Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Los Angeles area

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Los Angeles area

Old Jun 17, 2005, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA Global Services , Marriott Platinum
Talking Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Los Angeles area

Hello!

I plan to book a weekend trip to LA and would like a little advice on which Marriott I should choose. My friend and I have never been to LA and plan to do all the basic LA stuff - shopping, nice restaurants, the Walk of Fame... Can someone suggest a good Marriott in a good part of LA? Or should I go for the points saver rewards at the Ritz in Pasadena or Marina Del Ray?

Any suggestions would much very much appreciated!

Thanks!
Old Jun 17, 2005, 7:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Plt Prem, CO Plt, AA Gold
Cool My opinion

Originally Posted by KimmyAA
Hello!

I plan to book a weekend trip to LA and would like a little advice on which Marriott I should choose. My friend and I have never been to LA and plan to do all the basic LA stuff - shopping, nice restaurants, the Walk of Fame... Can someone suggest a good Marriott in a good part of LA? Or should I go for the points saver rewards at the Ritz in Pasadena or Marina Del Ray?

Any suggestions would much very much appreciated!

Thanks!
I would give Pasadena a pass. Marina Del Rey would be nice, but its a bit of a drive to the Hollywood sights. Take a look at the Hollywood Renaissance. You can't beat the location - next to the Kodak Theater where they do the Oscars, next to Graumann's Chinese Theater and right on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. Its about a 15 minute drive to Beverly Hills and 25 minutes to Santa Monica and the beach . I enjoy having dinner in an outdoor restaurant on the Santa Monica pedestrian mall - great to people watch and there is always outdoor performers to entertain you while you eat dinner.
Old Jun 17, 2005, 8:17 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
The Ritz Carlton in Pasadena is a lovely old property.Most of the rooms are somewhat small,but beautiful.Be aware that they are undergoing a restoration.
The RC Marina Del Rey is nice enough-not my favorite location(land of condos and chain restaurants)
I like the Renaisance Hollywood-but the area still leaves a lot to be desired.But if you like mid century"cool"maybe you would like the Renaissance Hollywood(PS-the Wolfgang Puck place in the Hollywood and Highland complex is great-but make reservations first.)
It is a real shame they rebranded the old BH Renaissance(now a Lowes)it had a great location and was a nice property in need of some TLC.
So-as you can guess the Marriott presence here(with the exception of the airport area)is limited.I guess I would second the above recomendation of the Hollywood Renaissance,with the Pasadena RC coming in second-especially if you can upgrade to a suite.
Old Jun 17, 2005, 8:59 pm

Programs: former UA1K, Marriott/Hilton Silver
Loved Manhattan Beach Marriott, get upper floor facing golf course. Nice place and very reasonable weekend rate.
Old Jun 17, 2005, 9:44 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Based on what you said you are looking for, the Renaissance Hollywood would fit the bill. You'll definitely get the "feel" of L.A.
Old Jun 17, 2005, 11:31 pm

Programs: CO Platinum, NWA Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Starwood Gold, Hertz #1 Gold 5*
If you are interested in heading a little south you might want to try the Long Beach Renaissance. I always have my customers stay here when they come into town and have never had a negative comment. Its in a perfect location on Pine street and not too far from the ocean.
Old Jun 18, 2005, 6:29 am

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
All good suggestions. I'd add Le Merigot to the list for a SoCal weekend. It's in the heart of Santa Monica, a block from the beach and the Santa Monica pier, a couple of blocks from high powered shopping and celebrity-watching restaurants.
fmastr likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2005, 2:19 pm

I second the Manhattan Beach Marriott it is not really too far from the sights and the views from the Golf Course rooms are great.

Also, within walking distance are some pretty good restaurants and a pretty nice mall.

Dan
Old Jun 18, 2005, 10:24 pm

Programs: NW PE, Marriott Gold, Alamo-what are they calling it this week?
Hands down

The Hollywood Renaissance should be your first and only choice.

Being the official hotel of the Dr Phil show - how can you go wrong?

I have enjoyed every stay there. Every.
Old Jun 18, 2005, 11:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HHDmd, MBvLTPLT, PCAmb/Dmd, HYT Dis
Mr.Airport said The Hollywood Renaissance should be your first and only choice..

Agreed... absolutely for a first trip to LA to do touristy things. On a later trip you could look at Santa Monica or Manhattan Beach for the LA beach experience (though if you are in San Diego, it is not that different) or Pasadena. But for now, ignore the rest of these suggestions and book in Hollywood.
Old Jun 18, 2005, 11:37 pm
Original Poster

Smile

Thanks so much for your suggestions! I'm going to book the Renaissance!

Happy travels...

Kim
Old May 6, 2006, 8:07 pm

Programs: NWA, SWA, AA, Fronier,HHonors Gold VIP, PC Plat
Talking Best LA Area property?

Guys
I need you help , I have been saving my points and I have my 5 year anniversery in August, we are looking for something cool and nice. I am gold, so any suggestions on upgrade friendly properties would be nice also. Thanks for any adivice ^
Old May 7, 2006, 10:14 am
Original Poster

I would recommend the Renaissance in Hollywood. Great hotel. Nice spacious rooms and a short walk to the Walk of Fame.

I stayed there as a gold on points and did get quite a nice room (not a suite, but a large room with a great view).

Enjoy LA!
Old May 7, 2006, 10:58 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
Happy anniversary!

If you want to do a Hollywood thing, I will second the nomination for the Renaissance Hollywood. I stayed there about a month ago on a weekend using points. I am a platinum and the only "upgrade" I got was the club floor - but the lounge was closed for the weekend All of the Hollywood touristy stuff is literally outside your door - Kodak Theater, Chinese Theater, Walk of Fame etc. I would not venture too far away on foot however, as the neighborhood gets a little dicey, especially at night.

If you want to do something a little closer to the beach, you might want to look at the Marina Del Rey Marriott. It is pretty much a standard business class Marriott and is walking distance to Venice Beach.

There is a JW Marriott in Santa Monica that is a category 7 award property which looked quite nice in the hotel directory, but I have not stayed there so I can't comment on the quality of accomodation.
Old May 7, 2006, 11:56 am

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
The Anaheim Marriott is within walking distance of the Disneyland Resort. That gives you two theme parks and the whole Downtown Disney area to explore and enjoy. Plus you've got the rest of L.A. within easy driving distance.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.