Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Renaissance or Marriott for weekend stay in SFO

Old Feb 8, 2001, 7:32 pm
Original Poster

I am taking my spouse for a weekend get-away to down town SFO for a decade turning birthday. Any recommendations would be helpful as to what would be the best property for a one night stay in downtown SFO.
Old Feb 8, 2001, 7:40 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Between these two, I'd go for the REN Stamford Court even though the rooms are not very large and some are not as fond of the place as they once were!

Have a great stay in any case!
Old Feb 8, 2001, 8:18 pm

Programs: Many
There is also the Renaissance Parc 55, which is not in as nice an area as the Stanford Court.
Old Feb 9, 2001, 2:43 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
I agree completely with Doc. The Marriott is a large, rather sterile convention hotel on the south side of Market away from Union Square. The Stanford Court is on Nob Hill, next to the Mark Hopkins and across from the Fairmont. We were a little disappointed in the rooms at the Stanford Court and also in the restaurant - great for breakfast but very mediocre for dinner. If you do stay at the Stanford Court, be sure to visit the Top of the Mark (Hopkins) at least for a drink.
Old Feb 9, 2001, 2:50 pm

No contest - Renaissance Stanford Court. Tiffany stained glass dome in the lobby is spectacular!
Old Feb 9, 2001, 3:52 pm

Programs: SPEBSQSA
Agree with all about the Stanford Court. Email or fax them about the occasion, and you may get an upgrade (it worked for me, and I'm only a MR Silver.)

BTW, the Stanford Court is at the crossing of the three cable car lines, so you can get anywhere easily. Stop at the news stand in the lobby and you can get a cheap pass good for all mass transit (sans BART.) Don't know what the 2-3 day is, but the 7-day is only $15.

Enjoy your trip.

------------------
Bob

There's no place like home...
there's no place like home...
there's no place like home.
www.wmonline.com
www.sunriseair.net

Old Feb 10, 2001, 1:55 pm

Location: UAL IK, Starwood Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Stanford Court is definately a nice, swank property. However, there is no concierge lounge and it is at the top of a huge hill (although there are cable cars). Marriott SFO is a huge hotel, but the rooms are typical. But the concierge lounge is nice. It is also in a convenient location, close to Metreon and shopping. If staying there, definatley go for drinks at the bar located on the top floor (forgot the actual name). Terrific few and atmosphere.

At the Stanford, try to ask for a room that does not face California or Powell, otherwise you will hear the cable cars all night.

Hope that helps.
Old Feb 15, 2001, 10:32 am

Programs: UA Gold Million Miler, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
I think it depends on what you plan to do in SF. If the Modern Art Museum and Market Street (shopping) are of interest, then Marriott. Walking distance to Sheraton Palace for Sunday Brunch in the Garden Room (not to be missed for such a special birthday). Near Boulevard and One Market Restaurants. For dinner at Gary Danko's (the hottest), try early evening (no one in SF would dream of eating at 530) or the bar where you can order dinner. Most inner city cab rides run about $5 a pop. Hotel parking is steep for a rental car.

Marriott is known locally as the Jukebox! It has a great bar in the top of the bldg and, for history buffs, opened the night of the 1989 earthquake! A chandelier broke loose. That was the extent of the damage.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.