Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Houston, TX

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Houston, TX

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:13 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold
A few weeks back I stayed at the Renaissance Houston Greenway Plaza for a week.

I arrived at the hotel on a Saturday night/Sunday morning at 2:30 am due to an enormous delay on an inbound flight from Frankfurt. I was checked in really fast and got a regular room on a high floor.

The room itself was ok, refreshed but not entirely renovated, except for the big flaw that it did not have a safe. I really don't understand why business hotels like this one still don't have safes.

I wasn't given breakfast or drink coupons for the weekend nights and the lounge is closed from Friday 11 am to Sunday hors d'oeuvres. I only went to the lounge for breakfast and it is then serviced by two really nice concierges, one of whom sets up and clears tables (even brings fresh squeezed OJ) and one attendant who makes eggs on demand. Apart from the fresh eggs, the spread is ok, but it did not change for the entire week. The lounge is smallish (sized like two regular rooms) and it was heavily crowded between 7 and 8 am each morning. It can get difficult to find seats this early but starting 8:15 am you're almost alone. It seemed to me that there were many regulars at this property, the lounge attendant knowing many patrons by name.

The location suited us well, right in the middle of everything, but then again we had a car. Parking fee was not discounted or waived for this Platinum member.

The valet staff at this property is outsourced and doubles as bellboys and they were all very courteous. Service was friendly as well at the in-house Starbucks. The front desk friendliness depended on who serviced it. Some were really friendly and quick to resolve an issue ("You've got like a gazillion points with Marriott Rewards, of course late check out won't be an issue.") to not interested at all ("Please come back in the morning and we'll look if we can arrange a late check out." - "1 PM is the biggest favor I can do since we are really busy tonight"). As it turned out, the hotel was almost empty on the check out night...

One service problem did arise on the second night as our room was not serviced. I called down and asked for new towels. I told them it wasn't a problem and that it was not necessary to clean my room then, but I was a bit disappointed that the hotel didn't do anything to acknowledge the problem (perhaps by setting up a wine/cheese tray the next night or even something as little as a card).

Overall this is an OK place for the rate that I paid (89.90$ plus tax) but I would not pay 240$ to sleep here. Now, if I could only get them to post my stay...
Old Dec 13, 2012, 1:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the trip report. I'll update the exec lounge sticky.

Cheers.
Old May 20, 2013, 8:25 pm

Help with planning Houston trip?

Hi, all.

I'm thinking of a trip to Houston Thursday 7/4 to Saturday 7/6. Ideally I'd like to visit the Galleria for a little bit, but my focus will be on the art museum district (Menil, Houston Museum of Arts) and Montrose. I'll be needing to take advantage of the MegaBonus, so I will plan for two one-night stays. I also hope to be gold by that point through a challenge.

I can stay at the JW Galleria and Marriott by West Loop for a great price. I think the Marriott has a shuttle service to Galleria and maybe within a certain radius. I could also capitalize on gold benefits. However, getting around to main sightseeing places I'd want to see seems tough on public transport. Other options would be Courtyard West University and Medical Center, which are more accessible on public transport but less luxurious and don't offer the benefits.

Any thoughts on which option?
Old May 20, 2013, 8:31 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
I stayed at both and MR West Loop has great CL in the evening. JW does have breakfast for elites on weekend.
Old May 20, 2013, 11:28 pm

Programs: AA Gold; WN A-List Pref., CP; Marriott Plat.
Any reason you wouldn't rent a car? This far out you should be able to find a cheap rate. It would give you some flexibility and probably save you some cab fares (and bus headaches). Houston is a big and spread out city.

You can walk to the Galleria from the JW. I can't speak to the West Loop. You might check the Hotel Icon downtown (and Autograph property) as another option.

Finally - you might check for LNF rates. I have been pretty successful in Houston.

Have fun!
Old May 21, 2013, 12:12 am

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Only been to Houston once, but I can't imagine doing that city without a car. It's a long trek from IAH to south of downtown, so your car & insurance & gas is probably cheaper than cabs.

Public transport is buses and one streetcar line.

Your profile on the sidebar doesn't say where you're from, but if you're not from those parts, remember you'll be travelling in July. The AVERAGE daily high is 94 F / 34 C. You don't want to be walking around and waiting for buses.

Have fun.
Old May 21, 2013, 5:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plt, Hilton Gold, BA Silver, GE
Houstonian here...

Get a car. Taxi from IAH to the Galleria area is more than a day rate for a std car. It'll be easily 95+ in July.

Both Galleria locations are walkable to the mall with the JW being the closest, hop across Westheimer. The Marriott being a 5, maybe 10 minute walk.

The museum district is a 10 drive up hwy 59. There's a few Marriott properties along the way but nothing to write home about.

As the other FTer posted, you can stay downtown at the Icon but downtown Houston is dangerous at night even along Main Street. The Medical Center is just South of the Museum District and easily accessible to the museums by lite rail except the Menil.

I hope you enjoy your stay and time in H-town. PM if you need any help.
Old May 21, 2013, 6:21 am

Thanks all. I'll be coming from Dallas.
Old May 21, 2013, 8:13 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
1. Rent a car. Even with parking charges, beats the alternatives.
2. The Galleria JW is not a "fancy" hotel, but is within easy walking distance of both the galleria and many restaurants, and is a bit more convenient than the west Loop location.
3. Too say that it will be hot and muggy is understatement. Houston, though I love it, is a 50 mile circle of landfill atop what was once a pestilential swamp drained only by a few stagnant bayous with July weather comparable to the Mekong Delta. Even mad dogs and Englishmen avoid the midday sun.
Old May 21, 2013, 10:04 am

Programs: Delta Skymile DM, Marriott Platinum, PC Gold, Avis Chairman's Club, National EE
Stayed at the JW last December. Was a wonderful property. It was a weekend and received a very nice suite upgrade.

Originally Posted by joetro
Hi, all.

I'm thinking of a trip to Houston Thursday 7/4 to Saturday 7/6. Ideally I'd like to visit the Galleria for a little bit, but my focus will be on the art museum district (Menil, Houston Museum of Arts) and Montrose. I'll be needing to take advantage of the MegaBonus, so I will plan for two one-night stays. I also hope to be gold by that point through a challenge.

I can stay at the JW Galleria and Marriott by West Loop for a great price. I think the Marriott has a shuttle service to Galleria and maybe within a certain radius. I could also capitalize on gold benefits. However, getting around to main sightseeing places I'd want to see seems tough on public transport. Other options would be Courtyard West University and Medical Center, which are more accessible on public transport but less luxurious and don't offer the benefits.

Any thoughts on which option?
Old May 22, 2013, 11:38 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Originally Posted by jbdear
Any reason you wouldn't rent a car? This far out you should be able to find a cheap rate. It would give you some flexibility and probably save you some cab fares (and bus headaches). Houston is a big and spread out city.

You can walk to the Galleria from the JW. I can't speak to the West Loop. You might check the Hotel Icon downtown (and Autograph property) as another option.

Finally - you might check for LNF rates. I have been pretty successful in Houston.

Have fun!
Keep in mind too though, if you are renting a car there is no free parking at either JW or West Loop.

There also is the Courtyard a couple of blocks from the JW. It is not fancy but the staff is terrific.
Old May 22, 2013, 12:40 pm

Thanks, all. I think I'm going to start at Marriott West Loop and use the free shuttle to get close to Bayoux Bay mansion then Galleria for dinner. Then, I'll switch the next day to the JW. I can cab to Houston Museum of Art and a quick cab or walk to Menil collection and Mentrose. Then this puts me on a direct bus line back to JW that evening. So, it's sort of doable on public transportation/cabs and seems to be less expensive (and much less of a hassle!) then renting a car. I appreciate, though, that Houston will be very hot/humid.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 7:39 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
I heard a rumor that the Humble Tower Apartments - wedged between the downtown Residence Inn and Courtyard in the same building - is being phased out and will be replaced with a Springhill Suites, making this a tri-brand Marriott building. Don't know when, guess they will have to kick out the apartment tenants as their leases are up.

Heard this from a realtor at a nearby high end apartment building.

...checking news feeds, this is all part of adding hotels for Super Bowl 51 in 2017. Will include a Marriott Marquis and a JW Marriott downtown:

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?se...rts&id=9111811

Last edited by dmodemd; Jun 5, 2013 at 7:44 pm
Old Sep 26, 2013, 3:46 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold
Any recent experience at either JW Houston or Marriott West Loop concerning weekend breakfast service?
Old Feb 18, 2014, 11:42 pm

Programs: DL GM, UA Silver, Marriott Plat, National Exec
Come Stay in Houston: The "Bajou City"

I mean, I know Maryland isn't really Southern anymore, but come on, Marriott...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.