Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Resort fees, destination fees and associated issues (points, waivers, etc.)

Old Jun 22, 2019, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dgreen12
A reminder that the Bonvoy program terms & conditions (section 1.3.c.v) provide:

Participating Properties that have mandatory resort charges, which include internet access, will provide a replacement benefit, to be determined at each Participating Property's discretion.
Print Wikipost

Resort fees, destination fees and associated issues (points, waivers, etc.)

Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:23 pm

Programs: AS MVPG MR Platinum Prem
Originally Posted by dw
YES, for three reasons:

1) I don't believe we earn points on the resort fees, whereas we would if it were included in the base room rate

2) Corporate discounts don't get applied to the resort fees

3) We still have to pay the resort fees on award stays

Of course, the properties are well aware of this. These "resort fees" are basically the hotel equivalent of airline YQs (fuel surcharges)
+1 especially #3 because it amounts to a further devaluation of points.

Also don't forget to circle back to the original comments from the start of this thread that we are now increasingly being charged for things that are free for elites at a non-resort.

Originally Posted by BKKLEE
since these "resort" fees seem to be hotel generated, why are you holding Marriott responsible for individual hotel gouging tactics???????
Is this a serious question? These policies (among others) are contributing to those of us who are questioning our loyalty to the entire Marriott brand. You are really saying that Marriott has no power to prohibit their resorts from forcing extra mandatory fees upon their guests and/or should have no responsibility for an individual hotel under their brand's actions?

Further Marriott at least partially decides whether a hotel is a resort or not, which in turn dictates that some of our elite benefits are not available as determined by the Marriott Rewards program.

If you feel so strongly that our issues with these policies are our problems and not related at all to the Marriott experience, maybe you could actually contribute to the conversation and attempt to change our minds about the points we are raising instead of attacking people.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 1:02 pm

BTW, I'm being serious... I would love for someone to be able to put a fresh perspective on this discussion that makes me think its not a semi-sleazy way to further reduce the benefits of Marriott loyalty. BKKLEE just seems to be the only one who disagrees with this thread.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 1:27 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by hrdjeepzj
BTW, I'm being serious... I would love for someone to be able to put a fresh perspective on this discussion that makes me think its not a semi-sleazy way to further reduce the benefits of Marriott loyalty.
There is no fresh perspective because there is no upside to the consumer from these resort fees; just as there is no upside to the consumer from airline YQ/fuel surcharges.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by dw
There is no fresh perspective because there is no upside to the consumer from these resort fees; just as there is no upside to the consumer from airline YQ/fuel surcharges.
Agree there is nothing good to be had, just partly attempting to avoid encouraging certain posters.

I'm very close to dumping MR though, so trying to come up with anything that might help me hang on

For me though, the resort fees are way worse than fuel surcharges, and I liken them more to fees for baggage, seat selection etc... as things that really are part of the experience and often include benefits that used to be earned through loyalty.

At least the fuel surcharges are accounted for upfront when I book the ticket. Most of the resort fee nonsense is pushed off until the actual stay and entirely obfuscated at booking time (most likely purposefully); like when I try to book a MR night and the search says "resort fee applies see rate rules" and the rate rules don't have any mention of the resort fee, and even a call to platinum res line couldn't explain what was included or how much (I forget which hotel)
Old Feb 15, 2013, 4:11 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
I seem to recall some sort of class action suit settlement regarding those nightly "energy" surcharges in vogue back around 2000 (as someone pointed out earlier). Notice you don't see them anymore. Maybe we need something similar.

If the FTC can force airlines to advertise the cost of fares upfront like they did 6 months ago, why not extend to everything in the travel industry?
Old Feb 15, 2013, 7:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
let's get this straight.............I do not agree with the imposition of these extra fees, but what I do totally disagree with is jr's contention(s) that:
(1) Marriott is engaged in deceptive trade practices by not requiring all resorts to include the word resort in their website name since Marriott does not name these hotels, but the owners do (look I've argued the point about AC hotels either being AutoCol or AC by Marriotts rather confusing too but no ones changing the hotel names here either). Further, I've pointed out that Marriott has a website that provides a full and complete list of props that are considered resorts - those using & not using the term resort - so due to full disclosure there is no deceptive trade practice (but jr argues NO ONE in the world ever looks at this site even though it's published); and
(2) jr contends that Marriott has the power to force those props charging resort fees to waive them or completely drop them - since these resort fees are not imposed by Marriott they cannot force these props to CXL these fees just to please folks like jr.............next jr will argue that Marriott can force props to waive taxes imposed by gov't, state and city as these are add ons - just ludicrous (I expect jr to also demand all airlines not impose fuel sucharges to as these are imposed on flights whether as paid or reward tickets as he already stated that "free" night awards should not have resort fees charged - good luck on both - you can bang your head against the wall in your little temper tantrums all day long and it won't get you anywhere).

Do I like these extra fees - no, but I also have a choice of not accepting them by not staying at props that impose them. You can speak louder with your wallet then recent hissy fits here which will get one absolutely no where as there is no merit to jr's position(s).

-
Originally Posted by hrdjeepzj
BTW, I'm being serious... I would love for someone to be able to put a fresh perspective on this discussion that makes me think its not a semi-sleazy way to further reduce the benefits of Marriott loyalty. BKKLEE just seems to be the only one who disagrees with this thread.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 9:19 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, United Gold, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hyatt Globalist, National EE
To those tirelessly complaining about the resort fees, have you ever simply asked at the elite desk that they waive the resort fee? I've never paid a resort fee while being PP. Never hurts to ask...
Old Feb 16, 2013, 6:18 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold,Hyatt Diamond
Competitor Hilton has started to implement Resort Fees at more and more properties as well. It is a way to circumvent the freebies given to elites. I have asked for the resort fees to be waived and was declined (Orlando).

Last edited by kmwjes; Feb 16, 2013 at 6:24 pm
Old Feb 17, 2013, 1:16 am

Programs: Amtrak Select Executive, Hertz PC, National EE, IC Diamond Ambassador, ALL Gold, Hyatt Disc
Resort Fees at resorts makes sense if you are paying for the facilities that are offered to guests. A resort fee at a hotel would seem a bit over the top depending on the situation. Though as long as the fee is being used to maintain specific ammenities then I would believe them to be fair game.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 8:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by roadman3313
Resort Fees at resorts makes sense if you are paying for the facilities that are offered to guests. A resort fee at a hotel would seem a bit over the top depending on the situation. Though as long as the fee is being used to maintain specific ammenities then I would believe them to be fair game.
But if I don't use that amenity, I shouldn't have to pay the fee. If the intent of the resort fee is to maintain, say, the spa, then charge it to the people who use the spa.

And what's the difference between a "resort" and a "hotel"? Specifically, technically...what is the exact difference?
Old Feb 18, 2013, 7:06 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Executive, Hertz PC, National EE, IC Diamond Ambassador, ALL Gold, Hyatt Disc
To be honest I don't use any spas, gyms, fitness centers, or the like at a hotel. Don't use a pool either. All I really do use is the internet and potentially breakfast.

I am probably just to resigned that hotels and resorts are going to charge whatever they are going to charge anyway. Unless there is a mass boycott that actually affects business (which I don't see happening) I feel that fees are going to just become another norm of the industry.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 7:14 pm

Programs: Lifetime Plat Marriott
Scrub Island....

Originally Posted by jr1202sr
.....Scrubb Island Charges $25 per person per Night......
Very true. Just cancelled an award reservation at Scrub Island.

It said, "$600 Resort Fee." It really rubbed us the wrong way. Add it to the price!
Made reservations for Lima and Cusco instead.

I can't stand resort fees.

:/
Old Feb 19, 2013, 7:13 am

Programs: UA PP/Marriott Platinum Elite/Hyatt Diamond/Avis Preferred/Hertz Presidential
It's like Best Buy making you a pay for touchy/feely without buying the item. We need to charge all our customers a touchy/feely fee to improve your customer experience. That's what I call the cost of doing business.

If you buy the item, then there is a cashier fee, stocking fee, signage fee, energy fee, parking at our store fee, making our associate go to the back room and bring out the item fee. At some point, you lump it all into the price and call it the cost. This is what this item 'cost', not what this item is worth. Huge difference.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 9:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by roadman3313
To be honest I don't use any spas, gyms, fitness centers, or the like at a hotel. Don't use a pool either. All I really do use is the internet and potentially breakfast.

I am probably just to resigned that hotels and resorts are going to charge whatever they are going to charge anyway. Unless there is a mass boycott that actually affects business (which I don't see happening) I feel that fees are going to just become another norm of the industry.
Hotels should be able to charge whatever they like. This isn't about putting price caps on them or otherwise interfere with the supply and demand for their product.

But they should not be able to add the mandatory fees later. They should be required to provide full disclosure in the total price shown on the initial search result screen.

This is not government overreach or some sort of impediment to capitalism. In fact, it protects both consumers and ethical hoteliers against fraudsters who seek to take business precisely by providing a bait-and-switch and false alternative to the actual supply and demand market that exists at the time.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 5:42 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
I was told recently by Marriott Rewards that we don't get points credit for Resort Fees we pay (a substantial sum for a week in Hawaii). Is this correct? Doesn't make sense to me, but I see above that RC has such a practice.

Don't like the semi-opaque nature of Resort Fee charges (i.e., they don't show up in the advertised rate although at least on Marriott.com they do disclose them on the payment page - thumbs up for that.)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.