Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Resort fees, destination fees and associated issues (points, waivers, etc.)

Old Jun 22, 2019, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dgreen12
A reminder that the Bonvoy program terms & conditions (section 1.3.c.v) provide:

Participating Properties that have mandatory resort charges, which include internet access, will provide a replacement benefit, to be determined at each Participating Property's discretion.
Print Wikipost

Resort fees, destination fees and associated issues (points, waivers, etc.)

Old Jul 19, 2008, 10:21 am

Programs: BA Blue.
The receipt I was sent out shows the details

Estimated government taxes and fees 9.01
Total for stay for (all rooms) 576.92

If I go online - it now shows

Resort fee
Estimated government taxes and fees
Total for stay (per room)

Even the cancellation fee has changed

before

You may cancel your reservation for no charge until arrival date (7 day[s] before arrival).
Please note that we will assess a fee of 82.42 USD if you must cancel after this deadline.

after

Rate Rules:
Canceling Your Reservation
You may cancel your reservation for no charge until arrival date (7 day[s] before arrival).Please note that we will assess a fee of 110.48 USD if you must cancel after this deadline. If you have made a prepayment, we will retain all or part of your prepayment. If not, we will charge your credit card. This fee equals 1 night of your room charge plus tax (for the first night of your reservation).

It is a new thing to charge a resort fee at this hotel - I am trying to ascertain when it was brought in.

Would you suggest telling them i have an "issue" now or when I check in - or when I check out and get the bill?
Old Jul 19, 2008, 1:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I certainly wouldn't wait until check out. I'd probably try to get it sorted out now. Also, are they legally allowed to add fees & change cancels after the original reservation/confirmation? I'd fight this one (but keep in mind if you stay there next you you then would know the policy). You might want to email or PM the Marriott concierge to see if Marie/Ira/Drew can help.

Cheers.
Old Jul 19, 2008, 2:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
1st I think there is sufficient grounds to cx penalty free if you choose too

if you want to stay there and pay the fee, then I'd just go there and fight it tooth and nail

if you only want ot stay there if you do not have to pay I'd settle it up front but I'd also fight it tooth and nail still
Old Jan 17, 2009, 1:31 pm

Programs: Alaska LTG, HHonors-Gld, IHG-Dia, LT MR Ti
Reward stays include resort fee?

I booked a 7 night stay at Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa right in the nick of time (thanks to FT) for 150,000 points. Not bad because the best rate I can find (M11) is $289 (reg $385, AAA $327). Of course the new 'enhanced' MR program has the same 7 night stay is now 210,000 points. But I digress.

At any rate, does anyone know if I will have to pay the $25/day resort fee on a rewards stay? Do incidentals room charges qualify for points on a reward stay? They do at Hilton.

Thanks
Old Jan 17, 2009, 4:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
IIRC (we were here in September), the $25 a day covers parking, internet, and a bunch of other "ticky tack" charges. We paid it because it was better than paying all of the charges separately.

I think the charge was optional, but again that's only going by my memory.

Last edited by Cargojon; Jan 17, 2009 at 8:30 pm
Old Jan 17, 2009, 7:56 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Platinum, National Executive Elite
A reward stay does not cover these fees but they are optional at this property. Enjoy your stay, nice choice!
Old Jan 17, 2009, 10:21 pm

Programs: Alaska LTG, HHonors-Gld, IHG-Dia, LT MR Ti
I stayed there last year and really liked the property.

As I recall the resort fee was mandatory.

Now checking my reservation closer here's what it says

Hotel Reward: Seven nights, Category Seven Hotel 1 150,000
* Using your points will cover your room charge and tax, and no additional service charges or resort fees will be applied.
* On-site parking, fee: 15 USD daily
* Valet parking, fee: 18 USD daily

I might be covered

Anyone know about room charges? Eligible for MR points? I don't see why not.
Old Jan 18, 2009, 2:54 am

Programs: BA Blue, Marriott Plat Life, UA Silver (thx Marriott), IHG Gold, Accor Plat, Hilton Diamond
We stayed there in September. If you are staying on points, the resort fee was optional. We chose not to pay it. There is another thread on here somewhere detailing what you do get with it.
Old Jan 18, 2009, 7:30 am

Programs: Continental Plat/MM, Marriott Gold
It was optional for our point stay last August. We didn't take it as it seemed to be a waste of money. Just be careful on the room given to you. We were offered this and a room upgrade, declined both and got one of the worst rooms in the house overlooking a storage area. Although we ultimately found there were other rooms available, according to the hotel manager the rooms available on points aren't in the best of locations due to the way the resort is layed out. We got this worked out the next day and had a great time. It sure seemed like it was related to declining but who knows. I tend to think I'm correct given the response to my letter sent to Marriott and the hotel after we got home.
See the previous posts on the resort activities that are sold by the concierge and a private company (Expedia) on property. It's kind of a strange arrangement but the concierge is happy to offer better activities at a lower cost in addition to those offered Expedia. We used the concierge and were quite happy with their recommendations.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 2:52 am

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
Are resort fees and taxes covered on a points stay?

I am trying to make reservations at the Aruba Stellaris Resort.

When looking at points values, there is a notation that says "Please note: Point values apply to room only".

Is this referring to items such as standard resort fees and taxes OR only to items such as meals and incidentals?

TIA
Old Apr 12, 2009, 3:29 am

Programs: BA Blue, Marriott Plat Life, UA Silver (thx Marriott), IHG Gold, Accor Plat, Hilton Diamond
I believe it is talking about meals and incidentals. When we stayed in Maui we didn't have to pay the resort fee or taxes.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Since taxes typically are charged as a % of the bill, you could argue that either they are covered or you're charged a % of $0, which is still $0. I think in some locations I have been charged the flat fee that the local government has applied.

Resort fees seem to be hit or miss - often charged on awards.

In Aruba specifically, I don't think I was charged anything last summer.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 7:57 am

I've never paid taxes on any award stay.

Bobette
Old Apr 12, 2009, 12:58 pm

Programs: MR Lifetime Titanium, United Silver
Ditto for me - never paid taxes on an award stay and I've stayed at some of the resort properties as well
Old Apr 12, 2009, 1:06 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, United, Delta ex-status
There was a similar recent thread on the Hyatt board, and I believe in the distant past on the Marriott board. The answer is usually they are included, but it is not a given. Hotel option on resort and misc. fees and local government option on taxes. Not to deliberately contradict the prior answer, but I would have said we paid some decreased level of fees at the Maui property last year.

If its a trip breaker contact the hotel, and even if they say yes be able to pay if required. The person you speak to may or may not really know, and it can change by the time you arrive. More often than not I haven't paid, but at times I have been asked to (most recently at a hotel in Florida that changed its policy between my last two annual visits).

Last edited by jayer; Apr 12, 2009 at 4:06 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.