Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Loyalty Programs > Marriott and Ritz-Carlton | Rewards
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Aug 8, 12, 12:35 pm   #1
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Programs: Marriott Silver
Posts: 130
How to Improve Chances of Getting Connecting Rooms?

I have reservations for two rooms at the Fairfield Inn in Anaheim and I just called reservations to try to put in a request for adjoining rooms (traveling with grandma and toddler and thought this would be helpful). I was told that I could have made the request upon making the booking, but that now that I hadn't, they could no longer annotate the reservations and my only recourse is asking upon check-in. I was told if we arrive later in the evening (which we are), we are unlikely to get our request.

This seems nuts that they can't add an annotation to the reservation and perhaps also just wrong, so I'm hoping someone out there knows if I should be trying another avenue to improve my chances. I'd cancel and make a new reservation, but the rates have now gone up.

Should I be calling the hotel front desk on the morning of my arrival to hold rooms for me? I don't have much status (just silver), but surely Marriott would give someone with status the connecting rooms over a non-status person who just happened to check in earlier?
LesBesTes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 12, 12:49 pm   #2
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Danville, CA
Programs: Marriott lifetime Plat
Posts: 157
I would call. It couldn't hurt.

Also, years ago I found out the hard way that adjoining rooms are not the same thing as connecting rooms. Adjoining rooms are next to each other. Connecting rooms actually have that internal door that opens into both rooms.
michelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 12, 12:56 pm   #3
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: ATL
Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
Posts: 1,789
You could...
1) Call reservations again in hope of getting a more accommodating (and skilled) agent (repeat if necessary)
2) Call the hotel directly to see if the notation can be added from their end
3) Call the hotel directly within a day or two of arrival to see if a specific pair of connecting rooms could be blocked out for you
4) Take your chances when you arrive

This doesn't seem to be that unreasonable of a request, whether you have status or not. I often get stuck with connecting rooms when traveling solo. I don't care for them since they often impact furniture layout and usability as well as bleed noise from the other room.
plagwate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 12, 1:46 pm   #4
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Programs: Marriott Silver
Posts: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelin View Post
Also, years ago I found out the hard way that adjoining rooms are not the same thing as connecting rooms. Adjoining rooms are next to each other. Connecting rooms actually have that internal door that opens into both rooms.
Excellent words of warning - thanks.

I notice that the website for this particular hotel notes that 80% of their rooms are connecting, so I can't imagine this can be that hard for them. I will also try to call back to see if I can make the request to a more capable agent for now, and then will try to call the front desk closer to arrival.
LesBesTes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 12, 3:31 pm   #5
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Programs: Marriott Silver
Posts: 130
I just called the hotel directly and they were able to make the annotation on the reservation, so hopefully this will work. Will call again on the day of the reservation to try to make sure the rooms are set aside for our late arrival. Thanks all for the advice!
LesBesTes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 12, 4:05 pm   #6
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SJC
Programs: Marriott Gold, UA 2P
Posts: 1,726
I have had success calling the property to ask for connecting rooms. I have never found a way to put in this request at the time of reservation through marriott.com. I have also had success calling the MR Gold line immediately after completing the booking on marriott.com and ask them to annotate it.
legionnaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 12, 4:20 pm   #7
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Thailand
Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
Posts: 5,028
hey, if Marriott follows up on their new C&P program, perhaps the next announcement will be the ability to book 2 rooms which are connecting......................... cause they know "we" all it.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by legionnaire View Post
I have had success calling the property to ask for connecting rooms. I have never found a way to put in this request at the time of reservation through marriott.com. I have also had success calling the MR Gold line immediately after completing the booking on marriott.com and ask them to annotate it.
BKKLEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 12, 4:33 pm   #8
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Washington, DC, USA
Programs: UA 1K, SPG LifePlat, MR Gold
Posts: 1,358
I would think that a hotel would be glad to honor your request. That way, they won't get the people in room 404 and 406 complaining about being put into connecting rooms.
EricH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 12, 4:57 am   #9
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Posts: 13,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesBesTes View Post
I have reservations for two rooms at the Fairfield Inn in Anaheim and I just called reservations to try to put in a request for adjoining rooms (traveling with grandma and toddler and thought this would be helpful). I was told that I could have made the request upon making the booking, but that now that I hadn't, they could no longer annotate the reservations and my only recourse is asking upon check-in. I was told if we arrive later in the evening (which we are), we are unlikely to get our request.

This seems nuts that they can't add an annotation to the reservation and perhaps also just wrong, so I'm hoping someone out there knows if I should be trying another avenue to improve my chances. I'd cancel and make a new reservation, but the rates have now gone up.

Should I be calling the hotel front desk on the morning of my arrival to hold rooms for me? I don't have much status (just silver), but surely Marriott would give someone with status the connecting rooms over a non-status person who just happened to check in earlier?
FYI requests can be added at anytime up until arrival

Also connecting and adjoining are two completely different things

Connecting is exactly that - a door going directly from one room into another (not as common as most people think)

Adjoining is two rooms side by side
__________________
Proudly Representing Myself!
And please remember - Flyertalk rules do not allow smiles in signatures
socrates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 12, 6:37 am   #10
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 74
For me the easiest way to get connecting rooms at Marriott was to make a reservation for one person in one room. Upon check-in you have about a 90% of getting a connecting room.

At least that was my experience with Marriott in Louisville and Buffalo. It took Platinum status to reverse that trend.

I haven't travelled to Louisville in years and still have the room number of the connecting rooms permanently burned into my mind. Everytime I would hear it, I would ask for a change. Sometimes they actually even seemed to care and changed my room assignment!

Good luck.
sely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 12, 7:01 am   #11
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Thailand
Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
Posts: 5,028
how was/did reserving a room for a single person get you better odds at getting a connecting room??

Quote:
Originally Posted by sely View Post
For me the easiest way to get connecting rooms at Marriott was to make a reservation for one person in one room. Upon check-in you have about a 90% of getting a connecting room.
BKKLEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 12, 7:52 am   #12
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: CLT
Programs: US-CP, MR-PP
Posts: 3,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKKLEE View Post
how was/did reserving a room for a single person get you better odds at getting a connecting room??
He was just being sarcastic.
iztok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 12, 8:18 am   #13
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: ATL
Programs: DL:DM, Marriott:PP/LTP, Hilton:G, NatCar:EE+, Hertz:PC
Posts: 5,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by sely View Post
For me the easiest way to get connecting rooms at Marriott was to make a reservation for one person in one room. Upon check-in you have about a 90% of getting a connecting room.
AWESOME!

OP, make sure you call after nine the morning you are checking in and speak to either the hotel manager or front desk manager. If you call earliier, you run the risk of speaking to the night crew, who will be gone by the time you check in. Make sure you get the person's name, and ask for that person when you check in. If you are checking in after that person leaves, ask who will be there later and call back later and speak to that person.

IME, these types of requests are easier to ignore when the person checking you in can say that they didn't know anything about it. IME, when there is a direct connection between you and someone you will see at the hotel, your request is more likely to happen. Connecting rooms isn't guaranteed, but this will still make it more likely.
CJKatl is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 9:29 am.