby, email me, and I'll give you a list based on your preferences. Enjoy your stay. Houston really isn't that bad
Old Jan 29, 2004, 8:41 pm

Programs: Co Plat - Marriott Plat
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by senatorgirth:
And As for flashing money: each time I visit Houston I’m amused by the significant numbers of people who wear lots of flashy jewelry, drive big fancy cars, etc. Maybe it’s just me, or maybe you’re just used to it.</font>
While people in Houston are well paid, we have the lowest cost of living of any major meto area in the country.. so we might have extra money to spend on jewelry and cars. Your right- we get use to living the good life and only someone from outside of Texas would notice....

Old Jun 20, 2006, 9:56 pm

Location: Mesa, AZ USA - UA Prem Ex- SPG Gold - Hilton Diamond - Marriot Platinum - Avis Chairman - National EE
Reviews of 5 Houston Area Marriotts

I have stayed at a number of Houston area Marriott and Hilton Hotels in the past 4 months and thought that a review of some of these properties was in order to give other FT'ers heads up on some of the properties. The Marriott’s are below.

As with any post on FlyerTalk…your mileage may vary.

Marriott Houston Hobby Airport
Hobby Airport Houston

Pros
5 Minutes from Hobby if you have an early flight or clients nearby. If you are lucky enough to get to hotel early be sure to ask for a room facing away from the freeway. These rooms are very quiet

Cons
This property is an older Marriott that has had a few refittings (like the Old Starship Enterprise) over the years. But is right on (literally) the 45 freeway and on 3 sides of the building is extremely noisy. The hotel has an old style open atrium and that also contributes a bit to the noise in your room. Like all properties near Hobby, there is not much in the way of upscale (just down low scale) restaurants in the immediate area. The best bet when staying at a property in the Hobby airport area is to head 5 miles south to the i45 South - Sam Houston Beltway or to Bay area Blvd 3 miles further south on the 45 to find a great choice of restaurants and shopping etc.

Recognition of Status
Was given an upgrade to a suite on the concierge floor without asking. The staff also smiles and greets you by last name. This should be the norm for so called “elites” at the full service properties but is so rare that I take notice when it occurs.

Other
Internet was 9.95 for 24 hours Wireless access.
Platinums get access to free internet in the Business Lounge. Parking is free at this hotel. As elite you get access to the Concierge lounge which has a rather limited selection for evening snack and breakfast

SpringHill Suites Houston Hobby Airport
Hobby Airport Houston

Pros
5 minutes from Hobby.

Cons
Where shall I start. Well you get what you book (or pay for) in this life. This Spring Hill Suites was absolutely nasty. As can be expected at this type of property..upkeep and maintenance are not top priorities.

Recognition of Status
The front desk staff sees so few Platinums here that they looked at me like I was an alien (Beam Me up Scotty) and did not upgrade me to a larger nastier room. This was actually a good thing since I escaped from this property the next morning and staying in a smaller room made it less likely that I would get bed bugs in my luggage etc

Other
Free Wireless Internet and parking as with nearly all non Full Service Marriott Properties. I would not let my pooch eat at this property so I can't comment on the breakfast.

Courtyard Houston Hobby Airport
Hobby Airport Houston

Pros
5 minutes from Hobby. Inner Courtyard rooms are actually pretty quiet. (This property is 2 doors down from Spring Hill Suites and is about 500 yards down from the Marriott Houston Hobby Airport.

Cons
The walls are paper thin at this property. I heard the guy next to my room the one night I was there sawing down the Brazilian Rainforest while he slept. Like all properties near Hobby, there Is not much in the way of upscale (just down low scale) restaurants in the immediate area. The Best bet when staying at a property in the Hobby airport area is to head 5 miles south to the i45 South - Sam Houston Beltway or to Bay area Blvd 3 miles further south on the 45 to find a great choice of restaurants and shopping etc.

Recognition of Status
Was upgraded to the largest room available facing the Courtyard after asking. Front Desk staff was very professional and courteous.

Other
Free Wired Internet and parking as with nearly all non Full Service Marriott Properties. Breakfast was serviceable.

Renaissance Houston Hotel Greenway Plaza
West Houston not far from Galleria or Rice University

Pros
A bit closer if working or visiting downtown than the hotels in the Galleria area. Right Next to Lakewood Church (former Compaq Center) if visiting to see Joel Osteen. You have to drive to get to them but there are tons of restaurants, theatres etc in the area. The hotel itself was built as a convention hotel and as a result is not really warm or cozy. but it is maintained well and the rooms are clean

Cons
The property is a 1970’s era hotel with an all glass Facade. As you can imagine this property can get very noisy during evening or morning rush hour with traffic on the 59. Also other than Lakewood Church, there is nothing within walking distance of this property. Most guests at this property drive but that is quite a hassle to have to go down to get your rental car each time you want to get something to eat etc.

Recognition of Status
Had a Marriott Rewards Check in area that was staffed when I arrived at property. Was upgraded to a large corner suite without asking at this hotel.

Other
Wireless Internet was 9.95 per day. Self Parking was 9.00 per day

Houston Marriott West Loop by the Galleria
Galleria Area just west of the Loop 610

Pros
Like most hotels in the Galleria area the main Pro is that it is close to Galleria Mall and to the 610 and i59 freeways.

Cons
The proximity of this property to the 610 is its major downfall. The windows at this property are just not thick enough to cut down on the constant din of cars and trucks on the freeway. Even rooms that are far back from the freeway are extremely noisy. Unlike the other hotels that are along the 610 in this part of Houston, this hotel is not perpendicular to the freeway but is at an angle. Thus ALL of the rooms get the full blast of freeway noise. With that being the case I can not in clear conscience recommend this hotel
(unless you happen to be hard of hearing or sleep like a hibernating bear) to fellow FTers and would recommend instead the full service JW Marriot
about 2 miles west of this hotel on Westheimer.

Recognition of Status
Got an upgrade to a corner room (Which was so noisy I had to sleep with my Bose headphones on at night) on my first stay. On subsequent stays I have had issues even getting a room on the concierge level and have had to ask for and then wait for the front desk staff to find a room on the higher floors. Always given access to concierge lounge which has friendly staff but slim pickings for both the evening meal and breakfast

Other
Internet access is 9:00 per day and parking is 12:00 per day I believe. (someone correct me on the parking if incorrect)
Old Jun 20, 2006, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
Years ago the Hobby Marriott was a Holiday Inn. You're right -- it is an older property, and while it's had some updates over the years, it could still use a little more renovation.
Old Jun 28, 2006, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Does the Hobby Marriott show the new bedding with duvet and decorative throw? or still the old design as shown on the web site?
Old Jun 28, 2006, 8:02 pm

Programs: US Gold, Avis CHM, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Silver
I stayed at the Hobby Spring Hill Suites a few weeks a ago. While I wouldn't say it was "nasty" I would say that it was rather run down. One of the dumpiest Spring Hill Suites I have seen. They do have the new beds there, which was nice.

No recognition of platinum status but they did remember the platinum gift (cookies and bottled water). No room upgrade for me either. Do they even have up level rooms?

And they forgot my wakeup call. Good thing I use my cell phone as a backup alarm clock. The internet connection was on and off at times. Not sure why.
Old Jun 28, 2006, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
I used to stay at the Ren in the latter '90s (I had a client in the One Greenway building). Did they close the small underground "mini-mall" which had a few restaurants and a movie theatre which programmed "art-house" films? (you could walk from the lower lobby directly into the mall area).
Old Jun 29, 2006, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime 1K, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HH Diamond, Delta Base, AA Base
I used to stay at the West Loop Marriott, as it was far better priced than the JW. I had no issues with noise, but I also turn the AC fan on high always.
Another nearby option is the Medical Center Marriott, which is good, too.
As a Plat., both treated me well.
Old Jan 14, 2007, 8:46 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold , HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, Aadvantage, Rapid Rewards CP
Update on the Renaissance at Greenway Plaza

Just a note to say that the internet fee is $11 and includes long distance and the self-parking is $10 a night now. The hotel is pet friendly (20 lbs and under) - they even give you a pet welcome kit with treats, poop pick up bags, and a form for you to list your contact info in case you plan to leave the pet alone in the room and there is a problem. There is a business center and it also costs to use the internet there - 69c a minute I believe. We were just there last night and enjoyed our stay. The room seemed clean and updated since our last stay. The previous poster did not mention that there are restaurants within the hotel. We did not eat there and so I can't comment on them other than they have usual hotel pricing on the menu. The little mall mentioned has no tenants now.

Frenchie Flyer
Old Jan 16, 2007, 11:24 am

Programs: Most....Four elite air/ Three hotel elites - UA MillionMiler - DL RWT alum
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
I used to stay at the Ren in the latter '90s (I had a client in the One Greenway building). Did they close the small underground "mini-mall" which had a few restaurants and a movie theatre which programmed "art-house" films? (you could walk from the lower lobby directly into the mall area).
The mini-mall with food court (several varieties), post office, sundry shops, FedEx and services shops are still there. The underground walkways are the way to get around in Greenway Plaza. Also, the 3 Greenway Plaza movie theatres with "art films" is west across the street. See if they will let you use the Houston City Club over there, too, if their fitness faciilies are not enough. Go across the US 59 freeway to the restaurants in the "midway" between US 59 and the parallel railroad tracks / Westpark for food. Also several good restaurants in and across from the "Kroger center" 1 block further on the other side of Westpark.

On the oddball, you can also pick your Girl Scout cookies up at GS HQ or stop at AAA HQ for travel info a couple blocks away, or take a Red Cross refresher class day, night, or weekend at the ARC - Houston HQ a couple blocks east by Kirby, all on the US 59 feeder on the same side of the road.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.