Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Resort fees, destination fees and associated issues (points, waivers, etc.)

Old Jun 22, 2019, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dgreen12
A reminder that the Bonvoy program terms & conditions (section 1.3.c.v) provide:

Participating Properties that have mandatory resort charges, which include internet access, will provide a replacement benefit, to be determined at each Participating Property's discretion.
Print Wikipost

Resort fees, destination fees and associated issues (points, waivers, etc.)

Old Aug 31, 2009, 7:48 pm

Programs: Amex Biz Cent, Marriott LTP, Avis PC, Hilton Owners Diamond, AS MVP
Originally Posted by kinglobjaw
I have it removed every time at the JW Marriott Camelback Inn. At check-in, I simply tell them I will not be needing these benefits. No problem at all.

Here's what the Camelback Inn does:

Daily resort fee includes the following amenities ($150 value)
*High speed internet and wireless internet in guest rooms (have my own aircard & mini + I'm on vacation)
*Unlimited local and domestic long distance calls (own a cell phone or 2)
*Use of the resort's recreational amenities including
-unlimited range balls for driving range, chipping, putting (no golf)
-use of Calloway golf clubs and shoes on driving range
-shuttle service from resort to golf course
-use of 5 lighted tennis courts (don't play tennis in AZ)
-complimentary two hour bicycle rental (based on availability) (don't bike in AZ)
*Complimentary breakfast, lunch or dinner for children 12/under
with each adult ordering off the regular menu (no kids and I'm 19 so can't do that one either)
*One complimentary dinner appetizer daily with purchase of equal
or greater value, per room, in either BLT Steak, Rita's Kitchen (no dinner at BLT)
or R-Bar
*15 percent off retail purchases in resort shop, spa shop and
golf pro shop (I make purchases outside hotel, and already have a discount with Marriott Gold anyway).

My Dad was staying at the IC Montelucia and they would not waive the resort fee for him even though he pleaded that he does not need internet and has never even turned on a computer- the truth )

At least the Marriott is willing to remove without any hassle. For now at least... I get to do it all over again in a few days and we'll see how that goes.

-Kinglobjaw
I just stayed at this hotel a few weeks ago. I didn't care too much about the resort fee as I was staying for work, but they did hook me up by only charging for the internet (12.95 -- my aircard was getting crappy signal) each night for my 2 night stay as opposed to the $25 resort fee. I was confused at first, as internet was supposed to be included in the resort fee, but the front desk explained that they occasionally charge for a lower priced item as a courtesy for MR Plats.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 9:01 am

I checked-in last night and am staying once again at the JW Marriott Camelback Inn and fees were instantly removed.

"Would you please remove the resort fees from our reservation as we will not be using any of those services?"

"Certainly, sir!"

That was pretty easy. I hope other resort locations are willing to do such a thing.

-Kinglobjaw
Old Sep 7, 2009, 6:22 pm

Angry Resort Service Fees Should Be Outlawed!

I've been all over the Internet looking for a place to vent on this subject. In my opinion, this is the most blatant bait-and-switch tactic in the history of the hospitality industry.

I first encountered the RSF at the Westin in Rancho Mirage in 1999. When I questioned the charge, they immediately credited it back, as if they were embarrassed about it (which they should be!)

Since then, I've asked several hotel managers to justify charging a Resort Services Fee when we are already paying a premium to stay at a resort. You would not believe the range of answers I've received.

1. It's required by law.
No, its not, liar. Next.

2. It's there because services are taxed at a different rate.
They have these things now called "Computers" which can calculate different tax rates within the same charge in milliseconds. Try one some time. Besides, when you first implemented the RSF, did you carve it out of the existing rack rate, or add it on top? Yup, thought so.

3. It covers things like the key to the mini-bar in your room...
Oh...you mean the one that affords me the privilege of BUYING EVEN MORE STUFF FROM YOU?

4...the use of the resort facilities...
So, if I don't pay the RSF, you shoo me out of the room in the morning so I don't accidentally set foot in your precious swimming pool?

5...the WiFi...
You mean like the FREE WiFi at Super 8 motels? Or is this a special WiFi that gives me access to the Pentagon's servers?

6...and USA Today at your doorstep in the morning.
You've gotta be frackin' kidding.

7. Well, you're staying at a resort, and these things cost money.
So if I don't pay the RSF, this place magically converts into a Red Roof Inn?

I once checked into the Hyatt Regency in Palm Springs, and they hit me with a printed form that I had to initial to acknowledge that they were going to charge me a Resort Services Fee. I was ready. I had pre-printed a form that spelled out a Guest Privilege Fee and asked her to initial it. She said, "What's this about?" I said, "it's for the Privilege of having me as a Guest." She said, "Oh, come on, you just made that up." I said, "Hey, you started it!"

The most telling thing is that, since the ancient Romans, resorts have somehow gotten along without these fees, until roughly the mid-1990s, when Disney Resorts came up with this blatant thievery. Why do they do it now? Simple. They want a way to make their quoted rates sound more competitive. That is the ONLY reason for this. And they think that since mainly well-to-do people stay at resorts, no one's gonna complain, or if they do, they won't get any sympathy, because, after all, they're well-to-do. Well, I got news for ya. Us well-to-dos have resources to start movements and contact Attorneys General. Who's with me?
Old Sep 7, 2009, 6:31 pm

My friend, the point is not whether you use these things or not. The point is that by paying the inflated price of a resort, YOU ARE ALREADY PAYING FOR THEM. The average hotel is about $100 a night. The average resort is at least $150 up to $300 and beyond. They do that on purpose, because resorts have more stuff to pay for. I don't mind paying more to stay at a resort, but I want to pay it just once, not two or three times. The proof of what I say is in the fact that resorts never used to "resort" to this. Somehow they managed to pay their bills on their basic rack rates.

If we don't discourage this practice now, the next thing will be a Lobby Maintenance Fee. Or a Silverware Usage Fee. See where I'm going with this?

Originally Posted by markzz2
Just wondering if anyone else feels the same way about resort fees.

$25 dollars a day, but this is made up for by wonderful benefits!

Free Childrens Meals (I dont have kids!!)
Free Parking (Not driving!!)
Free local phone calls (dont know anyone locally!!)
Free use of swimming pools and sun beds (big deal.. I would expect that in the rate anyway!!)
Free Inernet (I am on holiday!!!)

So basically I am not getting anything (but questionably subsidising other peoples kids meals....... and other peoples car parking....
Old Sep 8, 2009, 9:06 am

Programs: Recovering after 7 years of UA 1K, Still UA Silver (Which means nothing), Marriott Lifetime Plat Pre
I too am for trying to fight this practice.

What are others experience with resort fees and staying on points? I have always had to pay the resort fees on top of the points in the past. I have questioned it and got the same, "Its the extra cost for washing towels and cleaning the pool, etc." But after reading this, I am going to try and fight them. I have also seen them add the tax to the resort fee, which irks me because all non-resorts, when I stay with points, are 100% free.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 10:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
i avoid resorts just not to be nickeled and dimed to death
Old Sep 8, 2009, 8:26 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Originally Posted by emanon256
I too am for trying to fight this practice.

What are others experience with resort fees and staying on points? I have always had to pay the resort fees on top of the points in the past. I have questioned it and got the same, "Its the extra cost for washing towels and cleaning the pool, etc." But after reading this, I am going to try and fight them. I have also seen them add the tax to the resort fee, which irks me because all non-resorts, when I stay with points, are 100% free.
I have never had any trouble getting them to remove the resort fee whenever I ask. In some cases, I paid it because the delta cost over basic parking fees was very small and I would be using at least some other aspect of the package. I am not sure, but I believe being a Marriott Platinum gets me more leeway in this regard. Your also platinum so I would expect they would show you the same flexibility. Other MR members with less status/no status may have issues. YMMV...

--Jon
Old Oct 3, 2009, 3:44 pm

Programs: Alaska LTG, HHonors-Gld, IHG-Dia, LT MR Ti
Checked into Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa on Maui, staying 7 nights on points. Was told the $25 resort fee was optional.

I have another stay on Kauai, this time a paid stay, we'll see how that goes.
Old Oct 3, 2009, 7:29 pm

Programs: Alaska LTG, HHonors-Gld, IHG-Dia, LT MR Ti
Just checked out of Kauai Beach Resort, on my final bill, No Resort Fees. All I had was the $12 parking charges.. Whatever! Was told to visit see the Marriott Vacation Desk... They want to book you on a time-scare deal of course.. Before I booked this, was offered a $50 resort credit, a Mahalo Card with misc discounts.. Took the two free rounds of golf, also got $40 credit at Waohai for lunch after the Time-Scare presentation ended.. I wasn't going to buy from the first minute... The most irritating part was 'The Closer' told me I wasn't properly utuilzing my MR points, and I had to re-correct him time after time about the MR Program. Guess that fool has no idea what FT is!
Old Oct 4, 2009, 9:16 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Thumbs down High Pressure Timeshare Presentation

Originally Posted by BarryL
I wasn't going to buy from the first minute... The most irritating part was 'The Closer' told me I wasn't properly utuilzing my MR points, and I had to re-correct him time after time about the MR Program. Guess that fool has no idea what FT is!
Barry,

I had a similar problem with the TS Presentation at the Maui Ocean Club. The sales agent had incorrect information about the MR Reward Program, MR Award Stays at Vacation Clubs, and MVCI information. I kept trying to correct her but she wasnt listening. My wife got annoyed with me because it just dragged the presentation on longer and we never even got to see one of the model units.

In retrospect, I agree with my wife. If I do another presentation, I'll just let them go through their spiel, make sure I do get to see a unit and politely thank them at the end and decline.

--Jon

P.S. In our case, we got two luau tickets worth $200 for our time. For Hawaii, I may just pay with cash rather than my time the next time. It just wasnt a pleasant experience.
Old Oct 4, 2009, 10:06 am

Programs: all the big ones.. no LCCs for me
Originally Posted by kinglobjaw
I checked-in last night and am staying once again at the JW Marriott Camelback Inn and fees were instantly removed.

"Would you please remove the resort fees from our reservation as we will not be using any of those services?"

"Certainly, sir!"

That was pretty easy. I hope other resort locations are willing to do such a thing.

-Kinglobjaw
as much as someone who hates these as much as the next guy the services thing really shouldnt cut it. I don't use many basic services at any property yet I subsidize those,the fees just seem to itemize these same subsidies

on that note, yes i fight like a dog to get them removed using the same excuse
Old Dec 21, 2009, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
Is there anyway to view what the resort fee actually is?

Going to be staying at the Marriott in Aruba. Any personal experiences with fees at this particular property?
Old Dec 21, 2009, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
i avoid resorts just not to be nickeled and dimed to death
That's my general practice, too. The absence of elite benefits is another reason, of course.

Bruce
Old Dec 21, 2009, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by brosnan6
I just stayed at this hotel a few weeks ago. I didn't care too much about the resort fee as I was staying for work, but they did hook me up by only charging for the internet (12.95 -- my aircard was getting crappy signal) each night for my 2 night stay as opposed to the $25 resort fee. I was confused at first, as internet was supposed to be included in the resort fee, but the front desk explained that they occasionally charge for a lower priced item as a courtesy for MR Plats.
I was paying $42.95 per month for my COMCAST high speed connection (up to 16 Mbps). Now I am paying $19.99 for it. Why does the hotel need almost $390 per month for what are usually vastly lower speeds? Plus, they should get a discount for volume. I am surprised the "resort" fee doesn't cover the marvel called Cable TV
Old Jul 14, 2011, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Do "resort fees" earn Marriott points?

I stayed at the Marriott Wailea July 1-9 and paid their (difficult-to-escape) $30/day resort fee for 8 days (plus tax!). It didn't earn any Marriott Rewards points, so I called the service center to inquire. I was told that resort fees are like taxes and don't earn points. That certainly seems like the wrong answer. I don't see a resort fee as being fundamentally different from a room charge! The hotel gets the money, after all.

Has anyone else had experience with this issue?

Bruce

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.