Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

London Marriott County Hall, UK [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 6, 2016, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]

Exec lounge renovation is complete. Access is elite+1. Children must be accompanied by an adult. Maximum of 2 guests per room for Lounge access. Ł80 charge for third adult and Ł40.00 for a child.

Swimming pool:

Adults: open 5:30am-11:00pm weekdays, last entry 10:15pm; 6:00am-11pm weekends, last entry 10:15pm

Children under the age of 16 may access the pool from 9am-7pm & must be accompanied by an adult
Print Wikipost

London Marriott County Hall, UK [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2003, 9:11 pm
Suspended

John69:

I don't understand something. You knew of two rate plans that provided breakfast - V88 and V12 -- both of which present fairly reasonable rates.

What rate did you receive that was better then either of these that did NOT supply breakfast?

True, breakfast may have been expensive, but the above rates would have subsumed that expense in the rate, and also, I thought that you were a Gold or higher and thus were eligible for Concierge Lounge Access?
Old Jul 17, 2003, 11:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Plat MM
As I commented in this thread, County Hall was a mixed bag of experiences. There is merit in what John69 says. Maybe there have been cutbacks of late?

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by John69:
Dear all,

I've been reading so many good things about this hotel, so I decided on trying it out this week (they had a good rate available).

My experiences are not that good, however, let me share some thoughts with you:

1) The room
The room is fairly large for London standards, but does not 'exhibit' the flair of a 5* hotel room. It feels worn off, the worst thing is that all the goodies (gown, umbrella, ...) have large signs with the charge if you take them away from the room.
</font>
The room was nowhere near as nice as Chancery Court, for example. A bit more spartan and less plush, but an excellent size and the view!!! I did find the "price tags" on just about everything portable rather amusing. Ł40 for a cheap umbrella and Ł75 for a worn terry bathrobe seemed a bit much. Made me wonder what they would do if you used the umbrella and it blew inside-out in the wind.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by John69:
2) The swimming pool
The pool is 25 mtrs long, but fairly narrow. It only allows 4-5 people to swim lanes next to each other, making it look crowded very quickly. It is also very inconvenient that everyone needs to pick up the access code for the pool (located on the 5th floor) in the spa club on the 6th floor.
</font>
Can't comment on the pool.

3) The hotel staff
They are friendly, but don't showcase any special flair!
</font>
Actually some of the staff were quite unfriendly, including at least one housekeeper and one lounge attendant. We returned late one afternoon while the housekeeper was finishing our room. She was not happy. The service and attitude in the lounge were one of the worst I've experienced in a first-class hotel. They actually ran out of food by 8:30 one morning and basically just announced that was it, no more was coming. A manager intervened and apparently more was found, but we didn't wait around to see. The attendants were preoccupied with getting people to sign-in and indicate the number of guests they brought. Any extras were to be charged at rates clearly posted on the wall. Afternoon tea was not offered and the evening hors d'ouevres were paltry. I was impressed by the doormen/bellmen and the front desk staff, who remembered my name despite very limited contact.

4) Breakfast
Same as always, but incredibly expensive. I personally find the Marble Arch breakfast to be exactly the same, but at a lower price.!
</font>
Ah, the ubiquitous Marriott UK breakfast. Average and expensive.

5) Location
You need to walk quite a bit to get to the attractions, even after Theatre you probably would end up taking a cab.!
</font>
Here I disagree. County Hall is all about location. More Tube choices, more food options (especially in the evening) and did I mention the view!!!

Old Jul 18, 2003, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: 2008 FT1 Fantasy Football Champion
the worst thing is that all the goodies (gown, umbrella, ...) have large signs with the charge if you take them away from the room.
</font>
We just swiped the sign with all the prices on it. After all, there wasn't a charge listed for the actual sign...

------------------
Leadership is not about personal privilege or power.
The duty of the leader is to serve the needs of those
who are led.
-Jan Erteszek
Old Jul 18, 2003, 9:49 am

I did not use the V88 and TFB rates for an obvious reason: They are simply not available on weeknights at the County Hall.

I used the LHS rate, which did include breakfast. The only comment I wanted to make is that I consider it to be average and the price they normally charge to be too high.

By the way, I'm only Silver but will get to Gold in 2 weeks time (tend to travel all the time these days).
Old Jul 20, 2003, 7:44 am
Suspended

Am at the County Hall and I think it is great -- the staff are superlative and the Concierge David is excellent!

The buffet breakfast is 20GBP and although the Concierge Lounge is small, it now does serve lox and smoked salmon, as well as salamis in the morning, although if the breakfast is included in your rate, you should go downstairs and enjoy it.

There is a fine takeaway Asian called Mr. Ned's behind the hotel, and the walk with luggage to Waterloo Tube is about 10-15 mins, depending upon the amunt of luggage and how fast you walk. It is easy, however!
Old Sep 29, 2003, 4:59 pm

Barry...I'll be at the County Hall in October for a week on points and have the upgraded room view. Any suggestions about restaurants and must-see things just outside the door (easy walk distance)?

Brian
Old Sep 30, 2003, 7:14 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Plat MM
Parliament and Big Ben to the left, London Eye to the right, just for starters. Avoid the Chinese restaurant in the hotel - expensive food, small portions, lousy service. Lots of threads to be found with search function.
Old Sep 30, 2003, 11:50 am
Original Member

Programs: AA- Lifetime Platinum; Marriott - Lifetime Platinum: Starwood - Gold; IHG - Platinum
There is a McDonalds in the same building. This is helpful for those who have children.
Old Sep 30, 2003, 4:57 pm

I've given the same recommendation in another thread, but Shino's, which is on the Embankment in the lower level of CH, is the greatest bar in the entire world. I will be in town in January, and I intend to be at Shino's promptly upon arrival. There's nothing quite as cool as sitting on one of their couches with a pint and good friends while listening to live jazz and having Big Ben framed perfectly in the window. I hear the food is also good, but I typically don't go there to eat.
Old Oct 31, 2003, 10:49 am

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond (x2), IHG Platinum
Stayed at County Hall in August and it was wonderful. Stayed on a reward and got upgraded to a very nice room with the Eye right outside my window.

4 people would be fine in the room.

Jeff

------------------
What flight am I on today?? :-)
Old Nov 17, 2003, 5:50 am

Programs: LH SEN, BA Silver, HH Silver
Report: Cheap Sunday stay at London County Hall

Last week I discovered that the Marriott London County Hall is offering a very reasonable MR exclusive (M11) rate for Sunday nights: GBP 85 + TAX, incl. Breakfast.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">COURTYARD/JUBILEE GDNS VIEW. EX TAX INC BFAST

Rate Information:
* *TEMPTING OFFERS FROM AROUND THE UK AND IRELAND**
(VALID NOW THROUGH FEBRUARY 2004);
* 50 PERCENT DISCOUNT OFF STANDARD ROOM RATE;
* VALID SUNDAY NIGHTS ONLY</font>
The normal rate of such a room for next Sunday is GBP 239 (excl. breakfast). For reference, tax is 17.5%.

I live about one hour by train north of London, so I decided to try the County Hall Marriott and spend a nice day in London without having to worry about catching the last train home at night.

I went to London in the morning spend some time shopping and checked in at the Marriott around 14:00. The check-in agent at first couldn't find my reservation based on my name/MR number ("Did you book that today, Sir?"). When I gave her the confirmation number and she switched to a different computer she found it, but clearly she was a bit puzzled by the reservation. She asked one of her colleagues ("Have you ever seen one of these?") -- luckily the colleague had ("that's basically a 50% off rate. If it is not available, just use a Leisure break and change the rate."). Five minutes of typing later she managed to print the check-in form. Then she discovered that the rate included breakfast, which seemed to surprise her even more. Clearly they normally charge quite a bit more. Overall, check-in was a bit slow, but friendly and good-humoured.

The room was on the second floor and had a view to the east (towards Waterloo, no chance to glimpse Big Ben ) but had a nice view of the London Eye, which was very pretty at night. The room wasn't luxurious, but decent sized and the furniture was ok. The same is true for the bathroom. High-speed Internet worked fine but was somewhat steep (Ł15). My only complaint about the room if I had to stay there more than one night is that it was about a miles walk from the entrance!

Breakfast in the restaurant was very nice, both hot and continental buffets; not cheap though: continental was GBP 16. The staff was very friendly and professional.

The hotel seemed fairly empty. Hardly any other guests in the lobby (afternoon, evening) or the restaurant in the morning.

Overall this was an excellent stay and I am sure I'll use this rate again soon.

[This message has been edited by gunnar (edited Nov 17, 2003).]
Old Nov 17, 2003, 12:12 pm

gunnar,

Thank you for the heads-up! I've never allowed myself to splurge for the County Hall, but this rate is too good to pass up. I'm booked for the 11th of January.

Cheers,
Neil
Old Nov 17, 2003, 4:01 pm

Programs: AA Gold, PC Plat, Hilton Gold
Looks like a great deal, does this rate allow for changes or refundable? What tube stop would be the closest to the hotel? Thanks
Old Nov 17, 2003, 9:06 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by chichi:
Looks like a great deal, does this rate allow for changes or refundable? What tube stop would be the closest to the hotel? Thanks</font>
chichi,

I booked this rate earlier today, and it didn't say anything about being non-refundable, so I assume it follows the same rules as regular Marriott rates.

As for Tube stops, there are several nearby. If you're cheap like me and are taking the Tube straight from LHR, the Picadilly line runs straight to the Embankment stop, and it's a short and lovely walk to the CH over the new pedestrian bridges and along the river. That said, the Westminster and Waterloo stops are closer.

As an aside, I often crash the CH when I arrive into London early in the morning to wash up in one of their lovely restrooms. I'm looking forward to actually being a guest there....
Old Nov 18, 2003, 10:49 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by sonofapilot:
chichi,

the Picadilly line runs straight to the Embankment stop
</font>
To my knowledge this is incorrect, the nearest the Picadilly Line gets to County Hall is Green Park. Agree that Westminster is the closest though . . .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.