Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Resort fees, destination fees and associated issues (points, waivers, etc.)

Old Jun 22, 2019, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dgreen12
A reminder that the Bonvoy program terms & conditions (section 1.3.c.v) provide:

Participating Properties that have mandatory resort charges, which include internet access, will provide a replacement benefit, to be determined at each Participating Property's discretion.
Print Wikipost

Resort fees, destination fees and associated issues (points, waivers, etc.)

Old Jun 16, 2009, 6:53 pm

Programs: AA 2 MM/Lifetime Plat, AA Exec Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Camelback $25 Resort Fee

Just learned of the $25 resort fee at the JW Marriott Camelback Resort in Phoenix. We have a block of rooms reserved for my daughter's wedding over Labor Day. The contract states nothing about the resort fee. However, upon booking my room today, the email confirmation showed a $25 per day resort fee. (This was not mentioned when the reservation was made and simply showed up on the email confirmation.)

When I called concerning the additional charge, I was told that it did not apply to "group rates." However, I was also told there was nothing they can do about removing it from email confirmations. I was then told it "would not be charged upon check-out." Having stayed at Camelback many, many times over the past 12 years, and having "look no further guaranteed rates" challenged on checkout, I'm not comfortable with having an email confirmation showing the $25 daily resort fee. And then being told, "it won't be charged on check-out." However, our guests making reservations will not realize this is "not to be charged" when their confirmations show it as an add-on!

What is most interesting is that this resort offers free parking so there are no parking fees to apply towards the resort fee. In addition, the resort fee does not gain you access to the fitness equipment in the spa - that's another $20 per day charge. What it does give you is a free appetizer, free breakfast for children under 12 with a paid adult entree (which we have no children under 12), free tennis courts (which were always free during the hot Phoenix summers), unlimited golf balls at the driving range (of which we don't golf), and free local calls (which is a benefit of the Marriott rewards program). So go figure! In this case, a pure profit for this resort.

Right now, I have another reservation for August, however, I will be cancelling that room. When the resort fee is 25% of the actual room rate, something is wrong with this picture.

If anyone has had any luck in waiving this fee at Camelback, please let me know your magic words!

Cheers - and thank you -
Old Jun 16, 2009, 9:25 pm

Programs: AA Plat; HH Gold; Marriott Silver; UCLA Fan
If you have a contract that doesn't mention a resort fee, just show them the contract at check-out and refuse to pay it. If they argue, just take it up to upward management levels that it gets removed. Take a hard line, and it will work for you.

Originally Posted by law53
Just learned of the $25 resort fee at the JW Marriott Camelback Resort in Phoenix. We have a block of rooms reserved for my daughter's wedding over Labor Day. The contract states nothing about the resort fee. However, upon booking my room today, the email confirmation showed a $25 per day resort fee. (This was not mentioned when the reservation was made and simply showed up on the email confirmation.)

When I called concerning the additional charge, I was told that it did not apply to "group rates." However, I was also told there was nothing they can do about removing it from email confirmations. I was then told it "would not be charged upon check-out." Having stayed at Camelback many, many times over the past 12 years, and having "look no further guaranteed rates" challenged on checkout, I'm not comfortable with having an email confirmation showing the $25 daily resort fee. And then being told, "it won't be charged on check-out." However, our guests making reservations will not realize this is "not to be charged" when their confirmations show it as an add-on!

What is most interesting is that this resort offers free parking so there are no parking fees to apply towards the resort fee. In addition, the resort fee does not gain you access to the fitness equipment in the spa - that's another $20 per day charge. What it does give you is a free appetizer, free breakfast for children under 12 with a paid adult entree (which we have no children under 12), free tennis courts (which were always free during the hot Phoenix summers), unlimited golf balls at the driving range (of which we don't golf), and free local calls (which is a benefit of the Marriott rewards program). So go figure! In this case, a pure profit for this resort.

Right now, I have another reservation for August, however, I will be cancelling that room. When the resort fee is 25% of the actual room rate, something is wrong with this picture.

If anyone has had any luck in waiving this fee at Camelback, please let me know your magic words!

Cheers - and thank you -
Old Aug 28, 2009, 12:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Titanium Lifetime/UA/JetBlue
Resort Fees AGAIN

Just wondering if anyone else feels the same way about resort fees.

$25 dollars a day, but this is made up for by wonderful benefits!

Free Childrens Meals (I dont have kids!!)
Free Parking (Not driving!!)
Free local phone calls (dont know anyone locally!!)
Free use of swimming pools and sun beds (big deal.. I would expect that in the rate anyway!!)
Free Inernet (I am on holiday!!!)

So basically I am not getting anything (but questionably subsidising other peoples kids meals....... and other peoples car parking....

Not impressed ... if you want to rip me off then at least hide the costs in the basic rate. Do not tempt me with a cheaper rate and then lumber me with a rip off charge that insults my intelligence..... and my loyalty!

Is there anyway of "refusing" these wonderful benefits!!!! Or can I design my own benefits list that I would be prepared to pay for...

Free Drinks
Free Platinum Breakfast (even in a resort.....YAY!!!)
Free morning coffee!!!

A few years back I changed my loyalty from Sheraton to Marriott because of a similar charge in Hawaii... Sheraton charged, Marriott did not. Some time after I received a claims form because the charges were deemed illegal. I guess they have changed the law or something.....

Marriott, please listen.... get rid of these charges, or make them optional, then guests with kids can get a real benefit......
Old Aug 28, 2009, 1:27 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond
Did you ask the agent if the charges could be dropped as you wouldn't be using any of the benefits? I don't know if any Marriott hotels will drop the charges, but I do believe I have read in the Starwood forum that a lot of the hotels there that have these types of charges will drop it if requested and your willing to pay for the items individually.

And if the front desk agent says no or that they don't know, ask to speak with a manager. It can't hurt to ask and maybe you will get the charges dropped.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by markzz2
A few years back I changed my loyalty from Sheraton to Marriott because of a similar charge in Hawaii... Sheraton charged, Marriott did not. Some time after I received a claims form because the charges were deemed illegal. I guess they have changed the law or something.....
Nope, they are just enforcing the existing laws that require full disclosure of the resort fee during the reservation process. The charges were deemed illegal because years ago the fees were not disclosed until as late as checkout.

Marriott had a policy for years of not having resort fees, but unfortunately, resort fees are the crack cocaine of the hotel industry and especially in this severe recession I guess Marriott is trying to grab a few extra dollars when they can.

While not a guarantee, you greatly increase your odds of having resort fees rebated if you raise a stink at check-in and elevate to a manager and then to the GM if not satisfied. Even then, during the current economic downturn I'm guessing your success rate might be 50% or less.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 2:42 pm

I have it removed every time at the JW Marriott Camelback Inn. At check-in, I simply tell them I will not be needing these benefits. No problem at all.

Here's what the Camelback Inn does:

Daily resort fee includes the following amenities ($150 value)
*High speed internet and wireless internet in guest rooms (have my own aircard & mini + I'm on vacation)
*Unlimited local and domestic long distance calls (own a cell phone or 2)
*Use of the resort's recreational amenities including
-unlimited range balls for driving range, chipping, putting (no golf)
-use of Calloway golf clubs and shoes on driving range
-shuttle service from resort to golf course
-use of 5 lighted tennis courts (don't play tennis in AZ)
-complimentary two hour bicycle rental (based on availability) (don't bike in AZ)
*Complimentary breakfast, lunch or dinner for children 12/under
with each adult ordering off the regular menu (no kids and I'm 19 so can't do that one either)
*One complimentary dinner appetizer daily with purchase of equal
or greater value, per room, in either BLT Steak, Rita's Kitchen (no dinner at BLT)
or R-Bar
*15 percent off retail purchases in resort shop, spa shop and
golf pro shop (I make purchases outside hotel, and already have a discount with Marriott Gold anyway).

My Dad was staying at the IC Montelucia and they would not waive the resort fee for him even though he pleaded that he does not need internet and has never even turned on a computer- the truth )

At least the Marriott is willing to remove without any hassle. For now at least... I get to do it all over again in a few days and we'll see how that goes.

-Kinglobjaw
Old Aug 28, 2009, 4:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by kinglobjaw
I have it removed every time at the JW Marriott Camelback Inn. At check-in, I simply tell them I will not be needing these benefits. No problem at all.

*High speed internet and wireless internet in guest rooms (have my own aircard & mini + I'm on vacation)
-complimentary two hour bicycle rental (based on availability) (don't bike in AZ)
with each adult ordering off the regular menu (no kids and I'm 19 so can't do that one either)
or greater value, per room, in either BLT Steak, Rita's Kitchen (no dinner at BLT)
or R-Bar
golf pro shop (I make purchases outside hotel, and already have a discount with Marriott Gold anyway).

My Dad was staying at the IC Montelucia and they would not waive the resort fee for him even though he pleaded that he does not need internet and has never even turned on a computer- the truth )

At least the Marriott is willing to remove without any hassle. For now at least... I get to do it all over again in a few days and we'll see how that goes.

-Kinglobjaw
Fully agree with the original poster, that Marriott are just taking the mickey and trying to milk us of more revenue.

I am also very pleased to read your report that you do not pay the resort fee at the Camelback Inn because I am going back there in Dec and am very angry at the re-introduction of this "so called benefit". Like most people, I make my reservations online and so I have put a comment on my booking that i do NOT wish to pay the resort fee. If this is ignored, then I will make a fuss at checkin. I too am single (no kids), dont drive, dont want local calls (I'm a tourist and dont fancy chatting to the local Dominos just cos its free), dont play Golf etc etc.

I've also booked a rate of $319 a night which gives me $100 a night credit to b e spent in the resort (but not on the room bill), and therefore if i pay the $25 resort fee, my so called $100 suddenly reduces to $75.00 a night. What a con!
Old Aug 28, 2009, 7:27 pm

Does anybody know if there is a resort fee at the horseshoe bay near Austin and if it does have you been successful in getting it waived.

I am going there tomorrow and just happen to notice this thread.
Old Aug 29, 2009, 1:31 am

Programs: BA Blue, Marriott Plat Life, UA Silver (thx Marriott), IHG Gold, Accor Plat, Hilton Diamond
When staying at the Waliea Marriott on points the resort fee was optional. I politely declined. Never stayed at a resort for cash so can't comment on if you have to pay it when not on points.
Old Aug 29, 2009, 4:29 am

Originally Posted by kinglobjaw

or R-Bar

-Kinglobjaw
Thanks for that.... Camelback is one of the places I have booked so will try and refuse the offer of all those unwanted benefits.

Best Wishes
Old Aug 29, 2009, 5:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
is there a list of MR props that have resort fees, the amount and what they include?
Old Aug 30, 2009, 9:20 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, United Premier Exec, American Platinum
I've been successful ~60% of the time in getting resort fees dropped by requesting it at the time of the reservation through the Platinum reservation desk. They passed the request on to the property.
Old Aug 30, 2009, 9:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by toothy
When staying at the Waliea Marriott on points the resort fee was optional. I politely declined. Never stayed at a resort for cash so can't comment on if you have to pay it when not on points.
That's the way it should be done. "Resort fee" packages can be valuable to some guests, but they shouldn't be forced on everyone.

For example, I'd actually consider buying that Camelback package for a day or two if I could actually demo the year's newest Calloways. That's an interesting add-on I haven't seen before.
Old Aug 31, 2009, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by markzz2
Just wondering if anyone else feels the same way about resort fees.

$25 dollars a day, but this is made up for by wonderful benefits!

Free Childrens Meals (I dont have kids!!)
Free Parking (Not driving!!)
Free local phone calls (dont know anyone locally!!)
Free use of swimming pools and sun beds (big deal.. I would expect that in the rate anyway!!)
Free Inernet (I am on holiday!!!)

So basically I am not getting anything (but questionably subsidising other peoples kids meals....... and other peoples car parking....

Not impressed ... if you want to rip me off then at least hide the costs in the basic rate. Do not tempt me with a cheaper rate and then lumber me with a rip off charge that insults my intelligence..... and my loyalty!

Is there anyway of "refusing" these wonderful benefits!!!! Or can I design my own benefits list that I would be prepared to pay for...

Free Drinks
Free Platinum Breakfast (even in a resort.....YAY!!!)
Free morning coffee!!!

Marriott, please listen.... get rid of these charges, or make them optional, then guests with kids can get a real benefit......
Help me out here, please. Were the resort fees not disclosed in the reservation process? If they weren't, there's no reason you should be paying them.

Mike
Old Aug 31, 2009, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by mikeef
Help me out here, please. Were the resort fees not disclosed in the reservation process? If they weren't, there's no reason you should be paying them.

Mike
They are mentioned at the end of the reservation process....

But my point is that they are advertised as benefits.....

They are not benefits to me, I pay for them, but do not use them, so how is that a benefit.

Thanks for everyones comments, I will try and refuse the "benefits" when I check min to the relevant hotels. Camelback Inn is one of them.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.