Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Canadian Offer - Marriott® Rewards Premier Visa Card

Old Nov 18, 2014, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: imverge
** On or before May 30th, 2018** - ALL Chase Marriott cardholders that held the card as of March 15th, 2018, will receive:
  • 1 Night Stay Certificate for a Category 1-5 Marriott Hotel
  • 15 Night Stay Credit towards elite status

** CHASE HAS CLOSED ACCOUNTS AS OF MARCH 15, 2018 **

By now you should have been notified that your Marriott Rewards® Visa® Credit Card will be closing on March 15, 2018. Here's what you need to know:

• CONTINUE EARNING.
You will still be able to continue to use your Marriott Rewards Visa Credit Card and earn points on eligible purchases through March 14, 2018. After that date, you will no longer be able to make purchases or earn points on your Marriott Rewards Visa Credit Card.

• USE YOUR POINTS.
This does not impact your Marriott Rewards account. You will still be able to access and use any points and benefits that you have earned.

If you have paid an annual fee for your card any time between April 2017 and December 2017, Chase Canada has said that they will give you a prorated rebate of the fee back as a statement credit on your account.

If, however, your annual renewal fee is due between January 2018 and March 2018, you will NOT have to pay it. You may continue to use your card until March 15, 2018

As a cardholder, you will still receive your 15 Elite Night Credits and Free Night Certificate, regardless of your anniversary date. They will be deposited into your Marriott Rewards account after March 14, 2018.

Existing Chase Marriott Visa cardholders will be given a special signup to the Amex SPG CC for 25,000 welcome points and $120/yr annual fee.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Information below is left here for reference only, so that others who applied before the deadline can refer to the info.

If you find a working application link buried in this thread and apply through it don't be surprised if you do not get the advertised welcome bonuses.

Marriott 50,000 points offer, FYF
See this link: https://www.marriottpremier.ca/?arv=...NUM=VMR1207059 (Aug 24, 2017)
(http://www.marriottrewards.com/cdnelitedm web certificate expired, from Feb 2017)
-------------------
  • EARN 50,000 BONUS POINTS AFTER YOUR FIRST CARD PURCHASE
    Earn 50,000 bonus points after your first card purchase that you can redeem for 6 Free Nights at a Category 1 hotel.
  • NO FOREIGN CURRENCY TRANSACTION CHARGES (2.5%)
    Only the exchange rate will apply
  • ANNIVERSARY FREE NIGHT STAY
    E-certificate valid for 12 months at a participating category 1-5 hotel after your account anniversary date
  • 5 POINTS PER $1 SPENT
    At participating marriott locations worldwide. NEW! now earn 5x points at participating SPG hotels
  • 2 POINTS PER $1 SPENT
    On airline tickets purchased directly with the airline and at car rental agencies and restaurants (note: this card does NOT provide flight coverages)
  • 1 POINT PER $1 SPENT
    On purchases anywhere else the marriott rewards premier visa card is accepted
  • RECEIVE 15 ELITE CREDITS TOWARDS YOUR MARRIOTT REWARDS ELITE MEMBERSHIP LEVEL
    Upon approval and every year after your account anniversary
  • THE ANNUAL FEE OF $120 IS WAIVED FOR THE FIRST YEAR
    It will be charged annually thereafter (whether activated or not) on your statement anniversary
  • Free night stay e-certificate Category 1-4 hotels upon approval for first-time Cardmembers - is NO LONGER OFFERED, as of October 1st, 2016

Tips:
  • Go to marriott.com and apply for a Marriott Rewards account first, and have the member/account number ready during application. If you did NOT do this then Chase will create an account for you - look for the numbers on the lower left of your new Visa card, it may be displayed there.
  • Spend at least $1 on your new card by the 9th of the month, so that the txn posts by the 11th onto your online account at Chase (https://online.chasecanada.ca).
  • Seemingly, all Canadian Chase Marriott Visa accounts cycle on the 11th of the month. Points are posted by Chase to Marriott.com and the 50K points will appear by the 18th or 19th of the month.
  • You will see the points posted on page 3 of your paper statement when it arrives in the postal mail. Chase does not provide Canadians with an online PDF statement, only transactions. If by the 19th you don't see points posted, double-check the Marriott Rewards number on your paper statement to ensure it matches your true account number, in case Chase messed up and created a new MR account on your behalf.
  • When setting up payment for the card at online banking, look for "MARRIOTT VISA" as the card name.
  • If using this card outside of Canada, ensure you prime the PIN onto the card at a CHIP/PIN terminal while IN Canada, before you leave for your trip. You cannot prime the card while in Europe (for eg.)
  • YMMV, but if you decide to cancel this card, it is advisable to do it WELL before the anniversary date, as Chase may not pro-rate a refund.
  • If you plan to use this card outside of Canada (no FX fees), you should call Chase to let them know, so your card won't get locked. I've never called when using it on extended travel in the US, but for sure I would call and let them know if I was going to use it elsewhere (Europe, Asia, Antarctica).
  • If you log out of MARRIOTT.COM and notice an 80,000 point offer, it is a USA-only offer.
  • You can find List of Marriott Hotels and their Categories via below searches
    http://www.marriott.com/rewards/poin...dType=Standard
    http://www.marriott.com/hotel-search.mi
  • 2017 Marriott Rewards Category/Tier Update: On March 7, 2017, 23% of our hotels and resorts will change category.
    http://www.marriott.com/marriott-rew...gory-update.mi
Print Wikipost

Canadian Offer - Marriott® Rewards Premier Visa Card

Old Dec 18, 2014, 11:29 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by alc
sorry, should have explain myself better.

- Oct 2012, applied via 50K link, got sign-up free-night and 15 nights counted for 2012 status qualification
- Oct 2013, I cancel the card, but I still got the free nights added to the account after I cancel.
- Oct 2014, applied via 30K link. A few days after I was approved (over the phone), I got the 15 nights added for toward for this year status qualification.

1st statement haven't generated yet, hence not sure if I will get FYF and the 30K. I haven't got my free night yet, but concern if I called, it will trigger them to "look into" my account.

Originally Posted by Finkface
Quote:
Kind of exactly the same timeline for me. I only reapplied because I was going to Asia and wanted a forex-free card (wouldn't have cancelled it if I had given it more thought). It arrived after I had left so I don't need it anymore. But if I can get the FYF, I'll keep it another year. I have US Chase cards for the no forex part so I don't really care if I have this one or not. Looking for the same advice as the OP.
Well, an interesting development today. To recap, I got the 50K bonus last year, in October. Cancelled the card this year in October as I didn't want to pay the AF. The anniversary cert was deposited in my account the same day I cancelled, which I promptly used

I realized I needed a Canadian no-forex fee card so I submitted a new app using the 50k link about a week after I cancelled the first card. I wasn't expecting the perks (50k, FYF etc), I just wanted the card for a trip, but the card arrived after my trip so I wasn't sure I was even going to activate it as I figured it would trigger the AF. I figured I'd give it a shot and activated it in Nov, used it once and waited. Today, 50K appeared in my account! And no AF from Chase. The only thing missing is the Cat. 1-4 cert but I am not going to call and see where it is because a) I got the anniversary night, which I shouldn't have and b) I don't want anyone looking too closely to see that I had less than a week between card 1 cancellation and card 2 approval and claw back the 50K bonus points/charge me the AF. Unless you all think i should give it a try? Don't want to be greedy and the 50k is worth more than the 1 night Cat 1-4. Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered.

So my data point; two 50K bonuses in less than a year, with only a week between cancellation of card 1 and approval of card 2. So it seems in my case anyway, that you don't need to wait 6 months or a year between cards to get the same bonus again.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by Finkface
So my data point; two 50K bonuses in less than a year, with only a week between cancellation of card 1 and approval of card 2. So it seems in my case anyway, that you don't need to wait 6 months or a year between cards to get the same bonus again.
That is crazy good, I didn't think most people would even try (re-applying within 1 week) that with ANY CC issuer

Chase's is so inconsistent that it's not funny at all
Old Dec 19, 2014, 4:46 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by jerryhung
That is crazy good, I didn't think most people would even try (re-applying within 1 week) that with ANY CC issuer

Chase's is so inconsistent that it's not funny at all
I only reapplied because I realized the card would be handy for an upcoming trip right after I cancelled it. I called in to see if I could just re-open it but the rep said to reapply. I figured I had nothing to lose by using the 50k link but I truly wasn't expecting the 50k, FYF or the free night. As Meatloaf says, two out of three ain't bad....
Old Jan 15, 2015, 9:13 am

Applied today via the http://www.marriottrewards.com/cdnelitedm link
Answer 3 questions, Approved

Hope I see 50K points + free night in my "other" Marriott account
Old Jan 18, 2015, 9:55 pm

Programs: AC, UA, IHG, SPG, Carlson
Does your Marriott account have to be elite (silver, gold, platinum) to receive the 50000 points?
Old Jan 18, 2015, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by roubaolic
Does your Marriott account have to be elite (silver, gold, platinum) to receive the 50000 points?
I don't think so
Old Jan 18, 2015, 11:10 pm

Definitely not. We credit all stays to my wife's account before I applied for a MR account. Received full 50K pts when I was accepted for the Visa.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 1:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Día Amb, Hyatt Glob
Was reading the wiki. I've had the Marriott Visa for 1.5 yrs now, and have used it all over Europe, Asia, South America and Oceania and have never called Chase to let them know that I will be out of the country. Card has never been blocked.

(Greetings from Langkawi, Malaysia BTW. )
Old Jan 19, 2015, 1:52 pm

Programs: BA,Aeroplan,Delta, SPG, Marriot, IHG
Applied today via the http://www.marriottrewards.com/cdnelitedm link
Answer 3 questions, Approved

Hope I see 50K points + free night in my "other" Marriott account
Jerry - Is there reason why you chose "other" Marriott account. I am planning to apply the card for my spouse.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by peacestar
Jerry - Is there reason why you chose "other" Marriott account. I am planning to apply the card for my spouse.
I have 2 accounts, 1st one already had previous Chase Marriott associated with it, so I just used the other one hoping to get both free night AND 50K points (I think some said repeat churn only get 50K points and no free welcome night)

I'll report back
Old Jan 19, 2015, 9:05 pm

I saw this link in my Silver account
https://lp34.marriottpremier.ca/?JOBNUM=VMR1407005

vs. the Public one
https://lp12.marriottpremier.ca/?JOBNUM=VMR1207059
or https://lp12.marriottpremier.ca

Strange
Old Jan 19, 2015, 10:00 pm

Programs: DL GM,Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium, NEXUS
Does anyone know if you can have a US Marriott Visa and a Canadian Marriott Visa associated with the same MR account. Got a US one so far and was considering the Canadian one for the extra signup bonus. Plus, 2 x 15 nights yearly would make gold qualification pretty easy.

How picky is Chase Canada with approvals. Current credit score is 686 with low utilization. Do I stand a chance?
Old Jan 20, 2015, 2:22 am

I saw this link in my Silver account
https://lp34.marriottpremier.ca/?JOBNUM=VMR1407005
I'm also silver (with 0 stays) but clicking through your link I get the regular 30k offer after logging in.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by Hyacinthe
I'm also silver (with 0 stays) but clicking through your link I get the regular 30k offer after logging in.
Weird eh
I have 2 Silver CANADIAN accounts with CAD address, I see 50K offers after login on the dashboard below

1 account (~1000 pts) works fine for https://lp34.marriottpremier.ca/?JOBNUM=VMR1407005

1 links to a USA Chase 50K points offer (https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/mar...6TVB&SPID=F8PC)
but under Profile -> Credit Cards -> shows correct CAD 50K offer with a different link https://lp34.marriottpremier.ca/?JOBNUM=VMR1407014

Not sure what gives
Old Jan 20, 2015, 8:45 am

Programs: BA,Aeroplan,Delta, SPG, Marriot, IHG
I have 2 accounts, 1st one already had previous Chase Marriott associated with it, so I just used the other one hoping to get both free night AND 50K points (I think some said repeat churn only get 50K points and no free welcome night)

I'll report back
Thanks Jerry

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.