Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Glasgow Marriott, Scotland, United Kingdom [Master Thread]

Old Jul 16, 2012, 6:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA - Bronze, Hilton - Platinum

Hi - I have done a search of the threads and found some of the answers to my questions - however would appreciate any answers around the following:

I am booked on a paid stay at Glasgow Marriott, and having taken advantage of the Status Challenge to Gold, am currently Priority Club Plat and temporarily upgraded to Marriott Gold, I can see on my booking that my room type has been upgraded to Executive Lounge Access.

I understand for being a Gold Member that you are entitled to Breakfast - is this served in the lounge?

What time does the lounge close and what is offered in the lounge by way of refreshments.

Any other comments?

Thanks
Chris

PS - Does anyone know what this is about on my booking: "Due to a high profile sporting event, there will be additional security within the hotel July 13-27, 2012"?
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Coakers
Hi - I have done a search of the threads and found some of the answers to my questions - however would appreciate any answers around the following:

I am booked on a paid stay at Glasgow Marriott, and having taken advantage of the Status Challenge to Gold, am currently Priority Club Plat and temporarily upgraded to Marriott Gold, I can see on my booking that my room type has been upgraded to Executive Lounge Access.

I understand for being a Gold Member that you are entitled to Breakfast - is this served in the lounge?

What time does the lounge close and what is offered in the lounge by way of refreshments.

Any other comments?

Thanks
Chris

PS - Does anyone know what this is about on my booking: "Due to a high profile sporting event, there will be additional security within the hotel July 13-27, 2012"?
As a Gold member you're entitled to exec lounge access. So the breakfast offered will probably be in there. What is offered for breakfast varie by property. Some properties give an option of lounge or restaurant, but that's at their discretion. Those without a lounge provide breakfast in the restaurant.

Re: the extra security. Sounds like one of the teams playing might be staying in your hotel, hence the additional security re: overzealous fans, etc. I encountered that in San Francisco when the 49ers were playing the Cowboys several years ago.

Re: exec lounge hours etc. If you ever want to know things like that, go the property's website, click on explore our hotel, then guest rooms, then click on a room type offering lounge access & it will bring up details of hours, what's offered when, etc (well, usually - that varies by property).

For the Glasgow Marriott it says:

This room features Executive lounge access
Open: Sun-Sat, Open: 06:00hrs to 00:00hrs Daily
Closed: No food or alcoholic beverages available from Friday evening until Sunday morning
Complimentary non-alcoholic beverages
Business services, for a fee
Free Beer and wine available Sunday to Thursday evening

So, the lounge is open daily from 6am-midnight. However, it's 'closed' on the weekend in that it doesn't serve food or drink from probably after the breakfast hour on Fri until appetizer hour on Sun eve. In that case you'll probably get breakfast in the restaurant on Sat/Sun if that's when you're staying.

It's also a change from a year ago when it was reported open in the sticky.

If you decide to stay at the property, please do a 'trip report' after your stay so FTers will have updated info.

Cheers.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Jul 16, 2012 at 10:45 am
Old Jul 16, 2012, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by Coakers

Hi,

I think that maybe because of the Olympics and some of the football ( soccer) matches taking place in Hampden ( Glasgow) there may be some teams staying at the Marriott and that the visible security will be stepped up ( maybe at the lifts also) with some floors only for the teams.

Regards

TBS
Old Jul 17, 2012, 2:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
The lounge is OK.

Top floor of the hotel with so so views. A little small with a few tables and a small seating area.

Decent breakfast with hot choice of bacon, eggs and sausage. OK snacks in the evening and there are always a selection of crisps, snacks and biscuits to take away.

Free booze in the evening plus normally jolly nice nibbles.

The best bit of an exec room is that you have a welcome pack with water, fruit, a can of Irn Bru and a Tunnock's Caramel Wafer. Not sure what the fruit is doing there, but the rest is a good example of Scotland's culinary gifts to the world!
Old Aug 7, 2013, 3:12 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by thegoderic
The best bit of an exec room is that you have a welcome pack with water, fruit, a can of Irn Bru and a Tunnock's Caramel Wafer. Not sure what the fruit is doing there, but the rest is a good example of Scotland's culinary gifts to the world!
I can confirm that this is still the case.

Food in the lounge is the usual: eggs, saugage, bacon and bread for breakfast; 2 hot items and some cold items for dinner. They also serve beer, red and white wine for dinner.

The lounge is closed on weeks, although you can access it for soft drinks and water.

The Leisure Club has a pretty nice pool, with sauna and stream room but no whirlpool.

Lounge opening times:

Open daily: 06.30 - 24.00
Breakfast: Monday-Friday 06.30-10.30
Hors d'oeuvres: Sunday - Thursday: 18.00 - 20.00
Alcoholic beverages: Sunday - Thursday: 18.00 - 20.30
Old Oct 21, 2014, 1:41 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1K
Glasgow Marriott

*** waves ***

Greetings from the Glasgow Marriott

Full Suite upgrade
Lounge was quiet with good nibbles
IRN BRU & Caramel Wafer still in the welcome pack...
Pint of Tennents in hand
Happy man :-)
Old Oct 21, 2014, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by Wickersley
*** waves ***

Greetings from the Glasgow Marriott

Full Suite upgrade
Lounge was quiet with good nibbles
IRN BRU & Caramel Wafer still in the welcome pack...
Pint of Tennents in hand
Happy man :-)
And the exec lounge situation on the weekend is? Haven't had an update in over a year. Pls advise. Thx!

Cheers.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
I'm a lowly silver so I don't know about the lounge, but since the thread is on the first page anyway I'll post my thoughts about my August stay.

Decent place, nothing special. City bus out front runs fairly often to the east, no decent way to go north or west without walking. Airport bus drops you off a couple of blocks away but up the hill. Not too much around the place in terms of food/beverage, although I found a acceptable pub about five blocks straight north along the freeway frontage road.

For unloading expiring Megabonus nights which I had acquired very cheaply, it was fine. Otherwise, I'd probably pass unless I was Gold/Plat.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 8:37 pm

Is there still haggis offered at breakfast? Scary meats
Old Oct 21, 2014, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
I'm a lowly silver so I don't know about the lounge, but since the thread is on the first page anyway I'll post my thoughts about my August stay.

Decent place, nothing special. City bus out front runs fairly often to the east, no decent way to go north or west without walking. Airport bus drops you off a couple of blocks away but up the hill. Not too much around the place in terms of food/beverage, although I found a acceptable pub about five blocks straight north along the freeway frontage road.

For unloading expiring Megabonus nights which I had acquired very cheaply, it was fine. Otherwise, I'd probably pass unless I was Gold/Plat.
Thanks for the trip report. We welcome them all, regardless of status level.

Cheers
Old Oct 22, 2014, 12:08 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1K
Originally Posted by jerseygirl
Is there still haggis offered at breakfast? Scary meats
Yes indeed

Plus crispy fried black pudding

(No wonder we Scots have health issues, but that's for another thread....)

Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick

Decent place, nothing special. City bus out front runs fairly often to the east, no decent way to go north or west without walking. Airport bus drops you off a couple of blocks away but up the hill. Not too much around the place in terms of food/beverage, although I found a acceptable pub about five blocks straight north along the freeway frontage road
I agree with you in all counts; in fact, I'd advise against walking...it's not in the "best" of areas & there are certainly better hotels in the City

Last edited by Wickersley; Oct 22, 2014 at 12:14 am
Old Oct 22, 2014, 2:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
And the exec lounge situation on the weekend is? Haven't had an update in over a year. Pls advise. Thx!

Cheers.
I was there in April this year Sharon.

Lounge closed on the weekends, but key-accessible for soft drinks (and packets of nuts and crisps). A very nice breakfast was offered in the hotel restaurant (with lots of vege options) on the weekend to Plats & Golds.

I forgot to mention – they gave me a 750 ml bottle of wine as my Platinum amenity and a snack, as the hotel was very full and they were unable to upgrade me.

Last edited by Wembleygal; Oct 22, 2014 at 2:42 am Reason: added line
Old Oct 22, 2014, 4:12 am

Programs: BA, Marriott, Hertz, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Lounge is open all weekend but only for crisps (chips to our US cousins), hot drinks and soft drinks. Breakfast at the weekends is served in the main restaurant, where haggis, black pudding, white pudding and all sorts of other delectable are on offer.

And weekend refers to Friday evening to Sunday afternoon. The bar is open from Sunday night in the lounge.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 4:14 am

Programs: BA, Marriott, Hertz, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Originally Posted by Wickersley
I'd advise against walking...it's not in the "best" of areas & there are certainly better hotels in the City
It is perfectly safe to walk from this hotel to either the Hydro or into the city.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 5:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by nobbyclark
It is perfectly safe to walk from this hotel to either the Hydro or into the city.
Agreed ...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.