Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Pre-2019 - Marriott-family hotels in Tokyo, Japan

Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Marriott-family hotels in "xx" means all Marriott brand hotels in that city. It does not mean hotels that are family friendly, although there could be some family friendly ones on the list. But it refers to the various brands. Marriott-family hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc, & trip reports are usually in the property specific threads."
Print Wikipost

Pre-2019 - Marriott-family hotels in Tokyo, Japan

Old Jan 31, 2002, 2:30 am
In Memoriam

This is the former Ginza Tobu, rebranded as the Rennaisance. No executive lounge, they do have executive levels, and with that you get a silver/grey key instead of a gold one.

Location is OK, close to JR and Subway lines. 20 Year old Japanese Hotel with the original furnishings (bed linnen too I think)

Not Horrible, just not a true Rennaisance Property.

I stayed there five times as a Platinum and received exactly the same as you will as gold, nothing....

One ,more reason that I switched to Hilton.

If you can, stay at the New Otani, better Hotel and you will still get your Marriott Points
Old Jan 31, 2002, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
I have never been treated worse at a Marriott-family property than at the Renaissance Tokyo. They gave me a terrible room last time I was there (in 1999), and I had to fight for a better one, still not very good. Search for my postings on this subject; you'll learn more.

The hotel is in a very convenient location, but I couldn't get even a mint on my pillow! And they were so gleeful in telling me, over and over again, "This isn't a Marriott!"

Bruce
Old Feb 1, 2002, 4:16 pm

Location is good. Benefits are non existant, rooms are tiny. But.... it's better than the Marriott from a location standpoint so it's probably your best choice for the points.
Old Feb 9, 2002, 12:59 pm

closest to NRT?

I'm probably going to be stuck spending the night at NRT and would like to know which hotel would be closest and I can earn Marriott Rewards at... any thoughts?

Thanks
Old Feb 9, 2002, 8:42 pm

Location: Texas AA EXP 4.5 mm, United Gold, Marriott Plt, Hilton Diamond
I always paid the $30 bus fee each way to the Renaissance Ginza Tobu...... Nice, by Tokyo standards, but small rooms with VERY hard beds. Walking distance to all the sights of Ginza.

------------------
AA member since 1981
Old Feb 10, 2002, 2:50 pm

The Marriott Kinshicho Tobu is physically closer to Narita than the Renaissance Ginza, which however doesn't mean transportation time is the shortest. It is also completely out of the way for Tokyo activities, unlike the centrally located Renaissance. However the Marriott is probably the better hotel.

Note you also get Marriott points at the rather more luxurious New Otani Tokyo and New Otani Makuhari properties. The New Otani Makuhari is the closest to Narita of the four hotels above.

You may wish to check those two previous threads:

Tokyo Renaissance v. Marriott

access to Tokyo Marriott

[This message has been edited by monahos (edited 02-10-2002).]
Old Mar 5, 2002, 10:39 am

New Otani (sp?) in Tokyo

This is where I've been told by company to stay so does anyone know about it? Is it close to Roponggi?

Is it apart of the Marriott Reward's program?

What room level should I get and what's the price?

Thanks!
Old Mar 5, 2002, 11:18 am

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum63/HTML/000710.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum63/HTML/000628.html

http://www.Marriottrewards.com/rewar...ms/earning.asp
(Look under hotel partners)
Old Mar 9, 2002, 11:06 am

I would recommend you also join the "New Otani Club", I find the Elite level benefits at this property better from New Otani Club than Marriott Platinum.

Nick
Old Mar 12, 2002, 12:48 am

Renaissance Tokyo - elite benefits?

Hello,

Can anyone who's stayed at this Ren property in Ginza lately please share their recent experience with elite benefits, e.g. did you get room upgrades, concierge lounge access, etc?

As a Gold, I'm just wondering if things have changed since last year, when this property was known for not providing elite benefits, other than the standard earning bonus.

I'll be at this property this week, and want to set my expectations accordingly. Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 12, 2002, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
I stayed there in 1999 and have never been treated worse by a Marriott-family hotel. You can search for the story on other threads. This place is not good.

Bruce
Old Mar 12, 2002, 2:06 pm

Location: St. Louis, MO - AA PLT/2.98MM (Lifetime PLT), Delta PM, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Programs: TW Elite (RIP), CO OnePass
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by bdschobel:
You can search for the story on other threads. This place is not good.
</font>
I did a search by your userid, but couldn't find any threads dating back to 1999.. can you provide a link or additional pointers to your story.

Greg

Old Mar 12, 2002, 3:27 pm

I am aware of the Ginza hotel's **past** reputation for elite treatment, but how about **recent** times (like, last 3 months)? Should I keep my expectations low for getting room UG's and concierge lounge access? Any help appreciated.

[This message has been edited by ntamayo (edited 03-12-2002).]
Old Mar 12, 2002, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, here's one short version:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum63/HTML/001402.html

Bruce
Old Mar 13, 2002, 3:49 pm

Location: Texas AA EXP 4.5 mm, United Gold, Marriott Plt, Hilton Diamond
Definitely not up to Marriott standards. Small rooms and smaller "HARD" beds. AC is turned off in the winter and the rooms tend to get unusually hot on the warmer days. I had to fight for anything resembling upgrade and they didn't want to do that.... ie a breakfast coupon.

The only real thing going for this hotel is LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION...... its awesome there..... short walk to Ginza, Nissan, Mitsubishi and the Fish Market. Around the corner from major subway station too.

The Hotel stays very busy because of its awesome location. Staff was helpfull and attentive but nothing special for us FT's.

------------------
AA member since 1981

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.