Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott-family hotels in Bangkok, Thailand, pre-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott-family hotels in Bangkok, Thailand, pre-2014

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2002, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
I've stayed at both hotels more than once. The one on the river is better for a vacation, in my opinion. The only drawback is that everything interesting is on the other side, so you have to take the hotel's boat back and forth. (Or a taxi, but the boat is much more convenient and free.)

Bruce
Old Aug 16, 2002, 9:33 am

Programs: UA 1K 3MM Lifetime, AA PlatPro,Marriott Titanium Elite Lifetime, Hyatt Globalist
The Riverside feels more like a vacation resort. The property is more spreadout, outdoor pool beside the river, outdoor restaurant and bar (sometimes the river smell might not be pleasant). As a Platinum I was upgraded to a larger room. Choice of club lounge or overwhemling breakfast buffet in the cafe. Drawback is the transportation time across the river - you'll need to plan your day in advance so you won't need to return to the hotel in mid-day. Estimate 30 minutes each way waiting and riding the boat. The JW is a more formal business hotel in the heart of the city. Platinums upgrade to club floor but I didn't really notice a difference between club and non-club rooms - both are high quality. Smaller pool, nice lounge and buffet option, congested streets outside, lots of restaurants in the area, convenience of the skytrain outside the door.

You may want to split your stay if you are in BKK for several days. The resort to relax and the JW for sightseeing.
Old Aug 16, 2002, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Does the Skytrain go to the airport yet? I haven't been there since it started running.

Bruce
Old Aug 16, 2002, 3:55 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by bdschobel:
Does the Skytrain go to the airport yet? </font>
as of three months ago it was not.
Old Aug 16, 2002, 10:16 pm

Programs: United 1K MM - 1.7M actually, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hertz Gold
I am soooo proud of myself. Now that I have one International trip under my belt, I can comment on a Marriott in BKK, and not just Marriotts (Fairfields) in Coralville, IA; Madison, WI; and Newark, NJ, as I have done with previous posts.

We stayed at the Riverside Marriott on the river and not at the one downtown.

The breakfast buffet is awesome. We didn't try the dinner buffet because it was so hot (we were there for a food convention in late May).

The water taxi takes you to the skytrain and it is a free service. There are all sorts of taxi services operating on the river.

The Skytrain takes you all around downtown, and stops a few blocks from the Hard Rock Cafe.

The spa is wonderful.

They have a fleet of Mercedes Benz cars with women drivers that operate as a chaffeur service...we took advantage of that service several times.

The only drawback -- they charged $2 for access to the phone to make toll free calls to the US. That wasn't disclosed anywhere and I racked up big time charges. They are also remodeling and it was very noisy, although hopefully the remodeling will be done by December.

All told, a very nice property.
Old Aug 17, 2002, 3:59 pm

Programs: AA Plat; HH Gold; Marriott Silver; UCLA Fan
Stayed at the JW 2˝ years ago, and still praise it when these threads come up. It was probably the nicest "vertical" hotel I've stayed at. Everything inside very upscale. The pool/gym/sauna on the 6th floor was very large and the pool was far away from the street to avoid the noise. Large, clean rooms. Right on Sukhumvit which is a good walking street with the Skytrain going right down the middle of it. Although I didn't stay at the river location, it seems too far away from everything to make it my first choice. Try it, you'll like it.
Old Aug 17, 2002, 4:32 pm

Programs: UA/CO-1KPlat, MARRIOTT-LT PLAT
What are they remodeling at the Bangkok Marriot Resort on the river?

The one thing needing some enhancements are the baths. Showers with curtain always get the marble floors wet no matter how hard you try to position the curtain.
Old Aug 17, 2002, 7:11 pm

When we checked in, they asked us if we would mind "a little noise" -- what a joke.

We stayed at the "other wing" of the hotel -- not where you check in, but the part that you have to walk to get to.

The room above us was having new carpeting installed -- that was a "little noise." They were also completely redoing the bathrooms.

Old Aug 18, 2002, 3:35 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
having had multiple stays at both hotels:
* if you stay more than 3-4 nights (as a tourist), split your stay between both hotels
* the JW is (for arrivals/departures) very conveniently located with direct motorway access (to/from the airport). The Skyway train is not going to the airport, and is not planned so either in the near future)
* for children the Riverside location (offering real and full Resort facilities) is best
* stays at both locations NEVER did post automatically to my Rewards account (NEVER!).
Old Aug 22, 2002, 5:12 pm

Programs: Northwest-millionair; Marriott, lifetime gold
Just returned from a stay at the Riverside. It is my favorite hotel.... a magnificent urban resort, beautiful gardens, outstanding food and wide choice of restaurants. With the free shuttle to the skytrain, downtown is not far at all. This month, there was little difference between the regular rate and the "club floor" rate, with breakfast ( $15 additional for club plan and breakfast). I recommend the club plan... concierge lounge has excellent service, good apetizers, free drinks every afternoon. The breakfast buffet in the main dining room (The Market) is the best, however, Remarkable variety of Thai, Japanese, Chinese and western breakfast foods and fruits.
Old Aug 22, 2002, 7:53 pm

concierge lounge? I must have missed that..

where is that located?
Old Aug 23, 2002, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Me, too. Usually "resorts" don't have Concierge floors or lounges (although consistency is not Marriott's strongest suit!).

Bruce
Old Aug 25, 2002, 11:28 am

Programs: Plat Marriott, GM Delta, 1K United
Lounge used to be in one of the towers, then moved to lobby (last November). Not sure where it may be now. Great breakfast and snacks.
Old Aug 25, 2002, 7:28 pm

Well, I will be back in BKK next May (again) so we have 9 months to find out where the concierge lounge is :-)
Old Aug 25, 2002, 10:28 pm

Programs: Lifetime Marriott Platinum,AA Lifetime Gold,Hyatt SPG Platinum,UAL Lifetime Platinum,
It is on the lobby floor lounge located behind the spiral staircase leading downstairs

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.