Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Resort fees, destination fees and associated issues (points, waivers, etc.)

Old Jun 22, 2019, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dgreen12
A reminder that the Bonvoy program terms & conditions (section 1.3.c.v) provide:

Participating Properties that have mandatory resort charges, which include internet access, will provide a replacement benefit, to be determined at each Participating Property's discretion.
Print Wikipost

Resort fees, destination fees and associated issues (points, waivers, etc.)

Old Apr 12, 2009, 2:54 pm

Programs: DL DM 4.7 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium AA CK
Ditto here

Originally Posted by MemphisQueen
Ditto for me - never paid taxes on an award stay and I've stayed at some of the resort properties as well

Paid nothing at St. Kitts this year
Old May 25, 2009, 9:08 pm

Resort Fee of $25 a night at Marriott?

I was booking a 1 night stay next April at the JW Desert Ridge in Phoenix and noticed they now charge a $25 'Resort Fee' ... something I certainly wouldn't benefit from on a 1 night stay and probably not if I stayed longer. I assume this applies only at Marriotts that have 'Resort' in their official name ... as I checked Camelback Inn and it also charges. But other Marriotts do not.

This seems a real rip-off and I thought a few years back Marriott stopped that practice due to some legal problems. When did it sneak back in? Is the only solution to book somewhere else?

Added: Also checked if they charge the Resort Fee on MR stays and found there were no days available next April for MR stays at all. So much for the new plan.

Here is some info on the Resort Fee lawsuit Marriott lost a few years ago:

http://www.lawcash.com/attorney/2538...al-lawsuit.asp

Last edited by pwrshift; May 25, 2009 at 9:35 pm
Old May 26, 2009, 7:10 am

Programs: Continental Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz President's Circle, AVIS Pres Club
My family just got back yesterday from the same JW Desert Ridge. We were there for 5 nights. The Resort fee covers a variety of things for your $25 per day: Free kids meals each day (breakfast, lunch, dinner), free high-speed Internet and long distance calls, reduced valet parking rate ($15 instead of $25 per night), access to the health club, etc.

With the $10 reduction in parking and the free Internet ($13 per day), you might get your money's worth for the single day, but I understand why you wouldn't want to pay it for the single night.

All that said, we were given the option of selecting to pay the Resort Fee or not when we checked in. For us, with the extended stay and our kids in tow, it was an easy decision to pay the daily fee. But, I would hope they'd give you the option NOT to pay the fee if it didn't make sense for you. It was clearly presented to us as an option and not mandatory.

Hope this helps...
Old May 26, 2009, 7:38 am
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy

Programs: UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
Different Story at Marriott on Maui

Our optional resort fee at the Marriott Resort at Wailea did not give us internet. Did not cover kids breakfast but did cover parking at $15 per day. The other savings were on hotel activies and spa stuff. We passed without issue.
Old May 26, 2009, 8:04 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Titanium Lifetime/UA/JetBlue
Oh not this again!

A few years ago they introduced this fee at some resorts. It covers ancilliaries like cookies by the pool, cheap parking and sun beds! (what a cheek!)

In the end i thought that Marriott was taken to court about ikt and I received a claims form to get all the fees back.....
Old May 26, 2009, 5:01 pm

Here's the legal link ...

http://www.lawcash.com/attorney/2538...al-lawsuit.asp
Old May 27, 2009, 5:01 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Titanium Lifetime/UA/JetBlue
Originally Posted by pwrshift

Nice one!

I will be directing the hotels to this site when they try and charge me a "resort fee"
Old May 27, 2009, 5:39 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by markzz2
Oh not this again!

A few years ago they introduced this fee at some resorts. It covers ancilliaries like cookies by the pool, cheap parking and sun beds! (what a cheek!)

In the end i thought that Marriott was taken to court about ikt and I received a claims form to get all the fees back.....
Originally Posted by markzz2
Nice one!

I will be directing the hotels to this site when they try and charge me a "resort fee"

IANAL but to my untrained eye it seems the reason that Marriott was sued was that they were not fully disclosing the resort fees up front. Lately it seems that the fees are very clearly stated when you make the reservation. I don't think that mentioning this previous lawsuit is going to make any difference, and my take is that it shouldn't. I don't like resort fees any more than the next person, but the previous suit isn't going to help us here.
Old May 27, 2009, 6:10 am

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by janger
All that said, we were given the option of selecting to pay the Resort Fee or not when we checked in. For us, with the extended stay and our kids in tow, it was an easy decision to pay the daily fee. But, I would hope they'd give you the option NOT to pay the fee if it didn't make sense for you. It was clearly presented to us as an option and not mandatory.
+1 - we were there in April, were presented option for resort fee, politely declined. No hard sell.
Old May 28, 2009, 3:10 pm

Programs: UA Gold, MR Plat (life gold), SPG Gold
I made a reservation at the JW Desert Springs Resort a couple months ago. Not until the last portion of booking via the web was the resort fee disclosed.

I called the hotel to check on whether this was mandatory and let them know I was not interested in paying the fee. They indicated it was for parking (used to be free at the hotel), Internet (I have an aircard), Fitness Center (also used to be free and expected when I am staying at a hotel), and that it was not optional.

I thanked them, cancelled the reservation, and stayed at a hotel that did not charge this extra fee for services I expect of a hotel.
Old May 28, 2009, 10:35 pm

I didn't bother doing the math originally but it's somewhat deceiving how they list the resort fee as a single line item of $25 but it's never specified that it's per night unless you add up the room charge, taxes and compare it to the total which now reflects the $25 per day resort fee.

Last edited by Lurker1999; May 28, 2009 at 11:15 pm
Old May 29, 2009, 7:54 am

These charges for items formerly included in the room prices is very much like airlines charging for services that used to be included. It didn't help the airline fortunes and won't help Marriott either as their customers aren't fools.

Originally Posted by Tiojelly
I made a reservation at the JW Desert Springs Resort a couple months ago. Not until the last portion of booking via the web was the resort fee disclosed.

I called the hotel to check on whether this was mandatory and let them know I was not interested in paying the fee. They indicated it was for parking (used to be free at the hotel), Internet (I have an aircard), Fitness Center (also used to be free and expected when I am staying at a hotel), and that it was not optional.

I thanked them, cancelled the reservation, and stayed at a hotel that did not charge this extra fee for services I expect of a hotel.
Old May 30, 2009, 5:40 am

I had made reservations for the Camelback Inn months ago. At that time no resort fee was indicated. It does not appear on my email confirmation. However, when I view my reservation online it does now show the $25 fee with this note "Changes in taxes or fees implemented after booking will affect the total room price." I can understand taxes, but fees that they impose seems very unfair. This note does not appear on my email confirmation. What do you think the chances are of getting this fee waived?
Old May 30, 2009, 2:09 pm

Probably none. I debated staying elsewhere due to the resort fee on my upcoming reservation but the cost of the rental car and parking would outweigh the cost of the resort fee so monetarily it doesn't make sense to me.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 7:37 pm

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
When I tried to use my points, I was offered a room with lounge access at the Amsterdam Marriott for 30k points and 65 euros surcharge per night. So I guess the $25/night resort fee is a steal.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.