Search

Park Ridge, NJ, Marriott

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2001, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Park Ridge, NJ, Marriott

Hi!

I just secured a five-day stay at the Park Ridge Marriott through Priceline at the ridiculous low rate of 32$ a night for weekdays in November.

I was very much astonished to get this, and now I wonder if there's something wrong with the hotel, as this is a really low rate - even in Priceline dimensions.

So has anyone some insights or recently stayed at this hotel, and can give me some details on this property?

Thanks in advance for any info!

Greetings - Dirk
Old Jul 24, 2001, 2:49 pm
pjs

I stayed there about 5 years ago while attending a training class nearby. It's your basic, suburban Marriott. All that is nearby are some corporate campuses. If you are looking to be based in that area, then you definitely got a good deal. If you are using it as a base to go into New York City, you will be very disappointed. It's about 30 miles away and probably upwards of $60-70 for a car service. I believe the hotel is located off the last exit of the Garden State Parkway just before NY state.

FYI - There was a very good Italian restaurant a few blocks away. I forget the name, but the hotel will know.
Old Jul 24, 2001, 4:11 pm

I agree with the prior post. Park Ridge is not really near anything. BMW and Sony have headquarters near there.

I stayed there a few years ago for a number of months.

Your basic Marriott hotel.

Not very close to Manhattan. Is off exit 173 of Garden State Parkway in Jersey.
Old Jul 24, 2001, 11:38 pm
Original Poster

We are coming there from New York City (we stay there at the Marriott East Side) to just relax and use this as a base for exploring the area north and west of New York City, including (but not limited to) Woodbury Commons. This is why we have choosen this area when bidding on Priceline.

What made me wonder is that this price we got is only about 16% of the regular rate for our dates (190$/night), so I was wondering if they have major renovations either just going on or they are in need of something like it, or if the location is otherwise unsafe/undesirable to stay (not thinking in geographical terms...I know where it is located).

Greetings - Dirk
Old Jul 25, 2001, 4:53 am
msb

I stayed there quite a bit from 97-99. Basic Marriott - nothing special, nothing bad. Had to stop, though - there rates got ridiculous ($179+) so they were removed from our approved corporate list
Old Jul 25, 2001, 11:00 am

Well, if that's the case, its not a bad spot. The Woodberry Commons Outlet Shops are about 1 hour away.

You'll also be very close to the Palisades Mall that is huge and has an IMAX theater.

West Point Military Academy and Bear Mountain State Park are within 30 minutes.
Old Jul 28, 2001, 6:56 pm

Woodbury Commons actually is only 35 minutes from the Park Ridge Marriott. Hotel has an indoor/outdoor pool and workout room. The area is corporately upscale and very safe. You got a fabulous deal!
Old Jul 28, 2001, 9:47 pm
GG

Dirk, $32 even on priceline is remarkable. Congratulations!

If it's the Thanksgiving holiday period, in late November, however, it's a bit more understandable. We often have found rates in the range of $59 at Marriotts which normally would be $180 or more for corporate (never mind rack) rates that include full points, usw.

As long as you have a car, you should be fine. Don't try to stay there without one!

------------------
Beginners' Guide to the Delta Forum
Old Jul 30, 2001, 1:00 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the information, I feel a lot more comfortable now.

Just a quick note re: Thanksgiving: I mixed up the dates for this stay, which is actually in December. I arrive in New York in late November (after the Thanksgiving weekend IIRC), but checkin to the Marriott Park Ridge is Sunday, December 2nd. The quoted rate (194$) is already a corporate-rate, btw. Their rack-rate runs at 214$...

Greetings - Dirk

P.S.: And yes, we will have a car...;-)!
Old Apr 6, 2009, 9:17 pm

Programs: AA (Lifetime Gold, 1MM),UA(Premier Silver), Hilton(Diamond), Marriott (LTT), Hertz (PC)
I'm staying at the hotel currently.

The positives:
Frontdesk was very friendly and accomodating.
Got free upgrade to concierge level.
Choice of welcome gifts include wine? and champagne.
Received a coupon code for unlimited free Internet access

The negatives:
The only concierge level room that I ever stayed in that has a slightly slumped mattress and a rusty bathtub.
A mattress pad was put on top probably to cover the slumped mattress. It's still not very comfortable and feels weird.

While I like the service and attitude of the employees. I cannot continue to stay here until they fix the rooms. Those are very basic requirements.

They also have cut the mouthwash and some other freebies. To me those are more acceptable than bad mattresses and bad bathtubs.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 4:05 am

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
I stopped staying here due to rate climb in recent years. There were so many local corps right there w/ expense accounts paying the bills the rates often broke $250. Insane. . With the big cut back in corporate travel, I would think they must be hurting - but still, your rate is great! for you!

I had CL rooms and did not experience problems - but if you do, ask to change rooms. The staff here was excellent.

The number 1 selling item at Woodbury Commons is dufflebags/suitcases to get stuff home! You will have a car - if you need to; hit a Wal-Mart or Kmart in the area to get a suitcase; don't buy one there. It is the one outlet that does not have great prices!
Old Apr 7, 2009, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Wow...my eight-year old thread comes up to life again...;-)! Thinking back I really enjoyed my stay at that hotel. What I also remember was their "early bird special" in the restaurant...we usually are not seen very often in hotel-restaurants, but the combination of good pricing and very tasty food made us eat there every night.

In regard to buying suitcases - this indeed happens to us once in a while;-)! But we usually go to Ross or TJMaxx to buy one - they sell them for so much less than the outlet stores themselves. Just paid $124 (tax included) for a Samsonite Sahora brights 29'' suitcase there that was selling for $249 at the Samsonite outlet store nearby...

Greetings - Dirk
Old Apr 7, 2009, 5:21 pm

Programs: AA (Lifetime Gold, 1MM),UA(Premier Silver), Hilton(Diamond), Marriott (LTT), Hertz (PC)
Originally Posted by sophiegirl
I stopped staying here due to rate climb in recent years. There were so many local corps right there w/ expense accounts paying the bills the rates often broke $250. Insane. .
The rate can be as low as $159(my previous employer has that rate). My company has negotiated a rate of 179. No way I can get a $250 bill approved unless it's in Manhatten and no other options are available. Yes. the staff is great. I would have asked for a room change if I noticed the problems upon entering the room. However, they put a mattress pad on the bed to cover it. I also didn't check the bathtub until late in the night when I already got everything settled and ready for a shower. I expected this kind of issues would have been reported by housekeeping. The rusty bathtub was a very obvious problem. I have switched to Hilton Woodcliff Lake. It is slightly cheaper and within walking distance to the office. To be honest, I haven't seen any obvious cutback at this particular Hilton facility.. If you do business with Hertz right across the street from the Marriott, then it may make sense to stay here.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 8:37 pm

I stayed there on a Priceline stay in 2006 for a few nights for $75 a night. $32 a night is in fact a steal. Rather than taking a car service into NYC, you could always also take a taxi to either the Ridgewood or Allendale train stations and switch at Secaucus to make the train into Grand Central Station.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 8:02 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Quick update for this thread:

Just completed a one-night stay this weekend to burn off one of my Cat 4 certs. The last time I stayed here a year ago, the lounge was closed on weekends. Currently, their main restaurant (Allie's American Grill) is closed for significant renovations and the lounge is now open on weekends for breakfast. I had breakfast there this morning and it was the standard scrambled eggs and bacon, with oatmeal rounding out the hot items. Fruit, breads, and cereals were the cold items.

The rooms have been refurbished a bit; nothing special, but still nice to have newer furnishings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.