Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott @ Scrubb Island questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29, 2012, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

We have a category 8 certificate that we are extending to 2013 and are thinking of using it in February 13 at Scrubb Island. My concern is the cost. We trave to the Caribbean every winter for 1-2 weeks. Usually stay at a Marriott and spend around $150 a day on food. Being on a resort such as Scrubb would this be totally out of line? Wouldn't want to go and be in a seclueded situation and feel totally out of our league. Any help and comments would be appreciated.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 7:04 pm

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
I've done a lot of diving and boating around this island.

The resort looks gorgeous and definitely worth a try.

When you say $150, is that per person, for 2 people, 4 people? What are your eating habits? Do you order appetizers, drinks, etc? Being that the island is small and the restaurants are limited to those at the hotel, I'd say you'll need about $100/person/day for food. There are a bunch of other islands close by that have restaurants as well (Pussers on Marina Key is so close you could swim it).

At the end of the day, you're on vacation, live in the moment, and go home broke
Old Mar 1, 2012, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Yeah really depends how many meals you have and how many people. I'm assuming 2 people? From what I've read, dinner at the Scrubb island resort will run over 100 for 2ppl with an app and main dishes.

Good recommendation on Pussers. Its close by and I think they provide a ferry to get across.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 8:30 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Here's a link from Google search to a menu on Zagat's web site for Caravela restaurant (the first restaurant listed on the hotel's Explore Our Resort > Restaurants & Lounges web page): http://www.zagat.com/r/caravela-tarrytown/menu

I'll let you do the rest of the footwork of searching Zagat to find the menus for the other restaurants at that resort. Enjoy.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 8:31 am

Please post a Trip Report on your stay, we're thinking of going there too. I bookmarked it when they offered it as part of their Autograph collection. We plan on using points for our stay, and are really disappointed that Marriott discontinued their All Inclusive Option for the Caribbean Resorts.

My husband travels 5 nights a week, and usually stays in Marriotts. That was my reward for giving up my week nights with my husband.... to travel on vacation and have it all paid for with points, as appreciation for being a loyal Marriott customer for so many years. Overall, we have been very happy with Marriott and their Platinum Premier program. We do get recognized, and upgraded to suites on most occasions, and even been treated to wine and cheese in the room or a bottle of wine. Little touches like that add a nice touch, and make you feel appreciated.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 8:43 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Even better, here's their web site with their menus and prices: http://www.scrubisland.com/dining-on-scrub-island.html

Wow, this Google thing is amazing. They should have come out with something like this during the last millennium.

Now if only they would invent something where you could total up the amounts for one's party size and dining preferences. Hmmm, we could call it a a totaler. No wait, how about calling it a calculator as a totaler would only be for use by those that don't drink.

I would say $150/person is about right for food, more if you drink.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Even when they had the AI for points it was only at 7 resorts, and it is extremely unlikely they would have added it to an Autograph location.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

Information on Scrubb Island

We would love to go to Scrubb Island since we do have a cat 8 certificate to use up. My concern is that I haven't been able to get too much information on it. A few questions and potential concerns is that it could be extremely pricey. On what little information I could find it seems you are on an island and the food and drink could get very expensive. Does anyone have information if you could buy or bring on ferry alcohol and some snacks. Another question that appears is that it says there is a ferry to tortolla but then you would need to take taxis to restaurants. Looks like boating is the only way to get around? This is only my take on what I've read. I'd love to get more information. We are trying to take multiple vacations since my husband is retired and I'm one year away and we don't want to spend all of our vacation money on just one place. We usually budget $150-200 a day for food/drink. Would we be totally out of our league here? Appreciate any feedback.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can this be merged with the same poster's thread onthe same subject form just 3 days ago?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...questions.html
Old Mar 3, 2012, 5:47 am

And this thread with the exact same question too?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...osta-rica.html
Old Jul 14, 2012, 1:07 pm

Programs: UAL, Marriott, Skymiles, AAdvantage, trueBlue, Starwood Preferred Guest, Hyatt,Leaders Club, Alaska
Does anyone know the costs of renting a power boat at Scrub Island?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.